MapTool 1.1 Build 25 Progress

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

It appears to be in some way related to token "size". Just tried a new test with 148 smaller tokens (both X/Y and file size) and it just managed to make the transfer without maxing out the memory (256MB) on the server.

The other test maxed out the server with Xmx set to 512MB but the tokens were 4x the size.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Curious. I got the campaign you sent, I'll look at it tonight.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

I guess you could compare his with the campaign I sent you today also Trevor. Mine all has images sized to a grid of 40 so they are not overly large. I have probably around 300 images now and I am still running at 40-50 or so Meg when idle.

It might give you a benchmark to compare it against anyway since Phergus and I plan on using many images.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

I have a suspicion that it's related to a bug I found last night where token images were being constantly requested on each client pan of the map until the image actually arrived. I'm going to run his campaign through my fix tonight and see if that got it (finally).
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Certainly sounds like a possibility.

On my second test, I dropped all the tokens in one stack in the center of the GM client without moving the map. The thought here being that I wouldn't need to pan the Player client when it connected to see the tokens.

Which worked but the memory usage still went up to near fatal levels.

I wonder if it is because they were stacked on top of each other? As each one popped in, some refresh function saw all the missing tokens above/below it and requested them again.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

I am glad you guys are investigating this. My original hope was to have campaigns at a grid 80 setting with a couple hundred images but with my failed tests over the last several versions, I just thought it was too much overhead.

By the way it sounds though Phergus, you might be on to something and Trevor, you may be on your way to removing a huge road block.

Good luck on all this and thanks for the dedicated testing Phergus!

Return to “Developer Notes”