How do I package up a fix?

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Azhrei
Site Admin

How do I package up a fix?

Post by Azhrei »

I was working on a bug report that dorpond posted and it seems that a few sections of code will need to be changed. The sections I'm referring to have already had some work done on them for the next step in their evolution. :)

My question: since source code A has a bunch of changes for Feature 1 (but they aren't done yet), how should I go about producing a patch that doesn't include those changes?

In a typical environment, I would check my changes into a branch and then use Synchronize With Repository to bring my working set in alignment with the released code. But I don't have a branch area that I can check code into. :(

My first idea was to just zip up the entire Eclipse workspace, synchronize, fix the bug, then delete the workspace and restore from the zip. Another choice is to create a patchset based on what I have now and store it somewhere safe, then synchronize, fix the bug, and re-apply the patchset again.

Any suggestions from those with more experience than I? Thanks. :)

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Re: How do I package up a fix?

Post by trevor »

Azhrei wrote:Another choice is to create a patchset based on what I have now and store it somewhere safe, then synchronize, fix the bug, and re-apply the patchset again.
This is what I do
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Yeah, fix that bug Az! It drives my friends nuts! LOL
*cracks whip*
:) :lol:

Kidding aside, let me know when I can sync and test it. I will be happy to test, test, test!
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

I sent Trevor an "emergency patch" last night. I think it fixes it, but I need time to do some thorough testing...

Orchard
Great Wyrm

Post by Orchard »

Azhrei wrote:I sent Trevor an "emergency patch" last night. I think it fixes it, but I need time to do some thorough testing...

What? We test things here? I thought we were on the Microsoft model of development. Or maybe the EA games model. You know...build and burn? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

jk....you guys are awesome!
0+0=1, for very unstable CPUs.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Orchard wrote: What? We test things here? I thought we were on the Microsoft model of development. Or maybe the EA games model. You know...build and burn? :twisted:
In fact, the community is the testing/QA department :)

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Orchard wrote:
Azhrei wrote:I sent Trevor an "emergency patch" last night. I think it fixes it, but I need time to do some thorough testing...
What? We test things here? I thought we were on the Microsoft model of development.
Hey, there's no reason to insult me! :mrgreen:

Seriously, I just meant that I did some very minor "double-click-this-and-look-at-that" and it seemed okay, but I didn't try all of the various option combinations and such.

Orchard
Great Wyrm

Post by Orchard »

Azhrei wrote:
Orchard wrote:
What? We test things here? I thought we were on the Microsoft model of development.
Hey, there's no reason to insult me! :mrgreen:

Seriously, I just meant that I did some very minor "double-click-this-and-look-at-that" and it seemed okay, but I didn't try all of the various option combinations and such.

No insult to the folks here meant, in all seriousness...

...but it DOES seem like that is the Microsoft way. Y'know--write a bunch of code, do a once over to make sure it looks like it will build, tweak it until it actually builds, then tweak it until it runs, then BAM! You have a release candidate. Bugs are dealt with only by hotfixes after retail fix. If that doesn't sound like EA games or MS to you, then you haven't really been paying that much attention. I'd seriously hate to be a developer there...and I don't even program!
0+0=1, for very unstable CPUs.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Orchard wrote: ...but it DOES seem like that is the Microsoft way. Y'know--write a bunch of code, do a once over to make sure it looks like it will build, tweak it until it actually builds, then tweak it until it runs, then BAM! You have a release candidate.
As much fun as it is to bash MS, I have to admit that I have a lot of respect for how well things actually _do_ run. It could be a lot worse. And it gets consistently better.

I would guess that per line of code, MT has _far_ more bugs than MS.

Just saying ;)

Return to “Developer Notes”