MT 1.3b36 progress

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Taragnor
Cave Troll

Post by Taragnor »

Orchard wrote: Yes, and it bit one of my players this past gaming session.
Yeah it hits my players every time they try to change the picture on their minis.

The only way around it is by dragging the mini as a token first, then changing it.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

UntoldGlory wrote:You can impersonate things without tokens?
Yes but you have to use the /im command. I've had a talking treasure chest before in a game.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

The GM can impersonate anything, existing or not, by using the /im command directly
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

Huh, learn something new everyday. :P

Ryss
Dragon

Re: [BUG]Impersonate Cancel Button

Post by Ryss »

Naryt wrote:If impersonating a token on the map, the cancel impersonation button is available but if impersonating a character that does not have a token (as will be the case with most minor NPCs) the cancel button is missing.

Checked using the dev version.
Noted. Thanks.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Ryss, a couple 'first impression' comments on B36 (DEV):

1. When I did an update in eclipse and ran Maptool, all the macro windows appeared all over the screen 'disconnected'. The first thought that came to my mind was what a new user would think seeing a whole screen of undocked windows all over the place. it may be a bit overwhelming. I think we should keep them all together at first use so that it looks a bit prettier. Thoughts?

2. So I grouped them all together into one macro window like in B35 but now when I want the macro window to go away, I click the X to close it and only that tab goes away. I have to literally cllose each and every tab out before the macro 'cluster' goes away.

In some ways, I am not sure if I like the overall feeling of the seperate windows for each macro "tab" in B36 (DEV)... Actually, a side of me makes me wonder if you are making the Macro stuff a little too advanced at this point. I think simple is good. B35 felt good to me though I must say and I am truly enjoying using your stuff with 4th edition power cards and such. I especially like dragging and dropping macros between tokens. Great Job!

[edit: heh, I didn't realize B36 was released until after I posted this. I guess these comments should go into the release thread but I will keep it here anyway]

Naryt
Dragon

Post by Naryt »

Yes, GMs can do it all the time and players can as well if strict impersonation is turned off.

just type /im I have no token and you'll be impersonating the character "I have no token"
A wandering lost soul

Ryss
Dragon

Post by Ryss »

dorpond wrote:Ryss, a couple 'first impression' comments on B36 (DEV):

1. When I did an update in eclipse and ran Maptool, all the macro windows appeared all over the screen 'disconnected'. The first thought that came to my mind was what a new user would think seeing a whole screen of undocked windows all over the place. it may be a bit overwhelming. I think we should keep them all together at first use so that it looks a bit prettier. Thoughts?

2. So I grouped them all together into one macro window like in B35 but now when I want the macro window to go away, I click the X to close it and only that tab goes away. I have to literally cllose each and every tab out before the macro 'cluster' goes away.

In some ways, I am not sure if I like the overall feeling of the seperate windows for each macro "tab" in B36 (DEV)... Actually, a side of me makes me wonder if you are making the Macro stuff a little too advanced at this point. I think simple is good. B35 felt good to me though I must say and I am truly enjoying using your stuff with 4th edition power cards and such. I especially like dragging and dropping macros between tokens. Great Job!

[edit: heh, I didn't realize B36 was released until after I posted this. I guess these comments should go into the release thread but I will keep it here anyway]
1. That was out intention but neither Trevor nor I could set up the default location of the dockable frames correctly :|. My original aim was to set them up just like you said (bottom right, "tabbed").

2. Yeah I might be pushing things a little (or not). The reason is that I generally have no idea what feature is really necessary because I'm not a MT user myself. Therefore I have to rely on public opinion for what's needed and what's not. As you know usually people want to see new features, not to constrain them.

Separate panels for macro stuff became necessary due to included features, otherwise usability would go down the drain. You'd have to switch tabs like a madman to access those features. Besides you can close any panels you don't want/use. Separate panels should not be an issue.

Having said all that I think token macros are very important from a usability point of view. I don't think I've overdone it (but as I said, I easily might have).

I am open to suggestions, criticisms etc as always :).

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Rather than drag and drop, what about cut and paste between some of the tabs? This would remove the need for multiple windows.

I find some of the tabs redundant or unused. I tend to use the selected tab most although I assume the campaign tab will get a lot of use later as you 'give' macros to players. Global would be for non-token macros but I find I don't uses those much since tables normally fill that roll. I don't really see the need for the impersonate tab over the selected tab since I find myself selecting the token then using the new button to impersonate.

I guess for now I'd throw all the functions in there we can then distill them into a more streamlined version at the end of the 1.3. So for now, keep on trucking but think about more streamlined ways of doing things for 1.3 final.

hennebeck
Dragon

Post by hennebeck »

Regarding moving macros...Are you supposed to be able to move macros between panels? Because I can't.

Ryss
Dragon

Post by Ryss »

You can only drag & drop between impersonate and selection panel (you can drag and drop within the same panel too ofc).

BTW impersonation panel has a bug: If you drop a macro on it, it doesn't update itself although the macro gets copied correctly. To fix this I have to make some extensive changes to the design (which I'm going to).

Orchard
Great Wyrm

Post by Orchard »

Does this release fix the issue of macros not updating across the network?

For instance I can easily add macros to a token as the GM, but right now in order for the player to see it, I have to save the token, delete it from the map and then add it back. Is there a way to fix that?
0+0=1, for very unstable CPUs.

thelevitator
Dragon

Post by thelevitator »

Ryss has been evolving the Macro Panels so quickly that I haven't been able to keep up with some of the projected progress.

How far away are we from being able to use the Campaign Macro Tab for shared Macros?

Last night we played Dawn Patrol, and to handle Tailing in the game, I created 20 text macros, all color-coded for each of the maneuvers. I was hoping that when my players logged in, that they would see them. But instead, they had to create the macros by themselves so that we were all using the same buttons.

I'm sure there are other ways to get macros to people, but when you don't realize that they can't see them until you are ready to start the game, I didn't know of a quicker way to get them the macros.
"Neither hexes nor squares can confine me!"

James Anthony
"It's all in your head....."
http://www.spelz.net

Ryss
Dragon

Post by Ryss »

thelevitator wrote:How far away are we from being able to use the Campaign Macro Tab for shared Macros?
I believe in not too distant future. Could happen in the next build even, but there are no guarantees.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Wonderful. This is the main feature I wanted from the rework so that GMs could share with players a common set of 'accepted' macros that are modifiable on the fly.

Return to “Developer Notes”