Hosted Java Docs

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

joshsziegler
Cave Troll

Hosted Java Docs

Post by joshsziegler »

I've used http://readthedocs.org before with my Python projects to host the dev documentation. It's nice looking and you can set it up to rebuild the docs whenever the Git repo updates. It's really nice feature however is the versioned documents. So if you release v2, you still have a great, accurate place for version 1's documentation.

Is there any desire for something like this? Is there anything like that for JavaDocs? I believe we could get Sphinx working with the project, but I don't think that's the prefered solution. I'd be willing to do the work getting everything setup, but wanted to gauge interest first.

Craig
Great Wyrm

Re: Hosted Java Docs

Post by Craig »

Something like this would be nice, but one of the problems is the JavaDoc in the source code might be a little lacking... A few of us have started to address this when adding/modifying stuff, but the phrase a drop in the ocean comes to mind.

smaudet2
Cave Troll

Re: Hosted Java Docs

Post by smaudet2 »

I mean, honestly, if you really want good documentation it should be provided by the developer on the source control itself, or at least at a high-level in terms of org charts etc...there's not a lot of benefit readthedocs can do here...

Don't get me wrong that's nice for python documentation, but its basically the output of a process that doesn't exist in rptools. If there was documentation, then there would be the ability to auto-magically generate this documentation and stick it inside a doc jar, which could then be processed however (either into your IDE, or into a server somewhere, like readthedocs).

Return to “Developer Notes”