New website software

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

New website software

Post by trevor »

In light of the recent host issues, I've been researching web site software the past week with the intention of taking the opportunity to rebuild the main web site.

I found a CMS system that I really like and will meet my requirements.

It's called CMSMadeSimple (CMSMS). It's PHP based, using templates.

Just thought I'd pass on the info, in case anyone was interested.

Also, if anyone out there has mad "make things look awesome" skills and wanted to photoshop a layout together for the overall site, I'd be greatly appreciative.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Orchard
Great Wyrm

Re: New website software

Post by Orchard »

[quote="trevor"]In light of the recent host issues, I've been researching web site software the past week with the intention of taking the opportunity to rebuild the main web site.

I found a CMS system that I really like and will meet my requirements.

It's called CMSMadeSimple (CMSMS). It's PHP based, using templates.

Just thought I'd pass on the info, in case anyone was interested.

Also, if anyone out there has mad "make things look awesome" skills and wanted to photoshop a layout together for the overall site, I'd be greatly appreciative.[/quote]

Hmm...what are your requirements, and are there any others that you are considering? Or is this a done deal?

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

A CMS sounds like a find idea. I've used Joomla! a little bit and I really like its ability to define "journalists" and "editors". Individual journalists can submit articles and their editor can review it before it is published. In addition, there's a senior editor who can assign editorial positions to other users.

Would you be using this in addition to or as a replacement for the forums?

(Also, it looks like the BBcode isn't working for this thread. Trev, do you have BBcode turned off by default? I'm wondering if that is causing the entire thread to turn off BBcode. I've edited the original post to look at that field and it's not turned off.)

Notsonoble
Dragon

Post by Notsonoble »

I'm not sure a CMS setup wouldn't be overkill... unless you plan on being/insisting on others being more vigilant on updating the actual site, other wise, a simple front page, description page for each application, and download page would be enough.

I would seriously advise against using something like Joomla! in place of a forum. The STARFLEET site my group has is Joomla! based, and it's "multi-person, public commentless, blog" format is not really inspiring communication. (That may be more the webmaster's fault than the software though... his enthusiasm is ranks in the negatives on a 1 to 10 scale. That's not entirely his fault, but when he admitted he and the person helping him implement it did so without ever touching more than the instillation part of the documentation, I stopped expecting the site to really ever improve.)

If you DO intend for updates of the site to be more frequent... then that's a whole other story.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

That's why I asked if the forums were separate from the CMS. ;)

trevor

Post by trevor »

I've been to sites that use drupal and joomla, and I gotta be honest, I'm not super impressed with their speed.

The reason I like CMSMS is because it doesn't try to be everything. It's perfect for what I want.

The forums will stay the way they are.
Documentation will stay as a wiki.
Gallery will stay the same.

The CMS is handling everything else, the glue to hold the different pieces together.

trevor

Post by trevor »

If anyone is interested in helping lay out and build the new web site, send me a PM

trevor

Post by trevor »

Azhrei wrote: (Also, it looks like the BBcode isn't working for this thread. Trev, do you have BBcode turned off by default? I'm wondering if that is causing the entire thread to turn off BBcode.
Weird, it's working in other threads. I didn't do anything different to this thread. Go phpbb3 ! :(

Notsonoble
Dragon

Post by Notsonoble »

You might check the settings on the ACP... BBCode is set to off in Announcements and Developers Notes:

Also, with exception of the download, sidebar, and supporters page you changed on the second... no body's updated the wiki in in form or fashion in 4 months. That was 1.3 build 39... so again, unless someone intends to actually upkeep the wiki more vigilantly... it's wasting space and bandwidth. All the usable documentation for 1.2 hasn't changed in even longer... and all the useable 1.3 documentation is on the forums.

Return to “Developer Notes”