MapTool 1.1 build 15 Development progress

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

MapTool 1.1 build 15 Development progress

Post by trevor »

So here's the plan for build 15:

* Controlled token movement (including the concept of current turn)
* Free size of tokens
* Bug fixes and improvements on build 14
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

trevor

Post by trevor »

My plan for free-size (and include rotation) is this:

I'm making an assertion (taken from giliath) that working with stamps and backgrounds is fundamentally different than working with tokens.

That is, when on the stamp/background layer it is admissible to add additional control widgets on the map display.

With that in mind, this is what I propose:

- On Stamp/background layer, when selecting a token(s) a control widget will show up on top of the token, one for resize, the other for rotate.
- Deselecting the token removes the widgets.

How does that sound ?

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

That sounds like a most excellent choice! :)

trevor

Post by trevor »

Good enough for me :) I'll make this the target and we can adjust as we go along.

trevor

Post by trevor »

UPDATE:

OK, got the token freesize sizing done. It's very ugly, but, a small (10x10) black box shows up in the bottom right corner of the selected token. Click-dragging this corner freely resizes the token.

I'd be very, very, very happy if someone would come up with a super sweet graphic for that bottom right corner (and perhaps for each corner). I suppose I could also change the mouse pointer to a resize shape.

Now on to rotation (a touch more tricky)

trevor

Post by trevor »

I take that back. I'm going to put the convenience widget for rotation until build 16. The right click->Set Facing is pretty easy, and I want to get to emryys's movement control feature, then make a build.

thelevitator
Dragon

Post by thelevitator »

Hey now, don't forget the pretty and colorful token glows!! JK, I'm in no hurry on that. It's a little thing compared to some of these upcoming big changes.

BTW, I did a stamped map in Maptools last night, and is that ever cool! Even though it's limited right now, being able to create maps on a boundless background is really cool.

Does anyone have a good source for more unbounded backgrounds to use this way? (cough....cough.....Dorpond......cough) :lol:
"Neither hexes nor squares can confine me!"

James Anthony
"It's all in your head....."
http://www.spelz.net

trevor

Post by trevor »

Heh, cool, just wait for the next build, it includes freesize support, which will make stamps even cooler

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

thelevitator wrote:Does anyone have a good source for more unbounded backgrounds to use this way? (cough....cough.....Dorpond......cough) :lol:
Well this unbound map thing is all new to me too so no, I don't have much more yet. For years the gaming community had this single map mentality so I only have a stack of singles. I think once they see the power, the trend will change :)

What did you have in mind? What kind of backgrounds?

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

thelevitator wrote:BTW, I did a stamped map in Maptools last night, and is that ever cool! Even though it's limited right now, being able to create maps on a boundless background is really cool.
You have me curious - what did you stamp? How did you use it. Give details :)

I am interested in the map you used for unbound too and what wow'd you about it.

Any suggestions on improvements?

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

thelevitator wrote:Hey now, don't forget the pretty and colorful token glows!! JK, I'm in no hurry on that. It's a little thing compared to some of these upcoming big changes.
That reminds me; Trevor, did you like the RIP stuff? Is that something you might implement some day? Is there something you want changed with that? Just curious what your thoughts were with it all.

trevor

Post by trevor »

dorpond wrote:
thelevitator wrote:Hey now, don't forget the pretty and colorful token glows!! JK, I'm in no hurry on that. It's a little thing compared to some of these upcoming big changes.
That reminds me; Trevor, did you like the RIP stuff? Is that something you might implement some day? Is there something you want changed with that? Just curious what your thoughts were with it all.
Yes definitely, just have to find the time to integrate it :)

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

The only problem I can see, is making the "tile" for an unbound map seamless.

I have Tons of textures that could be used this way, but when they are tiled... :P
Game On!

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Emryys wrote:The only problem I can see, is making the "tile" for an unbound map seamless.

I have Tons of textures that could be used this way, but when they are tiled... :P
That is what I am for friend :)

Pass them along - I need people like you :wink:
Like RPTroll said, I am an "Engineer" - I take something from someone else and make it better (well sometimes anyway) :)

Between the two of us, maybe we can produce something cool!

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

The easiest thing to do would be to go to The GM's Parlor, join (free) and DL the user packs. They have tons of objects, but also tons of textures that would be perfect for unbound maps! Lots of floor tiles too for stamps...

They are packaged as zips with a month's worth of stuff on th DJ boards and the license is very agreeable! :)
Game On!

Return to “Developer Notes”