1.3b25 Progress

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

1.3b25 Progress

Post by trevor »

It's been slow going this week, so I'm behind schedule. But on the up side, I'm feeling good about this first pass and using tables as decks :)

I've been trying to figure out the elusive 98% loading bug. Essentially is boils down to MT waiting for an image to load into memory, and for some reason either misses the notification, or something goes wrong and it can't load the image. Either way it prevents the map from ever loading 100%. It's a tricky one to track down, but will be worthwhile to invest to time in figuring it out.

Thanks for your patience !
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

mrobviousjosh
Dragon

Post by mrobviousjosh »

Thanks for the update! I was wondering when b25 would be ready. ;)

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

Can't...contain...excitement...

trevor

Post by trevor »

Update, This past week I got distracted rebuilding the table mechanism in order to improve the deck stuff. So I haven't had a chance to fully flesh out the deck usage (although the modeling is done), nor the token base update.

But I have gotten lots of little bugs and stuff done. I'll plan on doing a build tmrw (Mon Feb 18), late, late at night, with the stuff that's already done so you can start banging on it.

Here's the list so far:

Build 25
* Replace minisheet with updated stat sheet
* Increase size of color chooser texture chooser thumbnails
* Fill bottom part of color chooser with selected paint (larger preview area)
* Reduce portrait size to 100x100
* Change "Character Sheet" to "Handout", make available to stamps
* Add "Hue" and "RGB" color chooser panels
* Set default value for chat prompts to "0"

* Updated spanish translation (Contributed by Patricio Acevedo)
* Introduce french translation (Contributed by Pierre Simonutti);

* Fix bug: edge case with vbl creating one too many points in a shape
* Fix bug: stamps not being rendered during move if map has VBL but no tokens to see it
* Fix bug: Send-to right click menu is not working on the Token Properties notes and GM notes text areas

morval
Cave Troll

Post by morval »

Can't wait to start banging on it!

morval

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

trevor wrote:* Reduce portrait size to 100x100
Do you mean coming up when moused over or do you mean in chat?

RedDog
Dragon

Post by RedDog »

He MUST mean the portrait size when mousing over a token...the current default is 200x200...

This actually disappoints me a bit because I was using a 200x200 image composed of a portrait and text as quick references...sometimes, the text was just a quick description, but I think it really added to the game.

The scaling works great on pictures, but sometimes looses too many pixels for text to be readable, so the native 200x200 was the best way to go...100x100 will be pretty small, so I will probably have to scrap that idea.

I would really like it if we had a choice between 100x100, 200x200, or native size, with the option for proportional scaling (i.e. everything doesn't end up square)...but that's a feature request in itself and not a very high priority one.

Thats the way it goes, make one group happy, and there is always some yahoo who has to gripe. :D

trevor

Post by trevor »

Hawke wrote:
trevor wrote:* Reduce portrait size to 100x100
Do you mean coming up when moused over or do you mean in chat?
On mouse over.

I'm happy to open discussion about making this configurable. As with most features, we'll tweak and test, and if it doesn't work well we can change it. We're just that flexible :)

As for text, on stamps you can put text into the Player notes and it'll show up next to the portrait. It even supports HTML.

RedDog
Dragon

Post by RedDog »

Not that I intended to hijack this Dev thread, but I did see that the accompanying text would appear on objects, not tokens (b24). I was using tokens for objects that could be moved by the player (like furniture).

Regardless, I still look forward to every build...MapTools just keeps getting better and better...so I am going to keep quiet now. :)

thelevitator
Dragon

Post by thelevitator »

FWIW, I'm in the bigger is better camp regarding the portraits. Although, I thought that there had been a discussion about adding the ability to use MT to have player handouts. I have started adding portraits to objects to give players a "zoom view" to go along with the text descriptions. What would be great would be to be able to adjust the portrait size manually to suit a variety of different uses.
"Neither hexes nor squares can confine me!"

James Anthony
"It's all in your head....."
http://www.spelz.net

wrathchild
Dragon

Post by wrathchild »

I second the Levitator. Bigger is better 'round my parts so I'm all for flexibility.
Entering the Digital Age of Roleplaying.
Part of the Resident GURPS Lobby.
Calling for Halos to be Hexified.

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

trevor wrote:I'm happy to open discussion about making this configurable
I would absolutely love to have a client setting for portrait constraint. Make it default 100x100 or whatever, but if you can change it to suit your game and what you like best I think it'll be best for everybody. I'm sure there's plenty of people in the bigger/smaller camp and finding that medium would be difficult.

In addition, if you're putting that setting in I'd love to request the option to let the background be transparent (client setting) for those of us using portraits designed as such. 8)

I'm definitely looking forward to the upcoming releases!

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

I also have to chime in on the portrait size. This is a very client-specific option since the resolution of each client will be different. It makes sense to me that there should be a default set in the campaign properties, but it should be something that the clients can update.

FWIW, I have found that I can control the size of the Notes and GM Notes areas by adding a <div> around the entire block of text and specifying a width attribute. (I can't show you how it would look 'cuz the forum software won't let me put an attribute inside a div element. :() I've been using 600px, but that's obviously resolution-dependent, so I may switch to em or cm at some point.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

My thoughts on Portrait Size:

Portraits can be used for many things - not just an image of the selected character. I use them for objects and backgrounds too where I give visual clues and prefer high quality. That being said, I want 200X200 or higher for "stamps" but I am ok with 100X100 (or less) for tokens.

But the harsh reality is that each GM is different, or as Azhrei mentioned, client specific depending on resolution settings. Each person will want to use this their own way - flexibility is important.

So I am very bummed that it is forced to 100X100 now. I want to see it configurable. Let us decide. We can use Maptool for several different things so we need flexibility - for example, I was thinking about using Maptool for a family tree of my family where we would want to see a nice portrait of each person in the tree - something of quality. Snikles Alien game had nice sized portrais of characters, eggs, Alience, etc. Now there is talk of using Maptool for investigation style gaming where there is evidence to be viewed - Maptool need to allow freedom.

We need the following freedoms:

-Show/Not show the Portrait - currently in B25 we are forced to see a portrait if there are stats attached to a token. I don't want that kind of clutter. I want to just have portraits for my NPC's/Bosses and Players, not for the 100 skeletons on the battle field.

-Specify the portrait resolution - I might want a 400X200 picture of my grandmother to appear when I click on her image on my familty tree or I may just want little 75x75 portraits of my players - players know what they look like because they have been playing for 5 months. At first though I might want them 200X200 until they get sick of loosing screen space, and then switch them to 75X75.

Both of the above settings can easily go in the config tab in token properties.

How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Here is an example of how I would use Maptool previously - but in this case I made the portrait bigger in the mockup to show how nice portraits can be if they were larger that 200X200. Please allow me to continue doing this kind of thing Trevor. :)

How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

Return to “Developer Notes”