MT 1.3b51 progress

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Rumble
Deity

Re: MT 1.3b51 progress

Post by Rumble »

Please do! I've been holding my breath since Monday, and my wife is getting tired of me passing out.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Update
I've updated the first post with the current b51 change list.

I believe I've fixed the bugs that I've been working on. I like how things are turning out.

I've put a hold on development (including some patches, sry!) in order to get b51 out.

I need Monday 3/2 for testing, then a build Monday night.

So everybody that has access to the code, please update and test.

Specifically:

- movement shows up
- movement in a client window shows up, both by the GM and client, client movement should always show over soft fog
- auras work in all circumstances (Here's a sample Aura light definition 'myaura: aura 50#ff0000')

Thanks guys, I expect testing will go well, or well enough that b51 should be released Monday night.

Thanks for the patience, I believe it will be worth it.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

I noticed one thing and I am not sure if this should or should not be expected:

I have a Macro:

Code: Select all

[H: addToInitiative()]
[H: abort(0)]
/self [token.name] got a [e: token.init=1d20+Initiative]
When I run it in B50, I get this:
Hooded Figure 3 got a « token.init=1d20+Initiative = token.init = (19 + 1) = 20 »

When I run it in B51Dev, I get this:
« token.name = Hooded Figure 3 » got a « token.init=1d20+Initiative = token.init = (6 + 1) = 7 »

[edit] I also noticed this Macro of mine:

Code: Select all

[token.init=1d20+0]
It is reporting this in B50:

It is reporting this in B51:
« token.init=1d20+0 = token.init = (19 + 0) = 19 »

In both cases above, I changed the [] top be {} and it works properly. I guess I will have to edit my 100 or so tokens this build, huh?
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

Mathemagician
Dragon

Post by Mathemagician »

I don't have the dev build, but I think (Craig?) put in a checkbox to make [ ] behave as expanded or as a tool tip.

I would check that out before editing all the macros?

DeviantNull
Dragon

Post by DeviantNull »

Mathemagician wrote:I don't have the dev build, but I think (Craig?) put in a checkbox to make [ ] behave as expanded or as a tool tip.
This is correct. The behavior of plain [] is user selectable now between expanded and tooltips. In the preferences section you can choose to use tooltips for inline roles instead of expanded. If you want it always be masked use [r: ] or if it's always a tooltip use [t: ].

In my case, I used several [""] to blank out if() output which now autoexpands if selected, so I've had to change them to [r: ""]. Also, unfortunately, I won't be using raw [] in my stuff, but only because the stuff that goes into [] is often ugly and hard to read due to eval() so I use [t:] to pretty it up and make it readable.

verisimilar
Giant

Post by verisimilar »

trevor wrote:
verisimilar wrote:I've noticed that if I open up my 1.3.b50 campaign using the current trunk, that it changes the version string in properties.xml, making it so I can no longer open it in 1.3.b50. Changing the version string back to the old version number doesn't fix it.
Hmm, could you be more specific ? the "version" property in the properties.xml always changes, it saves whatever version of MT was used to save the campaign.

For a brief time (a day or so) it was using that value to handle auto update of model objects, but I changed to using a new property.

I also backed out a change that would have made save files _not_ backward compatible, and I've also backed that out.

Please take a moment and update and see if that fixes it for you

-Trev
(I performed an Update right before this test, placing me at rev4874.)

From your reply, it seems as if you're saying that a .cmpgn should be backwards compatible, so I'll base my response on that assumption. I'm still unable to open a .cmpgn saved in the current development build with 1.3.b50.

To be more specific, I've only tested this with a .cmpgn that started its life in 1.3.b50, was then opened and saved in the current development build, and then tried to open in 1.3.b50 again. When attempting to open the .cmpgn in 1.3.b50, the screen dims and shows "Loading Campaign" for a split second, then goes back to displaying the default campaign.

If I misinterpreted your reply, and .cmpgns are not supposed to be backwards compatible, or at least not with the development build, everything looks good. :)
Now known as zEal

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

If you loaded up your b50 campaign in B51Dev last week and then saved it, it is going not going to load anymore, either in B50 or in B51Dev (as of today).

Trevor was working on a different save method last week but then decided to pull it recently (which I totally agree with).

Now, if you never saved this B50 campaign file in B51Dev, it should still work since B51Dev (today) is the same as B50.

I am able to open all my previous campaign files without issue.
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Mathemagician wrote:I don't have the dev build, but I think (Craig?) put in a checkbox to make [ ] behave as expanded or as a tool tip.

I would check that out before editing all the macros?
OK, I just wanted to make sure Craig was aware of it. Thanks for clearing that up - I'll probably end up reconfiguring my macros anyway after all is said and done - to make them more up-to-date friendly. Thanks!

verisimilar
Giant

Post by verisimilar »

I did a little more testing, since you said I shouldn't be having this problem.

I created a brand new .cmpgn in b50 then opened and saved it in b51dev. It opened fine in b50 after that. So the problem I was having was something specific about my .cmpgn. I started to makes changes to this new .cmpgn to see if I could pinpoint which change was causing this incompatibility; it didn't take long.

It seems the problem stems from having changed the Basic token properties list in Campaign Properties > Token Properties.

If you'd like to replicate this finding:
  1. Create a new .cmpgn in b50
  2. Delete all but Strength (Str) in Campaign Properties > Token Properties > Basic
  3. Save the .cmpgn in b50
  4. Open the saved .cmpgn in b51dev
  5. Save the .cmpgn in b51dev
  6. Attempt to open the .cmpgn in b50
Now known as zEal

Craig
Great Wyrm

Post by Craig »

verisimilar wrote:I did a little more testing, since you said I shouldn't be having this problem.

I created a brand new .cmpgn in b50 then opened and saved it in b51dev. It opened fine in b50 after that. So the problem I was having was something specific about my .cmpgn. I started to makes changes to this new .cmpgn to see if I could pinpoint which change was causing this incompatibility; it didn't take long.

It seems the problem stems from having changed the Basic token properties list in Campaign Properties > Token Properties.

If you'd like to replicate this finding:
  1. Create a new .cmpgn in b50
  2. Delete all but Strength (Str) in Campaign Properties > Token Properties > Basic
  3. Save the .cmpgn in b50
  4. Open the saved .cmpgn in b51dev
  5. Save the .cmpgn in b51dev
  6. Attempt to open the .cmpgn in b50
Have you updated to the latest b51dev? I tried the above steps and I was able to open the campaign with out a problem.

verisimilar
Giant

Post by verisimilar »

Craig wrote:Have you updated to the latest b51dev? I tried the above steps and I was able to open the campaign with out a problem.
Yes, this is with rev4874, which is still the newest rev at the time of this post. If you kept b50 open during this process, did you make sure to load a new or different .cmpgn before trying to open it after saving in b51dev? I made that mistake initially.

If it matters:
Windows XP SP3
Java: 1.6.0_11
b50 started using the launcher
b51dev started using Eclipse Run As
Attachments
loadtest_b51dev.cmpgn
Saved in b51dev, unable to open in b50.
(14.1 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
loadtest_b50.cmpgn
Base cmpgn created in b50, with modified Basic token properties.
(13.33 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
Now known as zEal

trevor

Post by trevor »

are you seeing an exception on the console ?

trevor

Post by trevor »

ah, ok, I see the exception now. odd though, since I don't recall touching that, I'll investigate.

Good catch.

trevor

Post by trevor »

ah, right, ok, now I get it.

It has to do with the new auras.

Hmmm.

Tyren
Giant