MapTool Build 17 progress

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

brisingre wrote:I say make the token 40% transparent to the GM.
Actually, this is a good point: the Token Visibility that Phergus referred to, above, must be easily recognizable by the GM or they risk making a reference to that token when describing the scene.

That's unlikely for a trap represented by a stamp (for example, I will put a big "T" inside a white box and use that as my "trap" stamp; but it's not shown to the players, of course). But other objects that are not shown to the players might not be so obvious.

I like Phergus' statement in attempting to define the terms: Token Visibility and Token State. I will call them TV and TS for short, from now on. With an occasional reminder. ;)

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Azhrei wrote:Actually, this is a good point: the Token Visibility that Phergus referred to, above, must be easily recognizable by the GM or they risk making a reference to that token when describing the scene.
I wholeheartedly agree. It is paramount that status information be conveyed quickly, concisely and un-ambiguously to the GM.

Of course there is a balance to be reached where sufficient information is available without overwhelming the GM.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Didn't get a whole lot of time on rptools.net over the weekend (curse you Sid Meier's Pirates !)

But I did get to clean up the screencap export dialog.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

trevor

Post by trevor »

OK, got local filesystem screencaps working.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Groovy!

So are you RPTools guys attending/involved with the AGC going on now? Looks like an interesting conference. I see that Chris Klug, designer on my favorite pencil & paper RPG DragonQuest, is going to be a speaker.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Phergus wrote: So are you RPTools guys attending/involved with the AGC going on now?
You'll have to forgive me, I'm not familiar with that one (Austing Gaming Convention?)

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Austin Game Conference. It's become pretty significant in the computer game industry. As y'all are in Austin I figured there was a chance you worked for one of the game development studios there.

http://www.gameconference.com/

trevor

Post by trevor »

OK, so I was right. I came close to going to one or two of the talks this year, but work, house, new baby, et al wasn't being very flexible :P

Actually, I'm a software developer for a small software company that writes software for the financial vertical. Kinda gives you an idea why I enjoy working on rptools so much, it's so much cooler than my day code :)

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

...writes software for the financial vertical. Kinda gives you an idea why I enjoy working on rptools so much, it's so much cooler than my day code.
Yeah I could see where that might be the case. :)

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

trevor wrote:OK, got local filesystem screencaps working.
Excellent! The FTP version wasn't too practical for me; my players would prefer to take their own screen captures and setting up an FTP server just to do that is a bit of overhead.

Of course, I set one up on my laptop and let them store their shots there. But it was kind of a pain for them to then drag them back to their desktop.

So thanks a bunch! That'll be a nice addition.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Got some other polish and minor features done. I'll plan on making a build probably monday

trevor

Post by trevor »

Almost got hex pathing working, it exposed a bug in my zonepoint to cell point conversion, so I'm working through that.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

trevor wrote:Almost got hex pathing working, it exposed a bug in my zonepoint to cell point conversion, so I'm working through that.
I shiver in antici...

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

Phergus wrote:
trevor wrote:Almost got hex pathing working, it exposed a bug in my zonepoint to cell point conversion, so I'm working through that.
I shiver in antici...
Easy Phergus.... ;)
Game On!

Jector
Great Wyrm

Post by Jector »

...pation?
I cast firecube! ~4E

Return to “Developer Notes”