MapTool 1.1 build 10 progress

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

MapTool 1.1 build 10 progress

Post by trevor »

I sat down to implement Show Last Movement Path today, and it turned out to be a little more effort than I thought it was going to be. But the end result turned out more accurate that I expected, so it's all good.

However, I'm not really happy with the interface. Right now it just always shows the selected token's last movement path.

I don't like that.

Would love your guy's input on the best way to provide the last movement path. I could potentially show it on token mouse over, or as a toggle of some sort.

What do you guys think ?
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

trevor

Post by trevor »

Oh yeah, and on another note, I was thinking about adding very small blue arrows along the blue-line path that show the direction of the move. I thought that might help give visual clues that it's the last path instead of the current path.

Any mockups on that would also be appreciated :)

Phergus
Deity

Re: MapTool 1.1 build 10 progress

Post by Phergus »

trevor wrote: ...Right now it just always shows the selected token's last movement path...
... I could potentially show it on token mouse over, or as a toggle of some sort.
A mouse-over with a qualifier might not be too bad. Would get kind of annoying if it happened all the time.

Do we need arrows on the path to indicate direction? The token is at the end of the path and the beginning must be the other end. Maybe a blue circle to indicate start point mostly for esthetics.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

I hate things poping up all over the place when moving around a mouse so I think mouse-over would be distracting.

How about a simple right click on the token and 'Show Last Movement' option.

Thought Process:
We need to have the token know that pathing has started and it had ended - that is a given. We also need to know that it restarted because we didn't like out last movement. We have display issues now - how would Maptool know that this current path needs to go away and a new need to start over again?

This is my idea: A new path will only start when the token is brought back to starting square only. Make it intelligent. If the token is brought back to starting square, it automatically knows to wipe out last path and start a new.

That could resolve pathing issues also.

So here I am:
1. I click on my token.
2. I hold left click and drag him to destination.
3. The path is displayed on screen for all to view and players/GM's can verify Attacks of Opportunity.
4. The player changes his mind and clicks on Token again.
5. The path stays on the screen and nothing appends to last path while he is moving it back.
6. The player drags his token to starting square.
7. Maptool knows that the token is at starting position and removes last path and starts a new.
8. Player moves token and a new path is generated.
9. Player gets to destination point and movement stays on screen.
10. Next player click on his token and previous player path is no longer displayed.
11. Last player wishes to see his path again or the GM does - they simply right click on the token in question and they check "Show Last Movement".
12. Last movement path is displayed.
13. They want the path to go away after the debate and they right click on the token again and uncheck "Show Last Movement".

I am all for doing stuff with the Mouse since we pass a mouse around the table.

Programming pitfall though: Some players might move forward, circle around perhaps and step over their starting square during their movement. We have to make sure this doesn't cause the current path to go away. You will need to make it so the path is unaffected even if the token moves over his starting square during movement. Only after movement should that code be "active". Understand?

I have a player that has spring attack so he can actually move up to a monster, attack and move again in the same round. That is why I see this being problematic.

That beings up another issue: How is last path going to function if a path is crossed or retraced during that movement? Another words, my Monk move 40 down a hall, attacks and moves back down the hall to original position? All that was done during his move? This situation will definately happen during my games coming up. This is something else to keep in mind because the player will let go of the mouse button to roll his dice and then grab the mouse again to continue his movement.

Another pitfall.

Thoughts?

[edit] About the arrows showing movement direction. At first I thought, "why is that needed?" but in the case where I have a 70' movement monk and his crossing of paths, it WILL be need. Good thinking ahead Trevor!

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

The idea of leaving the movement path up until the next token is moved would be good but I would want it to be optional.

Beyond that I would prefer to keep it simple.
* MT remembers last path taken for every token
* Right-click option to display last path for a token - goes away with any click
* Right-click option to undo last move - returns token to starting point of last move

I still don't see a need for arrows no matter how much movement is involved but whatever is needed to facilitate play for everyone.

trevor

Post by trevor »

From the feedback, I think I'll make it a right click menu option:

Show Last Path
Revert last move

The path will go away on the next click of the map

trevor

Post by trevor »

Oh yeah, and do you guys want me to turn off the "only show visibility radius for selected tokens" ? That is, if a token has a light radius, always show it. Perhaps put a toggle on it ?

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

I personally would like to always see the light source, frurstrates me when I click off the token with a light and it goes away. But of course making it an option is always preferable.
Steel Rat
-----------
RPGMapShare.com - RPG Maps and Mapping objects.
Discord Server

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

trevor wrote:Oh yeah, and do you guys want me to turn off the "only show visibility radius for selected tokens" ? That is, if a token has a light radius, always show it. Perhaps put a toggle on it ?
All people see light so always showing all the light only makes sense. It is nice to be able to see all light sources especially when we have sconces that also produce light (future feature perhaps). This way all the players know where the lights are and so do the rogues and mages when they run around to extinguish them or can a spells on them to create choaking smoke. :)

I vote YES to seeing all light sources.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Ok, I'll put in a toggle for it.

drswoboda
Dragon

Post by drswoboda »

trevor wrote:Oh yeah, and do you guys want me to turn off the "only show visibility radius for selected tokens" ? That is, if a token has a light radius, always show it. Perhaps put a toggle on it ?
Why not put light sorces into a layer (eventually) and then you have the option to turn 0n/off visibility of individual tokens quickly, without having to right click all the individual tokens, plus you get the added bonus of turning off the layer visibility for all light sources at once.

-David

trevor

Post by trevor »

drswoboda wrote:
Why not put light sorces into a layer (eventually) and then you have the option to turn 0n/off visibility of individual tokens quickly, without having to right click all the individual tokens, plus you get the added bonus of turning off the layer visibility for all light sources at once.

-David
Certainly potentially when layers are more formal, looking for the evolutionary step on our way :)

drswoboda
Dragon

Post by drswoboda »

Then do the RMB menu part this stage and when Darwin kicks in and the gills turn into lungs, add the layer option. :D

The only issue with baby steps is if the down the road features cause major changes in the way things work now or in the near term. If you then roll in a big function change some people may be disappointed in the changes since they liked how it worked before. Personally I can live with lights as they are now, and work in the revamp once a layers system is on the table. I think a lot of features may evolve/revolve around what ever you guys implement for layers.

I think MT already has most major functions needed to use it right now. That next big step as I see it is layers, and layers may/will change the way lots of things work. Just my two cents.

-David
Last edited by drswoboda on Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Abso-freaking-lutely.

Just need a way to turn a tokens light on/off without going into the light dialog each time.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Phergus wrote: Abso-freaking-lutely.
heh, I'll take that as a yes :)

Return to “Developer Notes”