XOR Line drawing

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Jagged
Great Wyrm

XOR Line drawing

Post by Jagged »

Hi All,

I have a question for any Java Swing experts out there, regarding line drawing. There are a few places in Maptool where where the UI draws some additional guiding lines in black, such as when you draw rectangles on a map or reveal fog. These are very helpful, but of course, vanish entirely when the background is black. This is particular obvious when you are revealing fog, where the background is almost always black ;)

So it occurred to me that this should be easily solved by using the XOR drawing mode, right? Except that the results are almost always awful. I tried specifying different XOR colours to see what effect it produced, but using anything other than black and white just seemed to make things worse :?

What I would really like to see is drawn lines that are either black or white (or possibly grey) but nothing else. Is there a way to limit the drawing palette in this way? Without effect the rest of the interface?

cheers

Jagged

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Re: XOR Line drawing

Post by Jagged »

Okay, seems XOR mode is generally considered rubbish.

Better to do your own outline. So I will draw a white line with a stroke of 3, followed by the original black with a stroke of 1. Looks much better ;)

RPTroll
TheBard

Re: XOR Line drawing

Post by RPTroll »

heh. Sorry, just reviewing old posts. This made me laugh.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Return to “Developer Notes”