MapTool 1.3 status (as of b54)

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

MapTool 1.3 status (as of b54)

Post by trevor »

I've been seriously contemplating closing out 1.3. b53 seems to be very stable, for the most part. There are some bug fixes that are already finished for b54.

Here are some of my musings:

* I'm concerned about starting a fresh new round of bug fixing of new features and the delay it would incur

* 1.2 is so old it's painful, but new users still use it to "test drive" MT, which is doing it a disservice

* FUMcon is coming up soon (check it out at http://fouruglymonsters.com ) and it would be great to have 1.3 be the "official" release version

* I'm really burned out of only doing bug fixes, and am looking forward to taking off the shackles

* Any feature that has yet to be implemented will still be on the same timeline, it will just be under a different version name. Which should technically be fine because if you are using 1.3 you are probably going to switch to 1.4 anyway :)

In order to facilitate this, I'd be willing to do minor bug fixes to 1.3 and work on 1.4 continues. That is, it won't be like 1.2 where the version was abandoned, fixes could go in and new minor releases can be made.

Anyway, just some things I've been contemplating.

Please feel free to post your thoughts
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Brigand
Read-only User

Re: MapTool 1.3 status (as of b54)

Post by Brigand »

Do you track the statistics of games run using MapTool versions at all? If not, why not? I think that would be very helpful to this discussion. Most of the people that use the forums are always right there on top of the latest versions. Maybe one or two behind.

Having an officially "stable" 1.3 would be nice, but it won't affect me one way or another. I do see the benefits of it for other people and for events like FUMCon.

trevor

Post by trevor »

I don't keep stats on the specific version of MT people are using at present

Brigand
Read-only User

Post by Brigand »

Well, out of 28 servers on the list right now (6pm eastern 3/19/09), only 2 are listed as pre-1.3. The rest show ranges from b45 to b53. Most being b50 and b53. I think most people are using pretty close to the latest version most of the time.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

trevor wrote:I've been seriously contemplating closing out 1.3. b53 seems to be very stable, for the most part. There are some bug fixes that are already finished for b54.

Here are some of my musings:

* I'm concerned about starting a fresh new round of bug fixing of new features and the delay it would incur

* 1.2 is so old it's painful, but new users still use it to "test drive" MT, which is doing it a disservice

* FUMcon is coming up soon (check it out at http://fouruglymonsters.com ) and it would be great to have 1.3 be the "official" release version

* I'm really burned out of only doing bug fixes, and am looking forward to taking off the shackles

* Any feature that has yet to be implemented will still be on the same timeline, it will just be under a different version name. Which should technically be fine because if you are using 1.3 you are probably going to switch to 1.4 anyway :)

In order to facilitate this, I'd be willing to do minor bug fixes to 1.3 and work on 1.4 continues. That is, it won't be like 1.2 where the version was abandoned, fixes could go in and new minor releases can be made.

Anyway, just some things I've been contemplating.

Please feel free to post your thoughts
Why don't we put out b54, see if there are any pressing bugs in the first 5 days or so, and if not branch and make b54 the new trunk for 1.4. If so, then b55 is the end of the line.

I am kind of sad that JS won't get into 1.3, even in a beta level though... :cry:
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

trevor

Post by trevor »

jfrazierjr wrote:
Why don't we put out b54, see if there are any pressing bugs in the first 5 days or so, and if not branch and make b54 the new trunk for 1.4. If so, then b55 is the end of the line.
That's actually exactly what I was thinking ;)
jfrazierjr wrote: I am kind of sad that JS won't get into 1.3, even in a beta level though... :cry:
As mentioned, the versioning will probably be meaningless to you, and the js stuff will still come out on the same time frame (and probably a little sooner since i'm not running around putting fires out, trying not to break anything)

Jector
Great Wyrm

Post by Jector »

trevor wrote: * I'm really burned out of only doing bug fixes, and am looking forward to taking off the shackles
This would be reason enough to go ahead with it, as far as I'm concerned.
Mental sanity, FTW!
I cast firecube! ~4E

