How to get RPTools source via Eclipse and subversion

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

How to get RPTools source via Eclipse and subversion

Post by trevor »

All of the RPTools source is stored in SourceForge.net's Subversion repository. If anyone is interested in looking at the code, install Eclipse (eclipse.org) or Netbeans or your favorite IDE and set up Subversion in it.

Here is an article that explains how to get Subversion working in Eclipse.

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/o ... Subversion

Create a new project and add (updated 2013-06-03):

https://svn.code.sf.net/p/rptools/svn

Note that there are multiple projects at that URL (such as maptool, dicetool, and others). For each one there is a trunk directory -- that's the one you want. So use the above URL and append /maptool/trunk for just that project. Note that SourceForge now has RSS feeds and "subscribe" links if you want immediate notification of new commits.

Edit: If you're going to submit patches, please import this Eclipse preferences file first and then save the changed files. These preferences will reformat the code so that it conforms to the project standards and that will make it much easier for other team members to read as well as making the patch as concise as possible. (Preferences file is attached to this post.) - Azhrei
Attachments
preferences.xml
Preferences file to import into Eclipse
(30.15 KiB) Downloaded 297 times
Last edited by Azhrei on Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: added blurb about preferences; updated SF.net URL
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

The Ant build files are failing on:

BUILD FAILED
C:\Code\rptools\common.build\common-webstart-targets.xml:84: taskdef class com.sun.tools.apache.ant.pack200.Pack200Task cannot be found

I see the Pack200Task.jar file under common.build/lib. Does that folder need to be added to the CLASSPATH?

trevor

Post by trevor »

Yes. As a side note, you shouldn't have to use the ant build scripts, those are for creating the packages we put up on the site.

You should just be able to launch MapTool.java, or TokenTool.java, or whatever.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

I recognized that however I want to have local builds in jar files so that I can copy them to my laptop and other PCs for testing.

It might be nice if their were ant build scripts that didn't create full distributions and merely built up a full package for local testing.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Giliath is our build person. I think he even updated the scripts recently to ignore the pack200 stuff. If you haven't updated recently, you might want to.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Interesting. That was a with a fresh checkout from SourceForge. It looks like I have the current (2314) common-webstart-targets.xml file.

No big deal. I added the relevant jar files to the Ant classpath preferences and everything is happy.

johnzo
Cave Troll

Post by johnzo »

Hmmm -- if I do these steps...

1. File - Import,
2. select "Checkout Projects from SVN",
3. click Next,
4. click "Create a New Repository location",
5. click Next
6. enter https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/rptools in the URL text field

I get this exception:

Error validating location "org.tigris.subversion.javahl.ClientException:
svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/svnroot/rptools"
svn: SSLv3

What's up? I managed to check out subclipse, so I'm pretty sure my Eclipse setup's good...

trevor

Post by trevor »

Go to the Team->SVN preference dialog and turn on JavaSVN instead of the native svn (javahl). That should help, let me know otherwise.

johnzo
Cave Troll

Post by johnzo »

It's all good now -- I had to alter Eclipse so that it runs using Sun's JRE rather than the flaky gnu one.

sozin
Cave Troll

Post by sozin »

Just wanted to say that the above instructions worked "out-of-the-box" for me. downloaded all the source, eclipse was building it as it downloaded, no errors, no warnings. kudos :-)

Now lets see how easy it is to add translucent drag-and-drop token functionality ...

sozin

trevor

Post by trevor »

sozin wrote: Now lets see how easy it is to add translucent drag-and-drop token functionality ...
Do you mean showing the token on the map as you drag it on ?

Let me know how it goes :)

sozin
Cave Troll

Post by sozin »

sort of. when the token gets dragged on, right now it just shows the token with no translucency (the token essentially becomes the cursor until it is dropped on). its a simple little hack it make it so that when the user grabs the token, the grabbed image becomes translucent until it is dropped onto the canvas...

for example:

not very useful, but it's this sort of visual feedback that makes OS X such a pleasure to use.

EDIT: Compiled and am running the latest and greatest, looks like during drag and drop the icon is no longer the token itself, but rather a hand cursor... perhaps I shouldn't even bother trying out the transparency hack :-) PS The new maptool looks great!

trevor

Post by trevor »

Yeah, it used to use the image as the mouse pointer. But then I saw that it didn't work on OSX. And it didn't give an accurate representation of where an what size the dropped token would be, so I pulled it out so I could make it more accurate. But then I got distracted. Perhaps I could put it back to the old way for the time being. However, that method would not be conducive to transparency unfortunately since it's actually the mouse pointer.

sozin
Cave Troll

Post by sozin »

I'll muck around with it and see if I can get the partially translucent drag and drop stuff working.

dLANbandit
Dragon

Post by dLANbandit »

should I get the IBM bundle of eclipse?

Return to “Developer Notes”