MapTool 1.3 status (as of b54)

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

jfrazierjr
Deity

Re: MapTool 1.3 status (as of b54)

Post by jfrazierjr »

biodude wrote: Would it be possible to restrict contributions in one area for a particular build, fix some bugs, then add new material in another area? The main reason I suggest this is to avoid the problem of "I really want to use new feature X, but bugs in feature Y are prohibitive". I'm not a contributor, so I have no idea how feasible this is - just a thought.
On issue with that approach is that Trevor is the only one who really knows all of the code, and quite a lot of it is (especially the stuff dealing with VBL, light, vision, etc). Combine that with the fact the some of the contributors are not full time java coders(myself for example), so it take a bit of time to figure out what's going on in many parts of the code. So yea... you can say, only fix bugs here, but I think that would be doing the project and the community a great disservice by doing so.

In the end, an open source project should not restrict contributors in the area they wish to work on based on their skill level (though I have no problem with Trevor saying "no, don't do that because I have some major plans in that section in the near future and what your going to do will be replaced real soon"). I have had a few things I thought might be easy, but after talking to Trevor he noted they were fairly complex and offered a few alternative smallish code patches I could do that he would like done but did not have time to get to. This also helps new people get involved with the code without overwhelming and getting confused and giving up.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

God Returns
Cave Troll

Post by God Returns »

After spending a few weeks (2 I think?) surfing about this forum, I'm starting to really consider teaching myself Java just to contribute to this program. Of course, it would take several weeks, possibly a few months, to learn enough to even begin helping out at all, but it's something I think I would like to do. After all, it's the least I could do to help out after all the fantastic work you guys've put into this project.

THIS IS ME SAYING THANKS (again) AND MAYBE WANTING TO HELP OUT WITHIN THE YEAR.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

pmbruner wrote: A Hero Designer export template that will create your tokenname.rptok file complete with macros!!! All you will have to do is drag and drop the exported token into MT, double click it and give it the picture/token art you desire, and voila instant complex charatcer token with full Hero automated MT functionality :D
That would be dead sexy!
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Mrugnak
Dragon

Post by Mrugnak »

trevor wrote:
pmbruner wrote: A Hero Designer export template that will create your tokenname.rptok file complete with macros!!! All you will have to do is drag and drop the exported token into MT, double click it and give it the picture/token art you desire, and voila instant complex charatcer token with full Hero automated MT functionality :D
That would be dead sexy!
So far GCA does not speak the ZIP format, but I'm working on producing an XML export for GURPS that will work with Gioppo's token import patch, which I hope will appear any version now :D

If the patch doesn't make it to live, I'll see if I can talk him into making a stand alone java applet for it. :)

SpaceShot
Kobold

Post by SpaceShot »

I actually do want to start helping on this. I am a C# programmer, but I feel this would be a good way to learn java. I've been coding a very long time and am not really afraid of learning new environments.

I'd like to figure out the best way to set up my environment. Remember, I am coming from MSFT land. Do most of the folks use Eclipse or a different IDE?

I am familiar with subversion and have used it, but am not really an svn pro. I do plan to get the source down with TortoiseSVN.

I'm really sorry if I am posting in the wrong place. All I have right now is code... haven't installed an IDE or the Java SDK yet. Any suggestions on this are more than welcome.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

SpaceShot wrote:I actually do want to start helping on this. I am a C# programmer, but I feel this would be a good way to learn java. I've been coding a very long time and am not really afraid of learning new environments.

I'd like to figure out the best way to set up my environment. Remember, I am coming from MSFT land. Do most of the folks use Eclipse or a different IDE?

I am familiar with subversion and have used it, but am not really an svn pro. I do plan to get the source down with TortoiseSVN.

I'm really sorry if I am posting in the wrong place. All I have right now is code... haven't installed an IDE or the Java SDK yet. Any suggestions on this are more than welcome.
Wrong place, but thats fine since the discussion really won't be ongoing. Most people(including Trevor) use Eclipse. If you look in the "general discussion" forum, there is a sticky on setting up eclipse. Note that some changes were made to later posts, so you may need to read the whole thread. I would just get the SVN plug in for Eclipse instead of having a separate one. Note that you can only have read access to the SVN server, so when you do a patch, you would need to right click on the project and select Team->Create Patch, save to a file, and sent the file to "[email protected]" with a short description of the patch. Also, check the Developer forums as Trevor would prefer to know what people are working in case he has some advice or a particular implementation in mind so you don't end up wasting a bunch of your time.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Welcome spaceshot, jfrazierjr has it right on ;)
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

