MapTool 1.3b55 progress

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

jfrazierjr
Deity

Re: MapTool 1.3b55 progress

Post by jfrazierjr »

RPTroll wrote:I guess the real question was whether you can have two visions active at once. The answer is no?
The answer is no...Perhaps in 1.4 a token have more than one vision. What exactly are you trying to accomplish as I really did not understand your original scenario?
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Scenario:
A token is tootling through a dungeon with conic vision on set at 180. So the player sees pretty much what the token sees. During combat, I don't want the player having to fiddle with facing constantly to see what's around him so I thought having a shorter circular vision range of around 3 to 5 squares would be appropriate for 'situational awareness'. Also, in the old days we use to face a mini backwards to denote it was his job to watch the back of the party. This is going to cut off view of the party which the player should be aware of due to other sense like hearing (or smell in the case of a dwarven party members.)

Yes, I know the player has only to rotate a bit but I thought I would save them the effort.

In the case of Savage worlds the "Bad Eyes" hindrance can be simulated by cutting the arc (in the case of a one-eyed character) or cutting the distance, in the case of bad vision.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

RPTroll wrote:Scenario:
A token is tootling through a dungeon with conic vision on set at 180. So the player sees pretty much what the token sees. During combat, I don't want the player having to fiddle with facing constantly to see what's around him so I thought having a shorter circular vision range of around 3 to 5 squares would be appropriate for 'situational awareness'. Also, in the old days we use to face a mini backwards to denote it was his job to watch the back of the party. This is going to cut off view of the party which the player should be aware of due to other sense like hearing (or smell in the case of a dwarven party members.)

Yes, I know the player has only to rotate a bit but I thought I would save them the effort.

In the case of Savage worlds the "Bad Eyes" hindrance can be simulated by cutting the arc (in the case of a one-eyed character) or cutting the distance, in the case of bad vision.
For the first example, just set up a circle vision type and swap them out during combat and back to conic after combat ends and the exploration part starts again. Call one combat vision and do a macro that toggles it on and off or perhaps using a token property with a JSON object to represent the various visions the token has and switch with a macro???

I got nothing for the second one though...

I have thought for quite a while that multiple visions would be nice, but frankly, this late into 1.3 I don't want to deal with that and Trevor probably would not let me anyway. I can see something like a minotaur blundering through a dungeon with two conic visions set offset so that he can see a wide field on his left and right, but can't see the 10 degrees or so straight in front of him (or has limited range of vision for direct facing). Ditto helm wearing guy...

Besides, that would require modifying the Toke properties form and I HATE dealing with UI if I can avoid it.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

RPTroll wrote: Yes, I know the player has only to rotate a bit but I thought I would save them the effort.
Playing devils advocate here: whats the point of playing with conic vision if your just going to cheat when it's convenient? :P

Or course, I don't care because I doubt I will ever play with conic light unless I happen to get into a one shot where the game system does that and the GM decides to follow the rules....

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

jfrazierjr wrote:Besides, that would require modifying the Token properties form and I HATE dealing with UI if I can avoid it.
Amen. Ok. I think I like that solution. Well, maybe better said I can accept that solution and give the players a macro button to change back and forth. Now I need a token property for allowable vision types. :-)

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

jfrazierjr wrote:
RPTroll wrote: Yes, I know the player has only to rotate a bit but I thought I would save them the effort.
Playing devils advocate here: whats the point of playing with conic vision if your just going to cheat when it's convenient? :P
Cuz I think its cool and I want to use it.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

RPTroll wrote:
jfrazierjr wrote:
Cuz I think its cool and I want to use it.
Well, thanks to me, you can once b55 comes out! Yea me!!!

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

RPTroll wrote:Cuz I think its cool and I want to use it.
Excellent reason!

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Post by Amaril »

jfrazierjr wrote:

Or course, I don't care because I doubt I will ever play with conic light unless I happen to get into a one shot where the game system does that and the GM decides to follow the rules....
Personally, I dislike facing and conic vision during combat. To me, combat in an RPG is an abstraction. I consider all actions to be simultaneous and sequential depending on the circumstances. I also consider combatants to be moving around in their locations, not just standing still at a center point in a square facing only one direction.
Kristian

Jector
Great Wyrm

Post by Jector »

It's kind of nice to be able to sneak someone up on a group when they are distracted. And realistic, too.
I cast firecube! ~4E

Return to “Developer Notes”