MT 1.3b34 Progress update

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

MT 1.3b34 Progress update

Post by trevor »

I fell asleep at the keyboard while fixing some UI tweaks last night, oops.

Build definitely some time today.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Orchard
Great Wyrm

Re: MT 1.3b34 Progress update

Post by Orchard »

trevor wrote:I fell asleep at the keyboard while fixing some UI tweaks last night, oops.

Build definitely some time today.
Well, you might check that section of code very carefully first...coherency may be suspect.

I know the things I write while drifting off are often a bit wonky.

Not exactly fit for compiling or publication.

But we are patient.

Or something.
0+0=1, for very unstable CPUs.

Mathemagician
Dragon

Post by Mathemagician »

Anecdote: When I was writing my town generator way back in the day, I had the most frustrating bug! All the men in the town were leaving their wives. At first I claimed brilliance that my fake people so quickly learned to divorce one another, until I noticed the wives still thought they were married to their respective husbands, but the men were nowhere to be found! I stayed up working on that darn bug til 5 in the morning, when I finally passed out on the keyboard.

It turns out, in trying to fix the bug (a simple fix, actually) I made things much worse. I had made the mistake of using lower case L as my indexing variable when choosing wives for the husbands, and somehow a 1 got there instead. Long story short, every man in the town was assigned, at one point or another, woman[1] as their wife, only to be booted out by the next man in line. Talk about a girl getting around the town...

Moral of the story, coding when falling asleep can ruin the reputation of a lot of imaginary people :P

Alternative moral, if you feel compelled to use a lower case L as your index variable, it might be worth the extra keystrokes to type "ell" :)

Orchard
Great Wyrm

Post by Orchard »

Mathemagician wrote:Anecdote: When I was writing my town generator way back in the day, I had the most frustrating bug! All the men in the town were leaving their wives. At first I claimed brilliance that my fake people so quickly learned to divorce one another, until I noticed the wives still thought they were married to their respective husbands, but the men were nowhere to be found! I stayed up working on that darn bug til 5 in the morning, when I finally passed out on the keyboard.

It turns out, in trying to fix the bug (a simple fix, actually) I made things much worse. I had made the mistake of using lower case L as my indexing variable when choosing wives for the husbands, and somehow a 1 got there instead. Long story short, every man in the town was assigned, at one point or another, woman[1] as their wife, only to be booted out by the next man in line. Talk about a girl getting around the town...

Moral of the story, coding when falling asleep can ruin the reputation of a lot of imaginary people :P

Alternative moral, if you feel compelled to use a lower case L as your index variable, it might be worth the extra keystrokes to type "ell" :)
See, this is why l and 1 and I are bad indices. (Can you tell which is which? Guess.)

It is so font dependent that you have no business using any of the three: one, upper-case i, and lower-case L are all too similar in english without context. Terrible decision.

Coding while tired=dangerous.

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

Woman[1] must have been quite the looker.

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Post by Amaril »

So anyway...

@ trevor: What specifically are you looking to address in this build?

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

Good question. All bug fixes, or are you sneaking in a feature or two?

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Squared and color lighting, perhaps? :o

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Post by Amaril »

dorpond wrote:Squared and color lighting, perhaps? :o
That's precisely what I'm hoping for!

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

I'm not personally adding any features as I've been focused on reviewing integrating the patches and fixing bugs. But Ryss has been hard at work on the macro panel and all of his updates are going in.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Orchard
Great Wyrm

Post by Orchard »

trevor wrote:I'm not personally adding any features as I've been focused on reviewing integrating the patches and fixing bugs. But Ryss has been hard at work on the macro panel and all of his updates are going in.
What we need is someone else to magically appear like Ryss and take over another section of the code.

*Casts "Summon Coder XII"

Hmm....

Let's see if it works.

Maybe it's a 4e ritual?

Naryt
Dragon

OT: Fonts

Post by Naryt »

Orchard wrote:See, this is why l and 1 and I are bad indices. (Can you tell which is which? Guess.)
Very easy to tell but then again, that's why I use a font that has serifs.
A wandering lost soul

Brigand
Read-only User

Post by Brigand »

Aww, I was really hoping tooltips would make it in. =)

Orchard
Great Wyrm

Re: OT: Fonts

Post by Orchard »

Naryt wrote:
Orchard wrote:See, this is why l and 1 and I are bad indices. (Can you tell which is which? Guess.)
Very easy to tell but then again, that's why I use a font that has serifs.
Again, font choice is important.

But back to the topic at hand.

I'm glad to see a quick bug-fix. Trevor's dedication to this community continues to amaze me.

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

Yeah, he's my hero.

Well, after Superman.

And Mal from Firefly.

And Green Lantern.

And a few others, but he's deff on the list! :wink:

Return to “Developer Notes”