Mrugnak wrote:
trevor wrote:
That would be dead sexy!
So far GCA does not speak the ZIP format, but I'm working on producing an XML export for GURPS that will work with Gioppo's token import patch, which I hope will appear any version now :D

If the patch doesn't make it to live, I'll see if I can talk him into making a stand alone java applet for it. :)
I'll be the one making the Export Format for HeroDesigner so I am definitely interested in whatever info you have to share Mrugnak. I have not yet started as I am waiting for things to get stable and I have some personal priorities that I have deal with. I haven't explored the final stages yet with the zipping and the MD5 of the image, but like you, I'll be creating all the XML straight from HeroDesigner (it is a Java application as well, and stores all its data in XML) so the steps to get it from XML to rptok will be very beneficial. Feel free to contact me via PM if you have stuff to share or point me to a thread if you start one.
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me.

ImageImage

Azinctus
Giant

Post by Azinctus »

I'm a new user of Map Tool. I started out with 1.2 two or three months ago and then switched to the development versions and I've kept up with the latest versions. My group and I play weekly.

I think a a fixed and stable 1.3 ought to mean a little more than stamping a development version "finished" and moving on. 1.3 will be the base for a lot of work on tutorials and documentation. A basis for sharing campaigns and macros.

1.4.1 is going to be full of mad new ideas (Java macro things seem to in this category). Seeing through VBL, new graphics and new Trevor stuff. I don't want to download 1.4.1 or 1.4.10 for that matter. But I will if some basic features aren't included in 1.3.

Those features have already been mentioned in this thread: a way for the GM to see the map as a particular player sees it, conic vision, blocky vision. 1.3 should be playable and feel complete. There is not much point writing a detailed documentation of vision for 1.3 if it isn't complete.

I know Trevor is itching to take the gloves off but can we just have some tidying up and an injection of specific gaming support for the coolest part of Map Tool, the part that revolutionises roleplaying: Vision.

Then after a few more bug stomping builds, you can stamp "finished" on a product that gets used, that gets all the document support it needs and that you can really be proud of.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Azinctus wrote:Those features have already been mentioned in this thread: a way for the GM to see the map as a particular player sees it, conic vision, blocky vision. 1.3 should be playable and feel complete. There is not much point writing a detailed documentation of vision for 1.3 if it isn't complete..
If your lucky, you will see square and conic vision before 1.3 goes final. I have sent Trevor a patch and have a few others things I want to tweak. Unless Trevor takes over and makes the change(I doubt), you will not see blocky vision or light though. Unfortuntaly, there is one little issue with the conic vision not revealing during facing(ie, you have to move) changes that I need Trevor's help on and hopefully, once that gets resolved, I hope Trevor will put the square/conic vision patches in.

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

is conic blocky supported by your patch, jfrazierjr? or conic auras (i.e. blasts in 4E)

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Hawke wrote:is conic blocky supported by your patch, jfrazierjr? or conic auras (i.e. blasts in 4E)
I added square vision and true conic vision and sent that to Trevor. Mgrunak(sp??) took my patch and added offset so the cone was not centered on facing if that parameter is present. I have a few clean up items I want to do in the code that parses out the campaign properties and resend the whole thing back to Trevor for inclusion in 1.3. But, as I said, currently the reveal does not happen with facing changes, so I hope Trevor can help me fix that.

At present, there is and will not be any form of blocky( blocky circle or blocky cone) stuff in the patches I send to Trevor, so unless he adds it or tells me how to do so easily(I don't mind, I just am not going to bang my head with the maths). Likewise, Aura's are made of light, and as such are not part of my changes to vision.

Mrugnak
Dragon

Post by Mrugnak »

jfrazierjr wrote:I added square vision and true conic vision and sent that to Trevor. Mgrunak(sp??) took my patch and added offset so the cone was not centered on facing if that parameter is present.
If it's help, think "Tasty carpet! Mmmm. Rugs..." That, and he's got a knack for smashing things. See, it's easy!

I confess, I got his name out of a random name generator. But then I played the character for 15 years and it stuck.

palmer
Great Wyrm

Post by palmer »

Mrugnak wrote:think "Tasty carpet! Mmmm. Rugs..."
I'm getting an image in my head that is entirely NOT what you were intending...

But with your mnemonic... his name is "Mmmm, rug snack!"

Mrugnak
Dragon

Post by Mrugnak »

palmer wrote:I'm getting an image in my head that is entirely NOT what you were intending...
I am aware that there is a certain interpretation one can take, but I think the extra meaning just makes it easier to remember. Even if you giggle while doing so. :D

Return to “Developer Notes”