MT 1.3b46 progress

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Natha
Dragon

Post by Natha »

Thank you 8)

Daelkyr
Giant

Post by Daelkyr »

I asked this in another thread, but this looks like the place to go. Would it be possible to do a ctrl + ? option for the Lock Player Movement? I know, I'm greedy with the needing new features. :oops:

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Update

My hardware issues are slowing down the process, but the next build is close
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

What hardware issues exactly? Maybe I missed it in another thread, but perhaps the community could assist!

Orchard
Great Wyrm

Post by Orchard »

Hawke wrote:What hardware issues exactly? Maybe I missed it in another thread, but perhaps the community could assist!
He mentioned having two computers go on the fritz, but gave very little detail other than that. I think something about a hard-drive.
0+0=1, for very unstable CPUs.

RedDog
Dragon

Post by RedDog »

Maybe we should hold a little fund raiser for Trevor to help out with his hardware woes (and in appreciation of all the great work he does).

pmbruner
Dragon

Post by pmbruner »

I have a quick question concerning b46 and going forward. I have seen it mentioned, several times, that we are moving towards a final 1.3bxx stable release. Some of the new macro functionality coding is very complex. Are we close enough to stable that we can go ahead and code macro's in the hopes of not having to re-create them from the ground up in future 1.3bxx releases, or should we wait?

I understand that 1.4 will possibly be dramatically different. My concern stems from the fact that for the first time, over in another forum, I feel that the Hero System folks amongst us are gettin some "real" support. Instead of using "the system that shall not be named" (ok D20), and ad-libbing or converting things by hand, we actually have some macro code developed that does actual Hero things. I am excited about this functionality and don't want to see our efforts go to waste as the vresion becomes stable.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

pmbruner wrote:I have a quick question concerning b46 and going forward. I have seen it mentioned, several times, that we are moving towards a final 1.3bxx stable release. Some of the new macro functionality coding is very complex. Are we close enough to stable that we can go ahead and code macro's in the hopes of not having to re-create them from the ground up in future 1.3bxx releases, or should we wait?

At this point, there is not enough information. As with any non final release version, you can't count on anything staying the same. I would probably say that the macro development is slowing down, BUT there is an expectation of possibly having javascript in before 1.3 goes final and we have no specific deadline on when 1.3 will be "gold".

I understand not wanting to have to change macros every version, but it's either take the chance that something will change or don't upgrade. The only guaranteed way to not have to change macro syntax for a while is to pick a version and don't upgrade for however long you want, at the expense of not having any bug fixes or new functionality.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Update
Heh, sry for the delay guys. My hardware issues are a screen failure on a laptop, and a "I'm only going to run for about 2 minutes before uttlerly freezingup" issue on my primary development desktop. I thought it was memory, but swapping that out didn't solve the overall problem. Which means it's probably motherboard related. It's been dying a slow death the past 8 mos or so (it's 5+ years old now), but finally gave up the ghost.

Fortunately I've learned (through painful experience) to never keep important data on any one machine, so I'm not out anything (besides, the hdd is fine, just the machine won't boot). The hangup is that I hate developing on my small (8+ yr old) lappy or my mac mini. And it's hard to justify to the wife to buy a $1000+ machine while I've got 3 or 4 "working" machines in the house already.

But the past week I have gotten a development environment up and running on one of the other machines, so I'm going to finish reviewing and applying all the patches I've received and fix some of the more obnoxious bugs, and get b46 out.

Thanks for your patience !
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Orchard
Great Wyrm

Post by Orchard »

trevor wrote:Update
Heh, sry for the delay guys. My hardware issues are a screen failure on a laptop, and a "I'm only going to run for about 2 minutes before uttlerly freezingup" issue on my primary development desktop. I thought it was memory, but swapping that out didn't solve the overall problem. Which means it's probably motherboard related. It's been dying a slow death the past 8 mos or so (it's 5+ years old now), but finally gave up the ghost.

Fortunately I've learned (through painful experience) to never keep important data on any one machine, so I'm not out anything (besides, the hdd is fine, just the machine won't boot). The hangup is that I hate developing on my small (8+ yr old) lappy or my mac mini. And it's hard to justify to the wife to buy a $1000+ machine while I've got 3 or 4 "working" machines in the house already.

But the past week I have gotten a development environment up and running on one of the other machines, so I'm going to finish reviewing and applying all the patches I've received and fix some of the more obnoxious bugs, and get b46 out.

Thanks for your patience !
I know that feeling.

"Honey, I need to buy X for the computer"

"Why"

"Uh, because Y isn't working the way it should."

"Do you really need it?"

