MT 1.3b36 progress

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

MT 1.3b36 progress

Post by trevor »

Time for an update.

I've received quite a few "tweak" patches to fix and improve things from b35.

I sat down to fix the "portrait stat sheet properties are not being calculated" issue. Well, it turned out to be more involved than I expected.

The biggest problem is that the calculated result looked like crap because it was expanded out. Ugly.

So what I did was introduce a { } semantic. It works exactly the same as [ ] but it returns _only_ the result. My thought is that [ ] is for verified "rolls" and have roll decorations, and { } is for everything else. The { } doesn't do any non cheat verification, so you have to trust your players more.

That said, I also restructured the code to capture the original line and each transform after that so you can manually verify a { } line. However, I'm still figuring out how to display that information (it's trickier than you might think).

What this means is that you can create a property such as:
HP: 10
Mod: 2
TotalHP: {HP + Mod}

And if you have "TotalHP" on the stat sheet, it'll show "12" and _only_ "12".

A side effect of this change is that currently in the code base (for those that keep up with it) multiple evals per line don't "remember" temporary variable sets. That is, {h=2}{i=h+2} won't work because "h" is refreshed in the second eval. I'm working on making it line-scoped, and will probably introduce something like "global." to let you set global variables that are local to your machine.

--

I know Ryss is working on some great stuff. If he sends his stuff over before sunday night I'll see about making a build Sunday night so you guys can start playing with this stuff (and get the fixes for the last build)
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Re: MT 1.3b36 progress

Post by UntoldGlory »

trevor wrote: That said, I also restructured the code to capture the original line and each transform after that so you can manually verify a { } line. However, I'm still figuring out how to display that information (it's trickier than you might think).
And if you have "TotalHP" on the stat sheet, it'll show "12" and _only_ "12".

(and get the fixes for the last build)
Awesome, even without the cheat verification I'll totally make use of that.

And did you say "last build"? oooh. b37 is IT huh?

Ryss
Dragon

Post by Ryss »

I think he means "get the fixes for the things broken in b35".

This is where I stand as of this moment (everything listed here is against b35):
  • NEW: Moved macro tabs to their own dockable frames. Old macro tabbed panel doesn't exist anymore. This way you can have all of the tabs open at the same time and drag and drop token macros between them.
  • NEW: Added a new item to the right click menu of the global and campaign macro buttons named "Run For Each Selected". This command runs the macro against all the selected tokens. Yay for another way to roll mass saves! The executions are ordered alphabetically by the token name.
  • NEW: Added token image to impersonate panel.
  • NEW: If exactly one token is selected, display its image on the selection panel as frame icon.
  • NEW: New /self command for secret rolls and such (only you will see the result). /self now displays the token image, token name and token gm name if you are using it with /im, like "/im /self command". Command can be as complex as you like. You can use /self with token macros as well. In that case those macros are run secretly.
  • NEW: You can edit a token macro by right clicking on it and selecting "Edit Macro".
  • NEW: You can duplicate a token macro by right clicking on it and selecting "Duplicate Macro".
  • ENH: Updated right click menu items to make their intentions more clear.
  • ENH: You can /im with a token's gm name too. This is useful if you use short gm names and also if some of your tokens have the same public name. We advise not to do this but oh well...
  • ENH: Selection and impersonate panels displays token names in "<name> (gm_name)" format.
  • ENH: You can add/remove/edit macros from the impersonate panel as well.
  • ENH: Impersonate panel now has the button group for token macros.
  • ENH: Running macros from macro buttons preserves the text (if there is any) in the command panel. Previously the contents of the panel got erased on macro execution.
  • ENH: Added "Impersonate selected" and "Stop impersonating" buttons to impersonate panel.
  • ENH: Icons added to dockable frames.
  • ENH: Added a small impersonate icon in button groups in the selection panel. When you double click on it, that token will be impersonated.
  • ENH: The tokens in the selection panel are now ordered alphabetically.
  • BUGFIX: After loading a campaign, the global and macro panels stopped working. They work correctly now.
  • BUGFIX: When you dragged a macro from the common group in the selection panel, the drag wasn't allowed (which is the intended behavior) but when you released the left mouse button, the macros got fired. Fixed this and added a no-drag-mouse-cursor to indicate that you can't drag.
  • BUGFIX: Previously hotkeys didn't work when you have some floating panels and when those frames had the focus. This old bug has been fixed. Hotkeys now work everywhere.
  • MISC: Removed help texts from the panels.
  • MISC: Turned off impersonate panel gaining focus automatically on impersonate. Some people were getting annoyed by this.
  • DEVELOPMENT: Refactored code (cleaned up stuff, grouped some classes into packages for better OO design etc)
I still have some bugfixes and improvements to do.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

