MapTool Build 17 progress

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

MapTool Build 17 progress

Post by trevor »

(snipping from another thread)

Making the confirmation button the default - DONE
Good call

Keystroke inconsistencies - DEFERRED
A matrix would be super useful ! I'm always open to adding keystroke shortcuts, just let me know how they should work

Pointer duration - DEFERRED
It will actually stay there as long as you hold down the space bar. That might not be very obvious. Perhaps I could put in a minimum display time.

Pointer over fow - DEFERRED
That's a tricky one. It almost seems like it should be above the fow all the time. If you don't want someone to see the pointer, refer to the next point

Multi token property updates - DONE
Many properties, specifically those that are on the right click menu, should be updating with multi select. If they aren't that's a bug, let me know which ones.

Connections panel to show ownership - DEFERRED
You mean like which tokens they own ? That's a good idea.

Enforce Map vs Link View confusion - DONE (Enforce View (Once) vs Enforce View (continuous)
This comes up fairly regularly. That means it needs attention. Think of Enforce Map as making everyone look at a specific something and Link View as doing a Enforce Map any time the GM changes what they look at. I'm open to ideas on how to make that more obvious

Token numbering - DEFERRED
That's a bug

Token visibility - DONE
The original intention was to make it possible for the GM to hide things until the appropriate time. But it also makes sense that a token owner can always see their token. I'm open to making that adjustment, any oppositions ? (if there are, we just need to have two defined states: invisible, and not-in-play, or something)

Invisible tokens not showing up as such - DEFERRED
There is a tracker on this. It used to work, then just stopped at some point. I think it's lined up for a 1.1 fix

GM name showing up in token label - DONE example: A Cloaked Person (The Duke of Kick Your Butt), only shows to GM
This is a good idea, I think I had originally thought to add it as a suffix in parenthesis (eg "man 1 (The terminator)" ) so that it's obvious that it's the GM's view of the name. I'm happy to make this change

Map locations freaking out on load - DEFERRED
This has been a bother for far too long. Consider it crosshaired.
Last edited by trevor on Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

trevor

Post by trevor »

Hey, how do you guys want invisible tokens to be displayed to the GM ? Originally I had a silly little icon sitting in the top right corner. But maybe we could be more creative, like graying it out, or draw hashes on it, or something.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

I assume by invisible you mean not visible to the players and not invisible as in under the effect of a spell.

I'd be happy with a red H (for hidden) in the corner of it. After all the GM is the only one that can see it so I'm not as interested in being subtle about it.

There does need to be some kind of actual Invisibility function at some point. Where the token is only visible to the owner and the GM but is clearly flagged on the GM's view as being Invisible.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Phergus wrote: There does need to be some kind of actual Invisibility function at some point. Where the token is only visible to the owner and the GM but is clearly flagged on the GM's view as being Invisible.
This is how it is currently implemented. The thought being if you don't want the player to see it, don't assign it to them.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

trevor wrote:
Phergus wrote: There does need to be some kind of actual Invisibility function at some point. Where the token is only visible to the owner and the GM but is clearly flagged on the GM's view as being Invisible.
This is how it is currently implemented. The thought being if you don't want the player to see it, don't assign it to them.
Ummm. That's how it is working in build 17? Cuz that isn't how it works in build 16.

Assuming, again, you are talking about the right-click Visible option.

To me there are two very different definitions of visible. Visible to the players and visible to the characters. The first is used by the GM to place hidden tokens on the map only to be made visible when they should be. This keeps them off the token list. This is GM "maintenance" function and a token flagged as Not Visible would never be assigned to a player.

The second kind of visible, or invisibility, is that imparted to a character through spell or ability. This would be a Token State like Hidden, Dead or Prone. This is the one where there should be an Invisible Token State that works as described.

I think it would be very odd to have the Visible toggle implement a Token State function.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Whoah, de ja vu :) Take a look at the post at the top of this page:

http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?t=522&start=45

I'm open to having the two states, just no one seemed to be opposed to the simplified version :)

trevor

Post by trevor »

Oh yeah, Phergus, I've got some hex love planned for build 17 too :)

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

trevor wrote:Oh yeah, Phergus, I've got some hex love planned for build 17 too :)
Sweeeet!

Game On!

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

I haven't been following these posts much but I should really start by saying we should try to use better words when talking about hidden/invisible tokens. (and if we are, I appologize for misunderstanding)

Hidden: This to me means that a character is hidding making him "invisible" to others that don't spot him.
Invisible: This to me means that a character is under the invisible spell or a cloaking device of some sort.

So Let us look at game play:

If we have tokens that are not in player view and are walking around the dungeon randomly (like random monsters), they are not hidden and not invisible. They should actually be under a FoW until revealed by vision or light (if they are in the dark). In the interim, we can just mark these as inactive so the palyers don't see them on an area of the map they visited two days ago.

If we have tokens that are on the map but are to be introduced at a later time like when a boss and his minions come back from their hunting, then those should be marked inactive somehow.

If a player selects Invisible, he should be under the invisibility spell or similiar affect. He can see his own token but nobody but the GM can see his.

If the player is hidden, he should be hidding - A simple marker just to show what that character is doing is fine. Maybe even down the road we can mark it Hidding 31 (the hide roll) so we know what the hide check was so we know what we need to beat it. Nonetheless, we should still be able to see the token.

OK, now I will slither back to my cave.. :)
Last edited by dorpond on Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

I'm with you Dorpond. These discussions have been very wierd because most of them seem to have been talking about two different things at once.

Token Visibility - which players can or cannot see the tokens but has nothing to do with game mechanics
Token State - including Hidden, Invisibility (which currently isn't a state), Prone, etc. (may affect Token Visibility)

Take the link the Trevor just posted for example. He was talking about Token Visibility while Azhrei appeared to be talking about the character being blind which wouldn't affect whether the Player could see his token but introduces a whole raft of other concerns that aren't addressed by either Token Visibility or State.

So at this point I have no idea what is or isn't planned or implemented but I'm fairly sure that my token is still visible.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

trevor wrote:Oh yeah, Phergus, I've got some hex love planned for build 17 too :)
Excellent! Looking forward to getting out of these box shaped worlds.

brisingre
Dragon

Post by brisingre »

I say make the token 40% transparent to the GM.
Chaotic Neutral means never having to say you're sorry.

trevor

Post by trevor »

brisingre wrote:I say make the token 40% transparent to the GM.
That's a possibility.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Will you be able to tell if it is under the FoW?

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Phergus wrote:
Will you be able to tell if it is under the FoW?
Nice Catcha-Gotcha Phergus!

Return to “Developer Notes”