MapTool 1.3b55 progress

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

jfrazierjr
Deity

Re: MapTool 1.3b55 progress

Post by jfrazierjr »

Hawke wrote:Was/is anybody working on auras to project forward & square? i.e. 4E blasts?
I chatted with Trevor briefly tonight and he mentioned something about working on the light area, but he did not provide any specifics on what he was working on.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

You should be able to shape auras, they are defined exactly the way other lights are, am I missing something ?
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Hawke wrote:Was/is anybody working on auras to project forward & square? i.e. 4E blasts?
I have never heard of a 4th edition aura that projects off the side of a token and followes the token. If you are looking for blast and burst power templates, they are located where the other spell templates are.

All auras that I know of in 4th edition are equadistant around the token. Are there other auras that I am unaware of Hawke?
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

zEal
Dragon

Post by zEal »

dorpond wrote:
I have never heard of a 4th edition aura that projects off the side of a token and followes the token. If you are looking for blast and burst power templates, they are located where the other spell templates are.

All auras that I know of in 4th edition are equadistant around the token. Are there other auras that I am unaware of Hawke?
No you're right, auras project equidistant; "Aura: An aura is a continuous effect that affects all squares within the listed range of the originating creature’s space."(MM280) It sounds like he was hoping to use the MapTool aura system to emulate blasts as shown on PHB272.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

trevor wrote:You should be able to shape auras, they are defined exactly the way other lights are, am I missing something ?
To clarify, I believe his intent was something like the spell templates as Dorpond noted. I think he was looking to see if Aura's could have a non center origination point and/or original somewhere other than the center of the player token.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

dorpond is correct on his definition of 4E auras.

I was looking to emulate the template styles using auras. They're easier for my players to toggle and unlike the spell templates they don't seem to have any sort of slowdown effect if you use a lot of them... we're using auras for burst spell templates as it is so it'd be neat to use blasts, too. Not expecting anything, but figured I'd ask about it while the hood was open =)

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

DJuego wrote:
jfrazierjr wrote:Trevor, I am going to be doing some clean up of the vision stuff tonight when I get home and will send you another patch. I still have not figured out a way to get the facing change event to reveal FOW though, and the ideas you IMed me did not seem to work.
Thank you very much for your efforts, jfrazierjr ( :wink: )!!

EDIT-1: I have 'tested' the Conic Vision SVN version a seconds ago and I love it! Great!! Fantastic!!!

However, I missed the static instruction text.

Name: options
circle, square, cone arc=#
x# - ...
r# - ...

EDIT-2: Ups! Set facing with conic vision works!! ( :P ) Perhaps Trevor has resolved it. True? Or I have not understood the caveat.

DJuego
Ok.. update to this. The last patch I sent to Trevor was submitted. This includes 3 shape types, cone|circle|square with circle being the default.
cone takes 2 optional arguments:
arc=x
offset=y

Where arc defaults to 90 degrees and offset defaults to 0. When changing offset, you can provide a positive or negative integer. A positive offset will change the direction counterclock wise a negative will go clockwise. Note, the offset MOVES the current arc relative to facing, so you will need to manually modify the arc if you still want to the same relative vision angles as. Generally, I expect that if a token has an arc of 90 and then his "right eye" gets damaged, you would need to set the offset to 45 (half of the original) and set the arc to 45 (again, half the original to maintain the same angle with the offset.

Note, the patch that Trevor put in last night does NOT contain the autoreveal "fix" on facing change that I found last night, so unless another patch comes before release, you have to move/jiggle the token to get reveal to happen. Trevor sent me an email about this and I scanned it quickly this AM, but won't have time to read until I get home, but I think my initial idea for the reveal is not in the correct place in the code, so will have to make some tweaks. I know he is doing some other things in the vision/light rendering code, so it might wait until he finishes his stuff to before it gets fixed(or he may just put the one or two lines in where they need to go himself).

The Campaign properties form has been modified with the new options detailed as well as some new sight types defaults(I sent him a patch with and without the new defaults and he choose to include the patch version with the new defaults).

Finally, a new option has been added to the Vision for distance=x, which takes a decimal. And yes, this means you can now set vision range. One thing to note, setting vision distance to 0 defaults to the map vision distance, which defaults to 1000. Although I have not tried it, I expect that those who use macros can set up a blinded state and use setSightType() to actually blind the character and their vision range will be shortened. Hmmm I just tested this and it seems that the setSightType() function DOES refresh vision, so you can macro away....

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

jfrazierjr could you send me the patch with your tweak, I'll see if it's in the right place
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Mrugnak
Dragon

Post by Mrugnak »

jfrazierjr wrote:Finally, a new option has been added to the Vision for distance=x, which takes a decimal. And yes, this means you can now set vision range. One thing to note, setting vision distance to 0 defaults to the map vision distance, which defaults to 1000.
So this is different from the dark vision range, I gather.

It's basically just overriding the map vision distance with a character-specific setting? Is it capped by the map vision at all, or does it completely override map vision?

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

I've a vision noob so please excused the fact I don't have maptool in front of me.

Can you define one vision that is conic for distance and the another circular that is closer for combat situations?
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Playing with the latest DevB55 as of 3 hours ago, I notice that all my Macros with /GM at the top of them no longer output anything usable on the GM side.

When a player runs then, the GM gets something like this:
Bill says to the GM: macro

Craig, I know you modified the code so that users can whisper the GM easier, do I need to change all my macros or is this a bug? I would hope it would be the latter, mainly so B55 is backwards compatible with older campaign files.

[EDIT: Nevermind. Craig already sent a patch to Trevor that fixes this]
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Post by Amaril »

Edit: Never mind
Last edited by Amaril on Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kristian

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Mrugnak wrote:
jfrazierjr wrote:Finally, a new option has been added to the Vision for distance=x, which takes a decimal. And yes, this means you can now set vision range. One thing to note, setting vision distance to 0 defaults to the map vision distance, which defaults to 1000.
So this is different from the dark vision range, I gather.

It's basically just overriding the map vision distance with a character-specific setting? Is it capped by the map vision at all, or does it completely override map vision?
The value of the selected Vision from the campaign properties takes precedence in all cases (except if that value =0), and yes it is different than Darkvision, it provides no light at all.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

RPTroll wrote:I've a vision noob so please excused the fact I don't have maptool in front of me.

Can you define one vision that is conic for distance and the another circular that is closer for combat situations?
Not sure I understand, but yes, within the confines of the player only having a single vision type active at a time, you could make them with different ranges and shapes and use them uniformly by changing the vision type on the Token Edit window (or via macro).

This enables you to have a character with a normal vision of so 180 angle and then have a second one where he puts on a helmet and it limits his angle to say 30 degrees. You just have to change the token's vision and poof, it limits his exposed area of view.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

I guess the real question was whether you can have two visions active at once. The answer is no?
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Return to “Developer Notes”