Vision Teaser For 1.3B29

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

falerion wrote:Very impressive!

Would there also the possibility to have special sights? Something like "Detect invisibility" or "True sight" or "Sonic sight"?
If a token is concealed by such thing, it would be invisible by the PCs until they have such special sight/spell ability, but then only to the PC that has this ability.
Trevor has taken a very interesting approach with building this stuff, thus the time it took for it to come out. The idea is to give the users the ability to create the "light" and also create the "Sight". That being said, you could then in fact create a light called "sonic" and then create a Sight called "Sonic Vision". It will be an awesome system and in theory, it will work just like the real world.
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Artok wrote:
Torch: A torch burns for 1 hour, clearly illuminating a 20-foot radius and providing shadowy illumination out to a 40- foot radius.
Any chance on us seeing something implemented for "shadowy illumination"?
Yes, we will have shadowy. Expect it to just be a visual thing from the get-go (brighter color in the center for bright light, darker color on the outside for shadowy). Trevor mentioned trying to work some visual effects in there but that will all depend on how it effect performance. We will have to wait and see. Personally, I see effects more and more special effects eye candy being introduced when MT changes its graphic engine in V2.0, but that is more of a gut feeling than an announcement so don't hold me to that.
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

Jector
Great Wyrm

Post by Jector »

Nifty! Light and sight will be excellent when separate entities.
Trevor, FTW.
I cast firecube! ~4E

falerion
Kobold

Post by falerion »

dorpond wrote:
falerion wrote:Very impressive!

Would there also the possibility to have special sights? Something like "Detect invisibility" or "True sight" or "Sonic sight"?
If a token is concealed by such thing, it would be invisible by the PCs until they have such special sight/spell ability, but then only to the PC that has this ability.
Trevor has taken a very interesting approach with building this stuff, thus the time it took for it to come out. The idea is to give the users the ability to create the "light" and also create the "Sight". That being said, you could then in fact create a light called "sonic" and then create a Sight called "Sonic Vision". It will be an awesome system and in theory, it will work just like the real world.
That sounds very promising! I'm looking forward to test it.

Could there be a very very special case, there only sight and light would not hold? Let me give an example: Think about a PC group of two humans, a magician and a fighter. They are near a camp fire and can see their surrounding. The magician cast something to see invisible creatures and detects a invisible creature nearby. Now the magician should see that creature, but the fighter should not. But all three are in the radius of the camp fire. Even if i would assign the magician a "invisibility sight", it wouldn't be a solution. The creature would need a stat "can only be seen by invisibility sight", wouldn't it?

Dracorat
Dragon

Post by Dracorat »

Love the teaser - two things:

1 - with the ranger having low light, the other people shouldn't see vision to the same distance. Essentially, if you click on the ranger, you should see the full vision (the doubled distance) but when you click on a different party member, only his.

2 - Darkvision - should be black and white only, but if that's not possible, there should still be some sort of demarcation that sets its vision apart.

But I love the feature preview. woot!

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

Dracorat wrote:Love the teaser - two things:

1 - with the ranger having low light, the other people shouldn't see vision to the same distance. Essentially, if you click on the ranger, you should see the full vision (the doubled distance) but when you click on a different party member, only his.
I think someone mentioned that in player view with individual vision turned on this is the case.

Taragnor
Cave Troll

Post by Taragnor »

falerion wrote: That sounds very promising! I'm looking forward to test it.

Could there be a very very special case, there only sight and light would not hold? Let me give an example: Think about a PC group of two humans, a magician and a fighter. They are near a camp fire and can see their surrounding. The magician cast something to see invisible creatures and detects a invisible creature nearby. Now the magician should see that creature, but the fighter should not. But all three are in the radius of the camp fire. Even if i would assign the magician a "invisibility sight", it wouldn't be a solution. The creature would need a stat "can only be seen by invisibility sight", wouldn't it?
Yeah, basically I'd imagine something like seeing invisibility is a tag that you'd add to an existing vision.

I'm not really sure why you'd want more than one type of light, about the only time I'd imagine it'd be useful is for people using ultraviolet lamps and goggles or something. It's a pretty edge case.

For most cases, simply having one type of light is enough, but what you need is tags. I could pretty much envision the setup looking something like MT 1.2, where you've got a vision category and a light category that you assign to tokens. Only the light would work like MT 1.3 light, and visions would give you what a token could see.

So your light section looks like MT 1.3 does now.

Your vision section lets you create visions (and like MT 1.2, a creature could have one or more active at a time). For each vision, you'd choose a base type (darkvision, light based, low light, Darkvision (VBL ignore)). Each vision would also have a max range. Also each vision would have a "reveals terrain" checkbox as well. This determines if it will clear away hard fog. If this isn't checked the vision solely displays tokens, and not stamps or other map drawings.

And you'd have tags in the form of checkboxes, ideally they'd be something you could define yourself based on the game you're playing. So for D&D, you may have a list like:
-normal sight (starts checked by default)
-invisibility
-magic aura
-tremorsense
-superior invisibility
-astral
-ethereal

All tokens would also have an extra visibility tab, which would have a checkbox for each of these. Probably you would want a default setting for each of the tags you set up.

Now it would simply be a matter of changing the tags around. So if you wanted something invisible, you'd remove a creature's visibility to normal sight and add visibility via invisibility or magic aura. Then any vision with that either invisible checked or magic aura checked sees the thing.

Now, that's pretty complicated, so I don't expect we'll see anything like that anytime soon.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Another video showing all 3 visions in action:
http://rptools.net/dorpond/demos/VideoT ... aser2.html

Return to “Developer Notes”