MapTool 1.1 build 12 progress

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Phergus
Deity

Re: MapTool 1.1 build 12 progress

Post by Phergus »

trevor wrote:Got the first set of features implemented for build 12:

* Add image names to Image Explorer
* Add full image name to tooltip of images in Image Explorer
* Add filter for image explorer

This should make working with large image repositories much easier. You can just navigate to a directory, then type in a filter, such as "elf" and all images with a filename that contains "elf" will show up. Neat.
It's looking pretty good to.

I don't know if having the filter be case-sensitive is a good idea. On the one hand if you make a habit of naming your tokens with mixed case it can make it easier to find just the ones starting with a filter. On the other hand you may have to try things like Elf, elf, ELF to get all the tokens with elf in the name.

Probably simpler for most people to not have to deal with case-sensitive searching.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Phergus wrote: I don't know if having the filter be case-sensitive is a good idea.
Ooops, that was unintentional. I'll fix it.

Also, I was able to check in some progress on an improved token panel (for those checking out of SVN *cough* Phergus *cough* note that it isn't fully fuctional yet, but you can get an idea where it's going.

For the rest of you, basically it creates a tree view of the tokens, here is the current grouping:

- Visible: tokens visible to you (All for GM). Note this does not include stamps
- Players: all tokens owned by players, note that non-visible player tokens are still filtered out
- Stamps: All stamps

And I want to add:

- Groups: When you CTRL-1 through CTRL-0 to create groups, it will show the corresponding group as a subgroup here
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

trevor wrote:
Phergus wrote: I don't know if having the filter be case-sensitive is a good idea.
Ooops, that was unintentional. I'll fix it.
Er, would it be tough to make that an option? I know most people are probably using Windows and expect case-insensitivity, but I'm a Linux/Unix geek and I prefer my filenames to be case-sensitive!

Maybe a menu toggle somewhere?
For the rest of you, basically it creates a tree view of the tokens, here is the current grouping:

- Visible: tokens visible to you (All for GM). Note this does not include stamps
- Players: all tokens owned by players, note that non-visible player tokens are still filtered out

And I want to add:

- Groups: When you CTRL-1 through CTRL-0 to create groups, it will show the corresponding group as a subgroup here
Oh, now that sounds excellent!

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

trevor wrote:For the rest of you, basically it creates a tree view of the tokens, here is the current grouping:

And I want to add:

Since you brought it up...

Obviously dropping a Group from IT into the panel should create a new group.

Right-click on a folder should give an options for adding a group.

Renaming groups. Would be good to be able to name groups so that you can use that to quickly locate the group in the tavern or the sewer or whatever.

Wouldn't mind a default folder type of Not Visible To Players though I would probably prefer some sort of visual cue on the tokens in the panel.

Selecting the group in the token window should/could select the tokens on the map.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

What Phergus said :-)
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

trevor

Post by trevor »

Phergus wrote: Obviously dropping a Group from IT into the panel should create a new group.
Good point
Phergus wrote: Right-click on a folder should give an options for adding a group.

Don't quite understand this one, right click on which folder ?
Phergus wrote:Renaming groups. Would be good to be able to name groups so that you can use that to quickly locate the group in the tavern or the sewer or whatever.
I'm cool with that
Phergus wrote:Wouldn't mind a default folder type of Not Visible To Players though I would probably prefer some sort of visual cue on the tokens in the panel.
I'm leaning towards the panel visual cue
Phergus wrote:Selecting the group in the token window should/could select the tokens on the map.
Definitely !

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

trevor wrote:
Phergus wrote:Right-click on a folder should give an options for adding a group.

Don't quite understand this one, right click on which folder ?
The little folders in the Tree view. I would want to right-click on the Monsters folder and then create a group under it.

Of course that presumes a Monsters folder but I might want to do that under Players as well.

My thinking is that I would want to group monsters by room/location but keep them under the Monsters main group.

This kind of depends on where you were headed with the Groups overall.
trevor wrote:
Phergus wrote:Wouldn't mind a default folder type of Not Visible To Players though I would probably prefer some sort of visual cue on the tokens in the panel.
I'm leaning towards the panel visual cue
I like visual cues. Say under the Visible (to me, the GM) category those not visible to players were in a different color or had a different background or a little icon. Just something that at a glance lets you know the overal status.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Phergus wrote:
trevor wrote: My thinking is that I would want to group monsters by room/location but keep them under the Monsters main group.

This kind of depends on where you were headed with the Groups overall.
Ahh, I gotcha, you mean do group management withing the token panel (create, add, delete).

I hadn't thought of them as being that formal, or rather, creating a group from the map view would be sufficient.

Let me get this first draft done so we can play with it, then we'll take a look at this as a next step :)

trevor

Post by trevor »

UPDATE:

Well, my family is all moved into our new house. Now for the next big thing this week, we expect baby #3 to arrive late this week.

I'm planning on finishing up the group stuff tonight and tmrw, and doing a new build Tuesday night before things get really crazy around here :)

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Congrats on the house and Baby#3 (soon to come)!!

Do what you can but don't bust your hump taking care of us! You have a wife that needs attention because you know what happens when they arn't happy :)

Quick question: What stamp features will be included in this next update and if you say "none" can I request that you add any of the several I have brought up (stamper, easy move, etc) that are EASY and QUICK? Again, your wife comes first and then maybe Hex Boy -- and then me :)

**Dorpond covers his head in the fetal position as the other board members throw cabbage at him for not mentioning anything about their requests**

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

trevor wrote:Ahh, I gotcha, you mean do group management withing the token panel (create, add, delete).
Exactly. Was thinking that sometimes I might want to create a group and then add tokens.
trevor wrote:I hadn't thought of them as being that formal, or rather, creating a group from the map view would be sufficient.
Creating groups from the map view makes sense as any tokens have to be on a map before you can make a group with them.

We'll see how it goes once you have a first pass at at.
trevor wrote:Well, my family is all moved into our new house. Now for the next big thing this week, we expect baby #3 to arrive late this week.
Congrats on both!
**Dorpond covers his head in the fetal position as the other board members throw cabbage at him for not mentioning anything about their requests**
Could be worse. Could be kimchee.

trevor

Post by trevor »

dorpond wrote:Do what you can but don't bust your hump taking care of us! You have a wife that needs attention because you know what happens when they arn't happy :)
Heh, thanks for the concern. Trust me when I say RPTools doesn't bust my hump, rather it's my escape :) It's where I go when I need peace and quiet, and laugh with the entertaining people on the forums

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

*Dorpond gets up and takes a couple of the rotten cabbages scattered on the ground around him after the harsh pelting and he starts to juggle them; not three, not four but FIVE cabbages at one time!! The community just stands there in confusion, expecting Dorpond to lie there in his own filth and they start to clap (following Hex Boy's lead) at his ability to do such a feat after such abuse.**

Well you said you like to laugh with the entertaining people on the boards, Trevor :)

trevor

Post by trevor »

/dorpond shoots ... he scores !!!

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

* Hex Boy envisions a cabbage hitting the backboard and spraying cole slaw all over the court. *

* And then gets hungry and goes to lunch... *

Return to “Developer Notes”