Issues with Build 14

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

dorpond
RPTools Team

Issues with Build 14

Post by dorpond »

OK, I have been having a ball with the new layers - it has greatly increased the amount of time to plop down stamps. Great job!

One pitfall I just came across though that is a real big issue. I was making an town map (which is going in a new thread) and when I was finally done and happy with the stamps, I dropped down a couple character tokens. Well, I thought it would look better if the players were smaller so I went to adjust the grid and when I did ALL my stamps adjusted with it. :shock:

That is bad, very bad :)

So basically, if this was prepared for a real game, I would have wasted a lot of time.

So how do we approach this?

Couple options:
1. Make it so both stamps and background do not size to grid.
2. Make it so background do not size to grid.

I personally cannot think of any reason why I would want a stampable object size with the grid so my vote is option #1. I don't even think stamps or objects should snap to grid either by default. Well, something to think about: What about a cart or a wagon? Would we want them to scale with the characters or will we just scale the the characters to fit the wagon size? I would think the latter.

Feature request:
Also, I am not sure if this is enabled yet but I tried dragging items in the stamps column to the background column - I couldn't. Again, I am not sure if that is available yet. We will need for that to scroll too and also allow us to Shift Select a whole bunch of them to move to a different Token Type.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

I'm not 100% convinced about this but I'm definitely leaning towards the grid adjusting seperate from the stamps and background objects.

I had noticed this last night while finding bugs for Trevor :) and hadn't decided yet if it was good or bad.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Phergus wrote:I had noticed this last night while finding bugs for Trevor :) and hadn't decided yet if it was good or bad.
*Finger wave on Seinfeld*
Bad, vedy bad

Trust me when I say this - I was making those railroad tracks and when I adjusted the grid and saw everything go nuts on me, I was never able to get those tracks back to normal again and had to redo them all.

Bad, vedy bad..

:)

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

That's no good.

So the tracks were not on free-size ?
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

trevor

Re: Issues with Build 14

Post by trevor »

dorpond wrote: Feature request:
Also, I am not sure if this is enabled yet but I tried dragging items in the stamps column to the background column - I couldn't. Again, I am not sure if that is available yet. We will need for that to scroll too and also allow us to Shift Select a whole bunch of them to move to a different Token Type.
This is not yet enabled, but will as we iterate on it

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

No - not free size.

Speaking of which, I have another issue. back to that "when I move a stamp to a location and it doesn't stay where I let go of the mouse" issue.

I noticed what is happening.

When I took those barrels and made them tiny, I tried to move them next to the house but when we click on an object, the pointer turns into the object (well kinda) and it is off the corner of the original object. That makes it look like it moved already so when I move it 3 inches, visually it looks like it move 3.2 inches and the barrel will not be where it should.

hmmm.. did that make sense? :)

Do this trevor - load up a quick map. Take a small object and plop it down. Make it tiny so you are forced to zoom in closer to the object (this happens with any object - making it tiny just makes it easier). Turn off snap to grid. Now move it.

Notice what happens when you click on the object. Try to move the object just a smidged. See how difficult it is? It is because the pointer takes the object and offsets it when you try to drag it instead of leaving the object centered with the original object.

Can this be fixed?

heruca
Dragon

Re: Issues with Build 14

Post by heruca »

dorpond wrote:OK, I have been having a ball with the new layers - it has greatly increased the amount of time to plop down stamps. Great job!
LOL! I'll assume you meant decreased. :lol:

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

;)

:shock:

:lol:

Thanks - you are correct.

trevor

Post by trevor »

dorpond wrote: Do this trevor - load up a quick map. Take a small object and plop it down. Make it tiny so you are forced to zoom in closer to the object (this happens with any object - making it tiny just makes it easier). Turn off snap to grid. Now move it.
whoah, that's yucky. I'll fix it for build 15.

trevor

Post by trevor »

trevor wrote:
dorpond wrote: Do this trevor - load up a quick map. Take a small object and plop it down. Make it tiny so you are forced to zoom in closer to the object (this happens with any object - making it tiny just makes it easier). Turn off snap to grid. Now move it.
whoah, that's yucky. I'll fix it for build 15.
Fixed. Interestlingly the root of the problem is that the small sized tokens were not being rendered in the correct location (surprisingly, the drag location was more accurate). So with the new update, the position of small tokens in saved campaigns will be slightly off.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Trevor, are you planning on fixing the original issue in this thread for build 15?

It is really screwing me up when I size the grid and my whole stamped town scales too..

*dorpond keeps fingers crossed*

trevor

Post by trevor »

Well, presumably, in some cases you want the stamp to keep aspect ratio with the cell.

It sounds like having an easy free size would fix your problem though, you would just size the stamps the way you want and they will be independent of the grid. You could still use snap-to-grid (via a keystroke) for initial placement and sizing.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Trevor, are you planning on fixing the original issue in this thread for build 15?

It is really screwing me up when I size the grid and my whole stamped town scales too..
I hate to ruin his suprise but, yes, he fixed it.

Hold it. Maybe he didn't. :shock: :? :shock:

You want them to stay the same size when they are not flagged as free size?

Um. But the defined sizes are in whole cells. Anything with a defined size should adjust. At least to my way of thinking.

Stamps set as free-size don't change with grid adjustments which makes perfect sense to me.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Maybe you are right - I will have to re-test.

What I find myself doing a lot here is taking objects like trees, tracks, carts, and what-not and since they are way too big with free size, I make them a preset size.

Maybe it is only those that are sizing with the grid and like you said, that should be.. I totally forgot that and had only a stampers frame of mind. (thus totally forgetting about player/monster tokens).

I will have to see if the free size is affected.

I think my thoughts were: "If it is in the stamps/background group, it doesn't size to grid" not "If it is a preset size, it sizes with grid"

Easy mistake if you ask me :)

trevor

Post by trevor »

dorpond wrote: Easy mistake if you ask me :)
Quite so. I've got a plan for to make freesize much easier to use, which should be included in build 15.

Return to “Developer Notes”