"Er, well, I'd be able to do Z faster and more efficiently if I had it...besides, it's on sale right now."

"But do you need it?"

"Er, I guess not. But if I don't buy it now, it'll be more expensive when I do need it."

"How do you know that?"

"Uh, well, because that's how perverse the universe is."

"Well, too bad. You'll just have to wait. We have other things that are more important right now."

"Bummer. Well, okay, but I'm telling you it's gonna be ugly when this thing goes..."

"Whatever, just keep the computers working okay?"

I think the fundamental difference between my wife and myself is that I want to tinker and she just wants stability.

Come to think of it, I think that applies to our cooking habits as well...

Oh well....

Anyway...good luck Trevor.

Crudeboy
Giant

Post by Crudeboy »

I know that feeling.

"Honey, I need to buy X for the computer"

"Why" ...
If I had a nickel for every time I've been through this, I'd be eating nickel soup. I went through almost the same exact conversation yesterday, as a matter of fact. :wink:

My machine's getting pretty long in the tooth as well. Hell, what I have now is an old Dell I fished out of a dumpster near my apartment, after my old apartment burned down (taking my computer with it). A bigger hard drive and spanky new video card are the only things I've put in it.

Indeed. Good luck, Trevor. Hopefully you can get everything in working order, if only for your sanity. :wink:

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

We have a rule around our (my?) house: never tell the other person to sacrifice unless you're prepared to hear the same thing coming back at you later! It works pretty well, except the wife and I are both cheapskates, so it's not too tough. :)

I don't get questions any more about, "do you need it", I get questions about how I'm going to use it once I have and whether it would benefit my (a) sanity/stress level, (b) free time, or (c) wallet. ;)

I really want to get a new AIX machine (I could make a small argument that it would help generate revenue), but I can't justify it using any of the three points listed above, so I don't even bring it up. :)

Orchard
Great Wyrm

Post by Orchard »

Azhrei wrote:We have a rule around our (my?) house: never tell the other person to sacrifice unless you're prepared to hear the same thing coming back at you later! It works pretty well, except the wife and I are both cheapskates, so it's not too tough. :)

I don't get questions any more about, "do you need it", I get questions about how I'm going to use it once I have and whether it would benefit my (a) sanity/stress level, (b) free time, or (c) wallet. ;)

I really want to get a new AIX machine (I could make a small argument that it would help generate revenue), but I can't justify it using any of the three points listed above, so I don't even bring it up. :)
Hah, don't fool yourself. It's her house. Actually, sanity/stress doesn't enter the question at my house. I have an advanced degree in psychology, and she has her BA in psych (and was close to an MA in psych before she quite grad school...). We are both already long past the sanity barriers...and we have 4 kids. Stress? What stress?

Free time? I have 4 kids.

Wallet? I have 4 kids.

Uh....

Wow. You know....about that whole 4 kids thing: I love them, but it sure does take a lot of resources. Then I look at the two families I know right now that make mine look tiny: one with 7 (or is it 8?) and the other with 14! (yikes!).

Well, anyways....

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Orchard wrote: Wow. You know....about that whole 4 kids thing: I love them, but it sure does take a lot of resources. Then I look at the two families I know right now that make mine look tiny: one with 7 (or is it 8?) and the other with 14! (yikes!).

Well, anyways....
Sorry for the threadjack, but ya know, what's funny is that I have known several people who have 5,6, or 7 kids and are far more content and less concerned about the economy than people with one or two kids who make double the money. I guess it's all about priorities...
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Orchard
Great Wyrm

Post by Orchard »

jfrazierjr wrote:
Orchard wrote: Wow. You know....about that whole 4 kids thing: I love them, but it sure does take a lot of resources. Then I look at the two families I know right now that make mine look tiny: one with 7 (or is it 8?) and the other with 14! (yikes!).

Well, anyways....
Sorry for the threadjack, but ya know, what's funny is that I have known several people who have 5,6, or 7 kids and are far more content and less concerned about the economy than people with one or two kids who make double the money. I guess it's all about priorities...
Yeah, it is.

Because I think most of those with big families are either in one of two positions financially:

either you have a good job and are going to do well enough regardless of the economy, or you are used to scrimping and dealing with a larger scale.

Either way you start adjusting some things--you tend to buy in bulk, save up on certain things and prepare in advance. Short term bumps don't affect you as much, and you tend not to invest in risky things--because you can't. Not saying that smaller families are all doing riskier stuff, but I find that when I'm on my own, I tend to take more risks, and that people who are more responsible for more people tend to play things a lot safer. Thus are less worried about the economy because they have less riding on it.

Return to “Developer Notes”