Design Documentation - Campaign File

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

fredjsquirrel
Kobold

Design Documentation - Campaign File

Post by fredjsquirrel »

I don't suppose there is such a thing as a document describing the current (1.3.91) campaign file structure?

Specifically I am looking to write a tool to export and input macro code from within a given Campaign file. The idea is that this would then allow me to easily edit my Macros using a preferred Text editor instead of the built in editor. I realize this isn't something you'd probably be willing to support as part of your project, but honestly, I'm just looking to do this for personal use. Of course I'd be more than willing to share with anyone who wanted it.

Having such a document would make life so much easier. I really have no desire to try and reverse engineer the file structure, that is just horribly tedious and error prone.

I've already taken a quick look at the SVN repository, but can't find anything obvious.

Thanks in advance.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Re: Design Documentation - Campaign File

Post by Jagged »

You might want to take a look at RPEdit

JML
Dragon

Post by JML »

aliasmask already created a tool for macro editing: RPedit - Macro Importer/Exporter and Editor

Otherwise, you can take a look at Mote.

Edit: ninjad :wink:

fredjsquirrel
Kobold

Post by fredjsquirrel »

Yeah, I've already taken a look at RPEdit.

What I'd like to see would be more along the lines of:
1) Export the macro code to a file.
2) Modify the code in Notepad++ (or editor of choice).
3) Import macro code back into Campaign (with a "Button" click, not cut and paste.
Repeat 2 and 3 as required.

While it will do what I want in theory, I was looking more for something a little less clunky. Don't get me wrong RPEdit is great and the more I play around with the Macro's I don't think what I want could be done with the existing system. It would probably require the Devs to add a feature to export and import file contents with in a Macro (or make it part of the Macro system itself). I'm pretty sure that isn't high on their list. So I'll have to live with things as they are.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Yep, it's cut and paste, but you can use ctrl-shift-C and it will copy the current macro in Notepad++ where the cursor is.

Return to “Developer Notes”