MT 1.3b16 Development Update

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

thelevitator
Dragon

Post by thelevitator »

I personally wouldn't really care if FOW wasn't revealed when I moved tokens (as the GM), since I can see everything on my map anyways. And I rarely have to assign vision to NPC/monsters, since I know most of the time what they can and cannot see.
"Neither hexes nor squares can confine me!"

James Anthony
"It's all in your head....."
http://www.spelz.net

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

trevor wrote:Actually, the problem _is_ the GM move, which is never restricted.
I actually was referring to the proposed feature of allowing a player to say "I want to move here" and then the GM approving that move (either by right clicking the token or the player) and having the move be in limbo until the GM approves. Once approved the token moves.

I was mostly joking about the more complex feature being a solution to fixing a less complex feature simply as a means for me getting what I want ;-)
So the GM doesn't _not_ trigger the expose feature ... ever ? What do the rest of you guys think ?
So basically not letting the GM auto expose on movements - he'd have to force expose? Wouldn't be a big issue with me since the only units that have vision are PCs and they move themselves.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

As long as you mean GM movement doesn't _ever_ trigger the auto-expose feature.

I would think that all token movement by the GM should require a manual expose operation.

Cweord
Great Wyrm

Post by Cweord »

I can live with that, but when the players are running their own movement I take it that fog will only be lifted when the 'drop' the token, and that they can only do that to a fixed distance per turn.
Cweord

This message has been spell checked by Freudcheck - any mistakes are purley a figment of your imagination.
-------
My Tokens Directory
http://gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/Cw ... er_Tokens/

AidyBaby
Dragon

Post by AidyBaby »

Sorry, but having GM move not auto-reveal fog would be a pain for me and my group.

As my game's face-to-face I spend as much time moving the players tokens as the nominated 'RPtools operator©' player (i.e. the mug who gets sat next to the player view laptop).

I appreciate the problems with the ol' teleport tomfoolery however. I think the 'pick-up token' idea is the best especially if tied to a hoy-key. i.e. don't wanna reveal fog? Move whilst holding er, shift (say). Also make the hot-key available to both players and DMs as I can't think of a reason why to not give it to players (I can't think of a good reason to give it either though, except I'm sure that someone will think of a use!).

-- AidyBaby --
D&D qualities are related inversely to those of Poker... and I love both.
http://www.yorkpoker.co.uk

pmbruner
Dragon

Post by pmbruner »

Talking about moving tokens brought to mind a kind of cool idea... I hope it is appropriate to mention it here if not prehaps you cn move this post to the correct area...

it would be cool to be able to hide a token or place it in a holding box that is not visible to the players... Screen Monkey had such a feature, it had a little area in the upper left of the screen and dragging a token into it or right clicking and selecting the hide token on the menu hid the icon, but it was still active in the token tree... double clicking the item in the token tree, restored the Icon to the map.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

pmbruner wrote: it would be cool to be able to hide a token or place it in a holding box that is not visible to the players...
This was actually my primary motivation for introducing the Pick Up feature, so we can put things out of play
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

trevor

Post by trevor »

Hawke wrote: I was mostly joking about the more complex feature being a solution to fixing a less complex feature simply as a means for me getting what I want ;-)
Sneaky :) And great strategy.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Phergus wrote:As long as you mean GM movement doesn't _ever_ trigger the auto-expose feature.
Correct

trevor

Post by trevor »

AidyBaby wrote: As my game's face-to-face I spend as much time moving the players tokens as the nominated 'RPtools operator©' player (i.e. the mug who gets sat next to the player view laptop).
Interesting case.

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

AidyBaby wrote:Sorry, but having GM move not auto-reveal fog would be a pain for me and my group.

As my game's face-to-face I spend as much time moving the players tokens as the nominated 'RPtools operator©' player (i.e. the mug who gets sat next to the player view laptop).

I appreciate the problems with the ol' teleport tomfoolery however. I think the 'pick-up token' idea is the best especially if tied to a hoy-key. i.e. don't wanna reveal fog? Move whilst holding er, shift (say). Also make the hot-key available to both players and DMs as I can't think of a reason why to not give it to players (I can't think of a good reason to give it either though, except I'm sure that someone will think of a use!).

-- AidyBaby --
In your case there is no GM (in MapTool) so this wouldn't affect you. The GM in the discussion is the operator running the server in a GM mode. I'm assuming you run it in Player View mode?
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me.

ImageImage

AidyBaby
Dragon

Post by AidyBaby »

I should've mentioned that we have two networked laptops - mine and theirs. They can't see my screen and therefore it is in GM mode so I can see the map, manage hidden tokens, etc, etc. The players run their laptop as a single player managing the entire party. Both of us move player tokens because if the player in charge of the player laptop is busy I can move the group or individual tokens to where the other players ask.

-- AidyBaby --

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

I see. There are still a couple easy work arounds. The easiest for Trevor would be for you to just grab the mouse to the other laptop and move tokens. A more complex, but elegant solution, would be that GM movement never exposes as long as it is in the GM view. If the GM switches his view to Player view then the movement exposes the map.

What do you think Trevor? Is that easy to do?
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me.

ImageImage

trevor

Post by trevor »

RPMiller wrote: What do you think Trevor? Is that easy to do?
Highly. Aidy, does that work for you ?

AidyBaby
Dragon

Post by AidyBaby »

Jumping up and running round the table to see their screen is not ideal to say the least, but auto-exposing fog when only in player view is something I can see working for me. Sounds good! Perhaps this should be the default for all the auto-exposing functions?

-- AidyBaby --

Return to “Developer Notes”