How to get RPTools source via Eclipse and subversion

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: How to get RPTools source via Eclipse and subversion

Post by Azhrei »

I'm glad you got it solved, aku! :)

Well, any time you see someone on the web provide a link and say, "this is the latest one", it never is. Links are out of date almost as soon as they're posted. ;)

I typically follow the link, then go up one level on the site (either by removing the last component of the URL or by using a breadcrumb feature of the site). That typically works pretty well.

Wyrframe
Cave Troll

Post by Wyrframe »

Is there a standard Eclipse Java Code Style Formatter style we can be using, to keep individual whitespace settings from messing up patches?

I'm happy enough using the Java Conventions style if we just need a simple default, but I'm running into the fact that some people here use 3-space tabs, some use same-line braceless if statements, and stuff like that. I imagine it makes merging patch files and subversion updates a bit of a pain for many.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

Wyrframe wrote:Is there a standard Eclipse Java Code Style Formatter style we can be using, to keep individual whitespace settings from messing up patches?
Sensible idea. Perhaps we should recommend the Checkstyle plugin, with a suitable style. Most people just use the Oracle Standard Style Guide but with the 80 character limit extended a bit.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Would make sense and we should be able to export/import those settings and just post the file?
-Jamz

Wyrframe
Cave Troll

Post by Wyrframe »

Yup. Export is a bit wierd, you have to open the style editor in order to export the style, but Import is right there on the Formatter page.

The idea (as I've seen it used in communities that do have a style standard) is that people can use whatever formatting they like for their own editing... but their patches will be rejected and/or ignored if they don't reformat (it's just CTRL+SHIFT+F) before creating patches.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

I seem to think there already IS a settings file for Eclipse in the SVN source code. Check the directories.. I can't at the moment or I would find it..
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Wyrframe
Cave Troll

Post by Wyrframe »

I checked every .XML in the maptool folder... unless it's in a folder common to all the rptools projects, higher-up in SVN? Haven't tried that, but Sourceforge is way too slow for me to go hunting through the root right now (I only have /rptools/maptool/trunk checked out).

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Wyrframe wrote:I checked every .XML in the maptool folder... unless it's in a folder common to all the rptools projects, higher-up in SVN? Haven't tried that, but Sourceforge is way too slow for me to go hunting through the root right now (I only have /rptools/maptool/trunk checked out).
/conf/eclipse.prefs.import.me is the file I am thinking of.. though..I don't know off the top of my head if that's what your looking for though as I don't think I have used it but once and that was a long time ago...
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Wyrframe
Cave Troll

Post by Wyrframe »

Yup, that works. Imports a formatter called "ROG". I'll be sure to apply that before submitting any patches.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Ditto. Done as well :)
-Jamz

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

It's imported as "ROG"? Ugh. That was a throw-away project I created to mess around with some stuff a long time ago. It should've been named MapTool. ;)

I have had others tell me it didn't work for them, though. The line length should be set to 120 for code, IIRC. (Trevor liked really long lines! We had a thread on this somewhere in this forum or the subforum.)

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Azhrei wrote:It's imported as "ROG"? Ugh. That was a throw-away project I created to mess around with some stuff a long time ago. It should've been named MapTool. ;)

I have had others tell me it didn't work for them, though. The line length should be set to 120 for code, IIRC. (Trevor liked really long lines! We had a thread on this somewhere in this forum or the subforum.)
Az, I would say, just export your settings and let's use those, considering you are the most impacted as the official patch merger. And if you save it as .xml it will be easier.

Personally the style won't matter as much as I would still use my pref when coding, just need it uniform when we check it back in/create a patch.
Last edited by JamzTheMan on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Jamz

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

I have updated the OP with the preferences settings as an XML file.

And I found the "ROG" entry and deleted it.

Wyrframe
Cave Troll

Post by Wyrframe »

Sweet, thanks. Updating now.

Lord.Ashes
Dragon

Re:

Post by Lord.Ashes »

trevor wrote:Yes. As a side note, you shouldn't have to use the ant build scripts, those are for creating the packages we put up on the site.

You should just be able to launch MapTool.java, or TokenTool.java, or whatever.
I am trying to get a copy of MapTools into Eclipse. I ran through the steps provided above and I have MapTools checked out from the src level foler down. I typically don't use Java so I'm not too familiar with the Eclipse environment but at the moment all I want to do is to be able to run MapTools - unmodified - from Eclipse.

I have opened up the .project file in Eclipse which showed me the checked out src folder (and sub-folders). I navigated down this tree (src/net/rptools/maptools/client) and found the MapTools.java file (among many others). How can I now build and/or run the (unmodified) code in Eclipse? When I press the "Run" (play looking) icon, I get a message "this selection can not be launched, and there are no recent launches". I am guessing that I am missing a step or some configuration which tells Eclipse how to run the package, correct?

Can someone please clue me in. I am a programmer, so I can follow most instructions without a problem but, as I said, I don't generally program in Java so setting up Eclipse to is new to me. The changes I intend to make are fairly simple and thus, once I get Eclipse configured, I should be able to handle making my desired changes...Its just the initial setup that I need help with at this time.

Any help is much appreciated.
"We often compare ourselves to the U.S. and often they come out the best,
but they only have the right to bare arms, while we have the right to bare breasts"
The Right To Bare Breasts by Bowser & Blue

Return to “Developer Notes”