MT 1.3b51 progress

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Re: MT 1.3b51 progress

Post by trevor »

I think I'll put in a preference for '1.3b50 Compatible Save' and leave it in there for a couple builds until most people migrate up
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

verisimilar
Giant

Post by verisimilar »

trevor wrote:I think I'll put in a preference for '1.3b50 Compatible Save' and leave it in there for a couple builds until most people migrate up
Sounds like a good idea, although I won't personally be using it >.>

I only stumbled upon this because I wanted to make sure that I wouldn't lose any time if I continued to work on some lengthy macros using the new features in b51dev when it finally gets released.
Now known as zEal

trevor

Post by trevor »

couple lines of code, all done.

At least it'll make the transition easier for people. Then pull it out in a build or two.

Mathemagician
Dragon

Post by Mathemagician »

So I just updated to b51, and tried to open a campaign I set up in b50, and I get the same "error" I mentioned earlier: the thumbnail for the campaign displays, then the screen dims and it says loading campaign, it loads suspiciously fast, and then I'm back to the default campaign with 47/82M displayed in the memoryometer.

I'm headed to work now, but I'm using OS X, 2 gigs memory, everything else is "MacBook Default."

I'm not allowed to attach the campaign file (its 3.5 megs), so... here's the link.
http://www.mathemagician.net/TheMap.cmpgn

Thanks for any help.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Interesting. Well, it's definitely a bug. The problem is that your campaign has some drawn lines that don't actually have any points on it. Not sure how that happened.

The empty point lines expose a bug in some optimization code.

I expect people will run into this. So, as sad as I am, I'll make a new build with a fix some time tonight or tmrw (let's see if any other crazy bugs shows up that need immediate fixing).

In the mean time, you can manually fix your campaign.

Open up your campaign file with any zip program and extract content.xml

Do a search for <points/> there are two of them in your campaign

Find the containing line:

<net.rptools.maptool.model.drawing.DrawnElement>

and delete that up to and including the next

</net.rptools.maptool.model.drawing.DrawnElement>

Put the content.xml back into your campaign file, and it will load.

If that's all greek to you, I can send you a fixed campaign.

Mathemagician
Dragon

Post by Mathemagician »

Trevor, you never cease to amaze me! :)

Thanks so much!

trevor

Post by trevor »

Mathemagician wrote:Trevor, you never cease to amaze me! :)
Thanks for the sentiment, but I think I'd _feel_ more amazing if I didn't miss bugs like this in the first place :P

trevor

Post by trevor »

This has been fixed in the code. I'll do a build late tonight

Tyren
Giant

Post by Tyren »

Is it possible to do square auras? So I want to indicate the spaces that a creature with "aura 1" threatens in 4E rules...

EDIT: Nevermind, I just noticed that this worked:
Aura - 1 : aura square 1#ff0000

trevor

Post by trevor »

Tyren wrote:Is it possible to do square auras? So I want to indicate the spaces that a creature with "aura 1" threatens in 4E rules...

EDIT: Nevermind, I just noticed that this worked:
Aura - 1 : aura square 1#ff0000
Beat me to the punch :)

Tyren
Giant

Post by Tyren »

Yeah, except I had to use:
Aura - 1 : aura square 1.5#ff0000

Because it wasn't exact, the extra .5 makes it work right. But I think this is expected in square lights.

Cweord
Great Wyrm

Post by Cweord »

YAY - Conic light again (well ok, it was vision last time)

Just in time for me to get my second monitor tommorow, and do some serious building.

The world is a good place - now I just need to get a clue as to what the new macro commands are, and how I use them (give me a year or so).
Cweord

This message has been spell checked by Freudcheck - any mistakes are purley a figment of your imagination.
-------
My Tokens Directory
http://gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/Cw ... er_Tokens/

Orchard
Great Wyrm

Post by Orchard »

Cweord wrote:YAY - Conic light again (well ok, it was vision last time)

Just in time for me to get my second monitor tommorow, and do some serious building.

The world is a good place - now I just need to get a clue as to what the new macro commands are, and how I use them (give me a year or so).
As I've discovered, if you take a year to learn these commands, there'll be another 10-20 to learn. You have, if you are lucky, perhaps a month. Maybe.

Of course once 1.3 is done, then 1.4 is going to wreck everything we know about this whole process for a while, I suspect. I rather guess that even most of us 'early adopter' types will want to stick with 1.3 for the very early stages of 1.4 until there is something useful to see. But I could be wrong. I'm excited to see what happens.
0+0=1, for very unstable CPUs.

thelevitator
Dragon

Post by thelevitator »

I think I qualify as an old timer. I believe I started with 1.1. The evolution has been jaw dropping, particularly in the last year. As someone who is not a programmer and isn't comfortable with coding, MT has lost me in that area. I've tried, but find myself quickly frustrated. I'm not even sure I'll ever really need a ton of macros with my game, but they would probably be nice for GM's, just to speed things up a bit. Unless I get a ton of help from one of the resident code-pros here, I'm holding off until either 1.3 has some really good documentation, or when 1.4 comes out with whatever new method is going to be used.

That said, even though I don't understand the macros very much, I'm still an active salesman for MT, because I am pretty knowledgeable in things not macro-related. In fact, I just helped a new new user online via Skype with a quick run through and I really enjoyed doing that.

I remember when Dorpond was running a lot of "GM Live" online tutorials. In fact, I participated in a couple of them. What I'd like to see is either a subforum, or a room in our eventual community, for people like me, who like to show people in real time all of the things you can do with MapTools. I would gladly volunteer my time to arrange get togethers with new users to show them the ropes, at least for non-Macro stuff. My hope would be that this catch on, and maybe some of the code-pros host a Macro session that I can jump onto as a student.

The tutorial videos are awesome, and the documentation improves every week. But I know that some people (like me) just learn quicker when they can learn directly from someone else.

As MapTools continues to progress, I think it would be really helpful to have a resource of users that can demonstrate the program to new users. If anything, it would help long-time users like me feel somewhat useful around here. :D
"Neither hexes nor squares can confine me!"

James Anthony
"It's all in your head....."
http://www.spelz.net

Cweord
Great Wyrm

Post by Cweord »

I'll just start bashing away, and keep a bowl under my ear, so I can try and pour my brain back in after it leaks out.
Cweord

This message has been spell checked by Freudcheck - any mistakes are purley a figment of your imagination.
-------
My Tokens Directory
http://gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/Cw ... er_Tokens/

Return to “Developer Notes”