The road to 1.4.0 (and a bit beyond)

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Craig
Great Wyrm

The road to 1.4.0 (and a bit beyond)

Post by Craig »

So some time in the hopefully not too distant future -- not wanting to put a date on it yet because work is super crazy and will be for a few more weeks -- I want to put out a Maptool 1.4.0. For anyone interested here is basically a todo list of things I well need to do...

Before creating 1.4.0 release.
  • Complete the jnlp build process (its started but I need to complete it).
  • Create a git repository on github for the rplib project.
  • Create a gradle build for rplib
  • A few random bug fixes
  • Compare/update changes I have from JamzTheMan
  • Some more java 8 testing?
1.4.0 will be able to read 1.3 campaign files (but you wont necessarily be able to use a 1.4 campaign in 1.3)

Other things that need to happen but dont have to happen before the first 1.4 build, but should be done before subsequent builds
  • Move the repository the build process uses to rtpools.net
  • Update build to provide option for people to override above mentioned repository location
  • Create parser project in git with gradle build
  • Create dicetool project in git with gradle build
  • Update token tool with changes from JamzTheMan
  • Document procedures for submitting internationalisation files.
  • Hopefully some contributions to merge
What needs to be done sometimes after that
  • Lots of additions to the webapi stuff thats in the preview builds
Oh and how can I forget the few hours of beating my head against the wall while upgrading the Wiki...

Anyways this post is mostly part TODO list so I can sort out what needs to be done, as well as letting people know what needs to be done (I will update this post as I go), and part sleep deprived ramblings, and part place for people to reply to tell me if I missed something. Of course if anyone has a hankering to tackle one of the above projects then let me know-- most are not that exciting so not expecting many takers...

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Re: The road to 1.4.0 (and a bit beyond)

Post by JamzTheMan »

Sounds like a plan! My home project is wrapping up so may start having some free time to help out.

I want to try and get may current build out there so people can bang away at it some in case there are any bugs we can squash (if that piece is added to 1.4).

Also, if we don't change the campaign file drastically, I do have code that saves files backward compatible so we may be able to go 1.4 >- 1.3b91(89). Basically we just strip out fields/classes in the XStream output, wasn't to difficult. It may be a little "hacky" where I have it and could be formalized more, but I've been able to load my campaigns back to b89 with it.
-Jamz

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

We have design notes spreading about the forum. Where do we want to concentrate them? In the somethingororther topic, an old topic, or somewhere new.
Ideally there will be chunks that can be assigned out.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Could we get a subforum going, like the Java Programming Info? From there we can consolidate and list out what is going on and what needs to be done?

Leave the general area for general discussion for the "mays" and "coulds" and "wishes" and "theories" on 1.4. A subforum (whether free to join or by request) would be nice to have more "official" discussion, questions, etc.

Just my 2 cents.
-Jamz

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

I have created a parallel forum to this one and given all members of the Java Developer group access to post to the forum (everyone else will be read-only, but they will be allowed to vote in polls).

I also turned off the ability of users to add themselves to that group, and I removed anyone from the group that had 0 posts. Group membership is at about 70 now.

I've made RPTroll and Craig both global moderators and administrators on the board here, so they will have the authority (if not the will power ;)) to delve into board maintenance, beyond just adding people to the Java Developers group. (I'm sure Craig is thrilled about that, because he has nothing else to do in the evening.)

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Thanks Az! Lets get this party started!

So, who's going to post first? :) Or should we move this post over? RPTroll has some more work to keep him busy now... :)
-Jamz

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Glad to do it. I'm packed today with critical work items during the day but should have some time tonight to begin collecting our concepts into the new board.

Thanks, Az.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

The first topic I'd like to see is the "How to get MT 1.4 and Contribute" topic. Stickied and first post on how to get/sync with GitHub. Are we still using Eclipse as a standard (with attached code formatting) or moving to NetBeans or IntelliJ? (I'm cool with any).

Probably should reserve the first couple of posts so "Building with Graven" or such can be added. Unless you want that as a separate topic. (I could see some conversations just on building MT, getting it to a single JAR, packaging with Java Runtime, etc. I started packaging mine as an .exe for my players and it's working out much better, less confusing)

Of course it'll be fluid and we don't need to hash how the final build will be packaged/synced. It can be refined later, but if we can make it more concise and easier for new people on where to go and how to contribute, we may get some more devs or patchers. Always need patch fix submissions right? :)
-Jamz

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

JamzTheMan wrote:Are we still using Eclipse as a standard (with attached code formatting) or moving to NetBeans or IntelliJ? (I'm cool with any).
<eclipse fan>

In my job I manage a small team of developers and we have talked a lot about standardising to one IDE, which would either be Eclipse or Netbeans. But I have baulked at dictating a single IDE and have instead taken the stance that I will tolerate any IDE but all documentation must provide for Eclipse and Netbeans. This doesn't seem to add too much work. I note that all the "cool kidz" these days seem to be using Netbeans, primarily I believe, because the Eclipse Maven plugins are not as good. ;)

I think my point is, that if we want to encourage contribution there is no real need to restrict IDE and documentation for Eclipse is usually enough for users of other IDEs :)

</eclipse fan>

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

That's a good approach. Of course anyone can use any IDE if they want (even Notepad++), but we need just 1 set of instructions. (If someone else wants to post "How to use NetBeans for MT) that's cool too.

For Patches to, it makes sense to have a standard (code formatting to). We use Rational at work myself which is IBM's version of Eclipse so I'm most familiar with it. Heck, I only downloaded IntelliJ because it's Androids new standard but haven't installed it yet...

Also, on the same lines, I assume we will migrate to a new standard for UI/Forms (move away from Abeille) and most likely into JavaFX? Is there a good Plugin for Eclipse for this? I kinda liked the xml based UI editing Android does and looks very familiar to JavaFX's XML standard (be nice if there was a direct translation!).
-Jamz

Craig
Great Wyrm

Post by Craig »

For the source in github for 1.4 and the build instructions I have purposefully not mentioned any IDE because well I don't care so much what people use :)
Also i am not a fan of eclipse, too many times I have had to reinstall and start from scratch because a plugin update broke everything.
If someone wants to write instructions for eclipse then this is good, but I have a strong suspicion that it wont be me who writes them :)

When I last tried it -- which I will admit was a while ago -- eclipse had by far the worst gradle integration maybe its better now. For JavaFX there is
e(fx)clipse

I will create a post with instructions on how to get and build the source some time tonight after work.

smaudet2
Cave Troll

Post by smaudet2 »

Looks Great!

Sorry, I dropped off of the face of the planet for a bit there...I had personal medical issues, but those are fixed for the most part.

I've also got a bunch of other projects (hopefully) finishing up...can't really say much but its fun when something starts working. :)

I've still to read through the whole thread but I'll try to tackle items on here and post as a I resolve them.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

We've expanded on this and more here http://forums.rptools.net/viewforum.php?f=86

JML
Dragon

Post by JML »

As I don't remember it being a subject of it's own for quite a long time now, I dare asking: what are the dev team's thoughts on JavaScript as an additional script language?

I saw a few mentions here and there in the reviving 1.4 project threads (HTML server, database, etc.), but is there a overall plan? What are the main problems to be overcome? How difficult would it be?

Do we need to have access to HTML5 and CSS3 first? Would it happen simultaneously?

There were quite a lot discussions around this a long time ago, but as things have changed since then the answers might not be the same.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

The thread I linked to above contains information about 1.4.

This topic
http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=25800
contains the roadmap and discussion of what to include.

Under the broader 1.4 forum, you'll see the topics broken out into individual threads.

Return to “Developer Notes”