MapTool 1.1 Release Candidate progress/process

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Just finished the new New Map dialog. I think it'll take some UI work, but overall I like it, and it integrates the Image Explorer popup menu too, so Hexes are now available with that path.

Now I'll get as many bug fixes as I can in over the weekend, and make a Release Candidate build on Monday.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Trevor wrote:Just finished the new New Map dialog. I think it'll take some UI work, but overall I like it, and it integrates the Image Explorer popup menu too, so Hexes are now available with that path.
That's very cool!

Will this include the ability to get Quick Maps with hexes?

trevor

Post by trevor »

Phergus wrote:
Trevor wrote:Just finished the new New Map dialog. I think it'll take some UI work, but overall I like it, and it integrates the Image Explorer popup menu too, so Hexes are now available with that path.
That's very cool!

Will this include the ability to get Quick Maps with hexes?
I was thinking about that last night. There are a couple options:

1) Edit->Quick Map->Texture brings up the New Map dialog with that quickmap texture selected
2) Put a Quick Map texture selection on the New Map dialog
3) Have Edit->QuickMap->Texture use the settings from the last New Map (Settings will be stored)

Which do you think would be best ?

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

My original though was along the lines of #2 but I think #3 would also be nice as most Quick Maps will end up with the same grid type.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Phergus wrote:My original though was along the lines of #2 but I think #3 would also be nice as most Quick Maps will end up with the same grid type.
I'll put in a system preference: Default Grid Type, quickmaps will use that parameter. We'll see how that goes.

trevor

Post by trevor »

trevor wrote:
Phergus wrote:My original though was along the lines of #2 but I think #3 would also be nice as most Quick Maps will end up with the same grid type.
I'll put in a system preference: Default Grid Type, quickmaps will use that parameter. We'll see how that goes.
This is done and will be in 1.1b32

lichking
Cave Troll

Post by lichking »

Congratulations Trevor, you have reached 3000 posts.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is a malevalent DM.

brisingre
Dragon

Post by brisingre »

Impressive. I have like 300 I think.
Chaotic Neutral means never having to say you're sorry.

brisingre
Dragon

Post by brisingre »

This makes 322.
Chaotic Neutral means never having to say you're sorry.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

trevor wrote:
trevor wrote:
This is done and will be in 1.1b32
I like it!

trevor

Post by trevor »

lichking wrote:Congratulations Trevor, you have reached 3000 posts.
What can I say ... I'm addicted to interacting with you all ! :)

trevor

Post by trevor »

Got some good work done over the weekend. However enough code changed that I don't feel comfortable going into RC status without giving you guys a change to bang on it first.

I will do a build late tonight (11/20) and let you guys bang on it for a couple days. I'll make tweaks as you find them, then go into RC status on Friday.

trevor

Post by trevor »

UPDATE:

The zoom out level was recently increased such that you can zoom out something fierce. Well, that magnified a weakness in the drawing rendering optimization that's been around since the beginning.

Bummer.

So, I rewrote it tonight. The surprising thing is that it's now much simpler in design and takes about 1/2 the lines of code. The downside is that it's a tad slower to render when panning around (no speed difference when not moving the map). So I'm in the process of profiling and tuning it a bit.

I'm still planning for a Release Candidate release late Sunday. Then you guys will have to bang on this new drawing renderer, make sure it doesn't break :)

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

I haven't been keeping up with all teh updates, so please forgive if this has been asked before.

Will the release version have the GM View and Player View options in the Export Screenshot dialog?

Having to open a player instance is becoming a pain, lol.

Also, for the future, how about an option to enter default FTP info for Maptool in general, so I don't have to re-enter it for each new campaign file. Or, expanding upon that. I run several different genres of games, so the GM persona might be different between them. Would be nice if I could setup different GM profiles which might have different defaults, such as different explorer paths, different FTP info, default FTP filename, GM Name, Game name, etc.
Steel Rat
-----------
RPGMapShare.com - RPG Maps and Mapping objects.
Discord Server

trevor

Post by trevor »

Unfortunately, 1.1 is in bug fix status only right now. That way we'll actually be able to release it :)

But now that I know it's of value to you, I can prioritize it high for the 1.2 dev cycle.

For the ftp issue, I can make the textfield into a drop down that you can type your own values in, and it will remember them, sorta like on your browser address bar.

Return to “Developer Notes”