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

trevor wrote:
jfrazierjr wrote:
That's actually exactly what I was thinking ;)
jfrazierjr wrote: I am kind of sad that JS won't get into 1.3, even in a beta level though... :cry:
As mentioned, the versioning will probably be meaningless to you, and the js stuff will still come out on the same time frame (and probably a little sooner since i'm not running around putting fires out, trying not to break anything)
Whatever... though there are a few things I would like in the short term future, nothing's so major that I will poo poo the idea. Though... I think you might want to hold off for a bit before b54 release or up go one more version than you though to give Torstan a chance to complete his tileset project, also, what timeframe did you give Devin for the tokens you commissioned? Honestly, I think having those two things in a "release" would be pretty darn critical.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

Well, all the dungeon tiles and lightsources are finished (barring fireplaces and windows) so there's at least a core of tiles that can be used to build any dungeon. I'll do as much as I can to get the oudoor stuff put together this weekend so if we have a timeframe for b55 I can certainly shoot for a final tileset for then.

I say knock 1.3 on the head and roll on 1.4. Can't wait!

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

I think you've done a great job stamping out some of the major bugs in the last several builds. My big concern right now is some optimization and speed, especially when bogging down late in the game (just when things are getting juicy!).

I think the reason that's important is because we're looking at 1.3 to appeal to a broader audience.In all reality, we've probably all been using 1.3 for games since b6... and we'll continue to do that with 1.4...I just worry that someone will go download the latest stable release of MapTool and 2-3 other competitors and I'd just love to see them wowed with how well MapTool runs.

In any event, a 1.3 Final Known Issues link clearly visible would be useful for people to check to see what sort of qwirks/issues exist in the final version if they do decide to keep with 1.3.

I forget the final decision, but will be be moving to java 6 with 1.4?

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

I'm all for it! All that...stuff you said!

In seriousness, I am not a coder or contributor but I think every reason you put up is perfectly valid and alone would be a good reason to make the break. There have been 53 builds of 1.3 now - I think you've demonstrated your commitment amply. ;)

And besides, I want to dig into a new build at the beginning, and see what it lets me do. So I say go forth and do that voodoo.

Mathemagician
Dragon

Post by Mathemagician »

My only problem with going to 1.4, is I thought to myself earlier, "When they make it to 1.4, maybe I'll give my hand at contributing..." and now I don't want to go back on that random resolution I made :P (But my advisor will kill me if I spend time on something like that,hehehe)

Seriously though, I think 1.3 is at a stable enough point without "show stopping" bugs. A final fire fighting call is in order, and let's carry on. : )

Craig
Great Wyrm

Post by Craig »

You have to draw the line somewhere.

I think you should let people kick the tyres of b54 if nothing major is found declare it the stable version branch and move onto 1.4. After all declaring b54 stable doesn't mean you can't apply a patch to it in the future if some critical issue does rear its ugly little head.

I know it may be a little painful for those who were hoping that a feature they wanted would sneak in before 1.3 was finalized but then again I would think that given you don't have to ensure that the first builds of 1.4 are completely stable you are free of the "oh but if I do this what will I break" concerns, which will only lead to a better implementation of these new features. Also the sooner you start 1.4 the sooner that can get to a point where it is stable enough for people to use these new features.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Mathemagician wrote:My only problem with going to 1.4, is I thought to myself earlier, "When they make it to 1.4, maybe I'll give my hand at contributing..." and now I don't want to go back on that random resolution I made

You said it out loud, man. You're committed.

thecyberwolfe
Dragon

Post by thecyberwolfe »

As another non-coder, one of the main reasons I haven't figured out the macro system is because the darn thing keeps changing! I keep putting off learning how to do macros because it seems like every other build some shiny new stuff gets added which changes how everything is done again.

From that standpoint, I'm all for calling b54 (barring any kerplooies) the stable and branching off for 1.4 development.
The Cyberwolfe
----------------
Them: "Name one thing a PC can do that a Mac can't!"
Me: "Right-click."

Return to “Developer Notes”