MapTool 1.1 Release Candidate progress/process

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

trevor wrote:Unfortunately, 1.1 is in bug fix status only right now. That way we'll actually be able to release it :)

But now that I know it's of value to you, I can prioritize it high for the 1.2 dev cycle.

For the ftp issue, I can make the textfield into a drop down that you can type your own values in, and it will remember them, sorta like on your browser address bar.
Cool.

Although, the FTP information probably won't be saved on the player side, will it. So I'll have to keep typing it in for exporting player views.
Steel Rat
-----------
RPGMapShare.com - RPG Maps and Mapping objects.
Discord Server

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

trevor wrote: So, I rewrote it tonight. The surprising thing is that it's now much simpler in design and takes about 1/2 the lines of code. The downside is that it's a tad slower to render when panning around (no speed difference when not moving the map). So I'm in the process of profiling and tuning it a bit.
One of the coolest side affects of the drawable update is that it draws at the current scale. The old way would render the drawables at 1:1 to an image, then scale that image to the current scale. This made it impossible to do antialiasing, and made the drawables look like crap when zooming in or particularly out. With the new drawable renderer, it's smooooooooooooth at and antialiased at all scale levels.

Neat !
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Cool! I can't wait to check it out!

Although I have to admit, I am a little worried about what you said about slowness during map panning since speed in that area was one of the really cool things we had over other VT's.

I can't wait to test! :)

trevor

Post by trevor »

It's not that it's slow, just slower than the old method. And the good news is that there's lots of room for optimization. But got to get the base case working and stable first :)

trevor

Post by trevor »

UPDATE:

I've been making some fine tuning since RC1 was released, I plan to release RC2 tonight (Thursday, 11/30) that should be nearly the final version, let it stew for a week to see if anything critical bugs come up.

trevor

Post by trevor »

UPDATE:

I've finished the code, now I'm just polishing up the UI. Expect the 1.1 code base to be tagged and packaged some time this weekend, then officially announced early next week.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Ah yes, the excitement for 1.2 is building within...
I feel like a kid waiting for X-mas to arrive! :)

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

Me too, now when will I get my charactersheets, dynamic fog, etc :wink:
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

trevor

Post by trevor »

snikle wrote:Me too, now when will I get my charactersheets, dynamic fog, etc :wink:
soon .... soon ... soooooooooooon :)

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

trevor wrote:
snikle wrote:Me too, now when will I get my charactersheets, dynamic fog, etc :wink:
soon .... soon ... soooooooooooon :)
Yah!..... what I want for christmas... :D 8)
Game On!

Dalna
Dragon

Post by Dalna »

Dynamic Fog of war will be a nice feature...but that also means we need restriction of movement if we do. I kinda like the Idea of a way to center on a token and have a radius fog of war revealed or templete revealing according to the lighting type of the character...This way the GM has a way to control it also...sometimes you dont want to reveal too much...if it was automatic then the players could easily move too far or something and there goes any "Surprises"

trevor

Post by trevor »

Dalna wrote:.sometimes you dont want to reveal too much...if it was automatic then the players could easily move too far or something and there goes any "Surprises"
Exactly. It's a hard problem, which is why we don't support it yet. There's been lots of discussion on how to do it, and we'll let you guys help guide the development so that we get a working solution.

Kershek
Cave Troll

Post by Kershek »

I think an easy way to handle that is to let the user move, and then have the DM approve the move, at which time the reveal happens. This could be done any number of times on a character's turn.

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

Kershek wrote:I think an easy way to handle that is to let the user move, and then have the DM approve the move, at which time the reveal happens. This could be done any number of times on a character's turn.
Have a hot key for this, to speed things along. Could be tied into the "controlled" movement, where the GM turns on movement (perhaps via Init Tool), player moves, GM approves, then next player is "hilighted" for movement...
Game On!

Dalna
Dragon

Post by Dalna »

I do like that idea...but also realize it will not be the same reveal with all people...if you consider each person can see different distances ect. I mean if we are shooting for the moon it might be cool to have all the visions covered....but that is even more work. Also if theiy are using like a bullseye lantern the revealed area would be alot different then a torch.

Return to “Developer Notes”