How to get RPTools source via Eclipse and subversion

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Ahh, right that makes sense. Probably what happened was Eclipse was set up to use 1.4, so all the Java 5 classes were breaking. That actually makes sense now.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

firebird84
Kobold

Post by firebird84 »

When I am trying to build the 'parser' project - I get this

Severity and Description Path Resource Location Creation Time Id
Unbound classpath variable: 'ANTLR_HOME/antlr.jar' in project 'parser' parser Build path 1183923086031 18969

The lib directory contains an antlr jar file but not specifically 'antlr.jar'. The eclipse plugins directory has a similar file as well.

I can probably hack it so that it will work, but I assume that that is not what was intended - did I do something wrong?

trevor

Post by trevor »

That's a bug in the classpath file that's checked in.

The problem is that when it was originally added it was added relative to an environment variable, which you (and I) don't have. But the antlr.jar file exists, just have to tell eclipse where to find it relative to the workspace.

Basically remove the existing antlr jar from the classpath and re-add the antlr.jar file that's in the lib dir.

firebird84
Kobold

Post by firebird84 »

Thanks, Trevor! I went ahead and hacked the path into what you said, and it got me past that point. Now, a question: The trunk folders are the "main branch" of the code, I assume. Is it always buildable? I'm still of the opinion I'm doing something wrong, but I'm looking through the parser project and can't get it to build because an interface is missing a variable.

Not a criticism, I'm just curious as to how things work around here and how much hacking I should expect to do. :)

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

I'm having the same problem. A lot of the code for parser is generated by ANTLR. I'm not sure but I'm thinking that one of the generated files didn't get checked in and it is causing the compile problem. If you just add the value to the java code you can go ahead and use the parser project directly.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Thanks for the note firebird84. I'll bug giliath about getting his code fixed :)

firebird84
Kobold

Post by firebird84 »

The ASIGNEE node type is either missing or hasn't been removed (I can't tell which), and a class in rplib is referenced that doesn't exist in the trunk. Hope that helps.

trevor

Post by trevor »

what's the class in rplib ?

firebird84
Kobold

Post by firebird84 »

net.rptools.lib.swing.MessagePanel
net.rptools.lib.swing.TextMessage

If you try to build CharTool trunk and import the necessary dependency project trunks you should be able to replicate the behavior. (I understand it's still in VERY early development, but I figured the libraries it depended on should be at least be able to build)

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Chartool isn't reall ready for building yet. In my own sandbox I've copied the Map Tool MessagePanel & TextMessage classes to rplib, but I've not checked it in yet since Trevor mentioned that he wanted to change it soon. Not sure when this might happen.

firebird84
Kobold

Post by firebird84 »

Ok, I figured as much, but I thought being checked in meant it was almost sorta workable. :) My bad. If there's anything I can do let me know - I'm really interested in this tool. Thanks for the files!

giliath
RPTools Founder

Post by giliath »

firebird84: The problem is you are missing the antlr plugin to eclipse. The trunk will almost always compile. In this case it is a undocumented setup requirement. I will put a readme in the root that references the required eclipse plugin.

http://antlreclipse.sourceforge.net/
~Giliath

firebird84
Kobold

Post by firebird84 »

Awesome! That appears to have fixed it. One LAST thing....:

Code: Select all

$ svn ls https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/rptools
svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/svnroot/rptools'
svn: PROPFIND of '/svnroot/rptools': could not connect to server (https://svn.sourceforge.net)
Is the repository down? I'm getting that on two different computers on two different networks...was working fine last night though...

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Source forge changed how you access SVN recently. The URL should be https://rptools.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/rptools instead. Also, Trevor was having problems checking stuff in as well yesterday. Maybe he has some more info for you.

CuZnDragon
Kobold

Post by CuZnDragon »

Which directories do not need to be checked out?

Return to “Developer Notes”