Donation idea: Wall of Features

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

dLANbandit
Dragon

Post by dLANbandit »

What a wonderful thought that is.... Just imagine the amount of features Trevor could churn out if it was is full time job.

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

The one thing about features is sometimes from a coding perspective, it's better to put in "X" feature because of it's relation to "Y" feature, even though "Z" had more donations...

Perhaps reward people by having their names on the "about" flash screen... ;)
Game On!

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

dLANbandit wrote:What a wonderful thought that is.... Just imagine the amount of features Trevor could churn out if it was is full time job.
My mind boggles :)
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Cweord
Great Wyrm

Post by Cweord »

Hell,

If I won the lottery I would seriously think of paying him to take a 6 month sabbatical to work on MT . . . .

but as some statistion figured there was more chance of Elvis landing a 747 on Route 66 than of winning the lottery, guess we'll have a long wait
Cweord

This message has been spell checked by Freudcheck - any mistakes are purley a figment of your imagination.
-------
My Tokens Directory
http://gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/Cw ... er_Tokens/

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

I've been thinking about this a little bit and I think if you want to keep the donation aspect of it all light and fun then I wouldn't go with the wall as described.

I'd do something like a "Feature Donation Drive" once a month.

My suggestion:

1) Make a list of 10 of the most wanted features that *also* coincides with features Trevor wants to work on.

2) Limit people to spending $5 on the drive (which they could split between features however they wanted.)

3) At the end of the month, the feature with the most money would be Trevor's priority.

4) At the same time, a new feature would be added to the new Top 10.

5) Previous features would retain their donation amounts, so the money people have given will still have weight. They could also add to that weight again for the next month.

6) Trevor could still choose to knock more than one feature off the list in a month. In fact, he might want to because that opens room for new features to go into the top 10 that might generate more interest or support. The key is to always have a living Top 10.

I think this creates a lot of up-side. I believe that it would encourage more participation, be affordable to everyone, give people equal say, not make donations seem like entitlements or setup up huge expectations, keep it fun and light (like penny poker), and hopefully not overshadow larger donations that would otherwise come with "no strings attached."

Optional: You could have a second list of "Top 10 Candidates" that is influenced by "over-donations" (anything over $5.) This candidate list could have no donation limits and just go to the highest bidders. So people who want to throw lots of money at RPTools to get their suggestions into the Top 10 can... but they will never have a guarantee that their money alone will make anything happen. The participating community as a whole, and Trevor's will, would still drive the direction of the development.

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

Full Bleed wrote:I'd do something like a "Feature Donation Drive" once a month.
I like this idea the most, seems fair, not overly crazy, and would be a good way to judge community needs (GMs could get their players to help donate to add features they want most in their games)
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

netjiro
Cave Troll

Re: Donation idea: Wall of Features

Post by netjiro »

What has happened with the wall of features? I can't get to the discussion links of any feature requests, and have not been able to do so for quite a while. Is the WoF still actively used or left to age and decrepitude?

brad
Great Wyrm

Post by brad »

I believe it is essentially on hold while 1.3 is in feature freeze at the very end here. From some of the other posts I have read, it sounds like it will become active again once the wrecking ball starts pounding away at 1.4.
View MapTool video tutorials at RPToolsTutorials.net

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

I for one would like to see the WoF not continued into 1.4

I think psychologically it takes some fun out of it for the programmer and it creates some expectation on the side of the donor. In addition, I think the model isn't quite as good now that there are a good ~5 people contributing bits of code to things they need/want that may or may not be on the wall.

I think we'll get to everything there, and am happy to have contributed heavily to it in the past, but would like to see it retire.

I am in favor of "earlier freezes" to try and get more frequent stable builds. I think doing so also makes it easier for secondary developers to contribute and test code.

That's my 0.02

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

The links from the wall pointed to the JIRA bug tracking system we were using, but was being hosted off-site. So the current location of it is down, and I don't have control over it.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Return to “Developer Notes”