UntoldGlory wrote: And did you say "last build"? oooh. b37 is IT huh?
Heh, oops, "latest"
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Ryss
Dragon

Post by Ryss »

NEW: You can use newlines instead of <br>s in macros, if you are using the edit macro dialog.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Very cool!
Hopefully you can find time to work on the lighting issues and lighting/VBL performance.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Hey Trevor, I like the {} mechanic idea. Is there a way to make it so that the result shows the exploded text with a mouse over popup tool tip?

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

All of this is awesome! Thanks so much for all of your efforts!!!

Small voice would dearly love to see a very basic initiative tool inside MapTool...

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

lmarkus001 wrote:Small voice would dearly love to see a very basic initiative tool inside MapTool...

RedDog
Dragon

Post by RedDog »

trevor wrote:So what I did was introduce a { } semantic.
This will be a great addition! It will certainly be nice for embedding Token Properties and Die rolls into text lines. I am sure that the guys doing the work on those fancy 4E macros will be very happy with the new feature.
Ryss wrote: [*]NEW: New /self command for secret rolls and such (only you will see the result). /self now displays the token image, token name and token gm name if you are using it with /im, like "/im /self command". Command can be as complex as you like. You can use /self with token macros as well. In that case those macros are run secretly.
Ryss, will the token image be able to be shut off if the Show Avatar per line flag is disabled?
Also, Is there any chance we will be getting Speech Panels?

Ryss
Dragon

Post by Ryss »

RedDog wrote:Ryss, will the token image be able to be shut off if the Show Avatar per line flag is disabled?
Also, Is there any chance we will be getting Speech Panels?
Yes to the first, no to the second. Speech will be a subcategory of macros later on. Therefore there is no support for them as of now.

Brigand
Read-only User

Post by Brigand »

Is there any way we can get a temporary tooltip popup with the { } brackets? I really want to use them, but not if players can cheat.

Orchard
Great Wyrm

Post by Orchard »

Trevor,

you know how much I've been wanting this. The {} code will make me and my players very happy.

I think the way to verify this is to only allow it on token macros, which are viewable by the GM.
0+0=1, for very unstable CPUs.

MacPharlan
Giant

Post by MacPharlan »

trevor wrote:Time for an update.

So what I did was introduce a { } semantic. It works exactly the same as [ ] but it returns _only_ the result. My thought is that [ ] is for verified "rolls" and have roll decorations, and { } is for everything else. The { } doesn't do any non cheat verification, so you have to trust your players more.

What this means is that you can create a property such as:
HP: 10
Mod: 2
TotalHP: {HP + Mod}
First off, thanx, thanx, thanx... Now I can get rid of my scratch paper:)

Do we need to go into our props and change everything to be surounded by {squirlies}? Currently they are just bare word: HP + TempHP

patoace
Dragon

Post by patoace »

lmarkus001 wrote:All of this is awesome! Thanks so much for all of your efforts!!!

Small voice would dearly love to see a very basic initiative tool inside MapTool...
I'm all for initiative inside map tool, but with the new /stp it's easier track initiative order with a token property.

Return to “Developer Notes”