MapTool build 7 notes

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

this build primarily has token properties, hex updates, and map screen shots. Next weeks build will be working on layers and stamps, which is a necessary step towards auto fow removal
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Post by Guest »

No right click, remove FoW in light source option?

:cry:

Oh well, I still have another couple weeks before I start DM'ing - not a big deal.

Take care of these guys chasing me right now - I think I may have said something wrong about hexes :)

trevor

Post by trevor »

Heh :)

When's your game start, I'll get something in.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

dorpond wrote:...They are not easily fooled and Dorpond is horrible at bluffing. They start approaching and Dorpond drops his mug in fear and takes off again.
Unfortunately for Dorpond, right-click FoW isn't in yet for light sources and so he runs blindly into the dark and into the side of a building knocking himself out.

trevor

Post by trevor »

A side note on hexes. With the rewriting of the hex grid, it became trivial to add vertical hexes. In fact, the document that I was working from was vertical, and I had to translate it to horizontal.

So as soon as we work out the kinks in the horizontal, I'll drop in vertical hexes :)

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

The hexes are looking great!

Once you get the kinks out of the snap-to-grid we'll be rockin in the hex world and with vertical hexes to boot!

Freakin awesome! :D

drswoboda
Dragon

Post by drswoboda »

I have two notes on the b7 build.

#1. Can no longer switch between multiple maps. The system just shows the loading message when I try to switch maps.

#2. There is a huge cpu hit when zooming with hex maps and show grid ON. On a sq map with grid the zoom is instantaneous on my system. With hexes it is not very good. The mouse wheel zoom is way ahead of the screen display.

The properties dialog is looking sweet! Great work as usual.
-David

trevor

Post by trevor »

drswoboda wrote:I have two notes on the b7 build.

#1. Can no longer switch between multiple maps. The system just shows the loading message when I try to switch maps.

#2. There is a huge cpu hit when zooming with hex maps and show grid ON. On a sq map with grid the zoom is instantaneous on my system. With hexes it is not very good. The mouse wheel zoom is way ahead of the screen display.

The properties dialog is looking sweet! Great work as usual.
-David
Thanks for the notes, I'll take a closer look. On #1 where the maps Hexes or squares ?

drswoboda
Dragon

Post by drswoboda »

On #1, either, it makes no differance.

Example. Load an exisiting saved map. Then go Map>New Map and create a new map. Then click on icon for first map and the load message appears, but the loading is hung. UI is stil responsive and working. In fact I can create another new map. But I cannot swtich to any of the loaded maps. Must restart the program.

-David

Vry
Giant

Post by Vry »

Have you tried left-clicking on the blank area where it says loading? That almost always causes it to go ahead and display the map for me.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Vry wrote:Have you tried left-clicking on the blank area where it says loading? That almost always causes it to go ahead and display the map for me.
Which would indicate that the renderer didn't properly handle the "I'm finished loading the image" message.

Does that fix your problem ? You might also try resizing the window, that would have the same effect.

drswoboda
Dragon

Post by drswoboda »

Yes, that does fix the issue. Note that I have never had to do this before so something seems to have changed in latest beta. I can't believe that I did not click in the window!! I clicked everywhere else and even loaded new maps. Sometimes the brain just lets you down.

trevor

Post by trevor »

drswoboda wrote:Yes, that does fix the issue. Note that I have never had to do this before so something seems to have changed in latest beta. I can't believe that I did not click in the window!! I clicked everywhere else and even loaded new maps. Sometimes the brain just lets you down.
Good info. Not sure why it would show up with this build, but I'll take a peek and get it working.

Return to “Developer Notes”