Custom Character tokens

Threads specific to teaching (or step-by-step resources) for making any kind of graphic image for us in RPtools applications (mostly MapTool and TokenTool).

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Arimmus
Cave Troll

Custom Character tokens

Post by Arimmus »

If anyone is interested in custom top down character tokens I have daz3d 4 with many different Figures, shapes poses arms and equipment. Right now I can only do the following figure types so please bear with me until I get more stuff.

Fantasy ONLY: Dwarves, Elves, Humans, Lizardfolk, Snake people, Spider people, Goblins, Orcs, Trolls, Ogres, halflings, gnomes, goblins, and a select few more I can't recall at this time. All are able to come in a variety of height, shapes (Skinny to morbidly obese) and ages (Infant to adult) Skin tone does not matter either. If you have a picture it is preferred as to get the correct pose and look to the figure, I will try to match outfits as close as I can. I am in no way shape or form a professional thus why I do it for free. I will try to get them back to you within a week but no more than that. Also I am limited in the special effects category (Such as fire effects and the like as I am not very good, not horrid) with photo shop. Here are a few to show you what I can do.
Female Human Mage
Female Human Mage
Girl mage.png (232.86 KiB) Viewed 10405 times
NPC Character Dwarven Monk
NPC Character Dwarven Monk
badlad top 1.png (98.96 KiB) Viewed 10405 times

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: Custom Character tokens

Post by Azhrei »

Cool. Me'thinks you're going to be swamped with requests. ;)

Arimmus
Cave Troll

Post by Arimmus »

Probably, Depending on how crazy it gets, I may limit it. All my work will be uploaded to Deviant-art or some gallery type website before they are sent out. Some other artist I know says they did stuff like this before and people started to sell her work as theirs. Not that I don't trust you all :p. And To add a bit of spice to those maptools coders out there, any help with frameworks gets your request boosted to the top. I can be bribed with code after all :p

Vhex
Giant

Post by Vhex »

Can you do pixies? I have a pixie cavalier I'm going to be running on Friday. I pulled a model from EQ2, but it's hard as heck to get a good looking top-down model from that.

Arimmus
Cave Troll

Post by Arimmus »

Is this just a small pixie? Or large? any type of armor it must be wearing? This is just to show you what it *may* look like but hope this gives you some ideas on what you want done with it. Also Male Female? Ill show a picture of both ( note these have no textures, just wings and the like and basic shapes to give you an idea of what I can do) Let me know about Armor, what kind of Pose you desire, so on and so forth.
Female Pixie.png
Female Pixie.png (116.51 KiB) Viewed 10323 times
Male Pixie.png
Male Pixie.png (122.25 KiB) Viewed 10323 times

Vhex
Giant

Post by Vhex »

Neat! He's a tiny male pixie. (7" tall). He wields a heavy shield and a lance, both made of wood. The weapons and armor are his size, but he rides a full sized Celestial Steed (snowflake!). Occasionally he also rides a full sized obsidian horse. His armor is similar to plate armor, but it's made from the hard shell of a desert animal (mekillot).

His hair is dark blue and his wings are green. Beyond that I hadn't really put much thought into his appearance. My thinking was to get a good overhead picture and then I could place that in different places on some horse tokens to show where he's riding.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Only 7" tall?

Perhaps he should be riding a stirge instead. ;)

(I presume he uses a steed for the movement rate? But really -- a full-sized horse for a 7" rider?!)

Arimmus
Cave Troll

Post by Arimmus »

Currently trying to picture a 7" tall pixie on a full sized horse :P

Arimmus
Cave Troll

Post by Arimmus »

Would Help if I posted what I think you are looking for now wouldn't it?
Pixie for person on Forums.png
Pixie for person on Forums.png (182.54 KiB) Viewed 10303 times

Telarus
Giant

Post by Telarus »

NICE!

We have "Windlings" in Earthdawn, and this would be very useful (some of them even follow the Cavalryman Discipline.. riding dogs, cats, large lizards, and birds).

You've got a Gamma problem, tho (it's probably a setting in your 3D software). Here's the same token after "gamma correction":

Vhex
Giant

Post by Vhex »

Hah! Great job Arrimus!
Azhrei wrote:(I presume he uses a steed for the movement rate? But really -- a full-sized horse for a 7" rider?!)
Actually, his speed is the same with or without the horse (and on the horse he can't fly) but he's a cavalier, so he needs a horse. Plus, I like the juxtaposition of it.

Someone somewhere made a joke that he should get a stealth bonus because all they'd see is the horse charging at them. That amuses me.

Arimmus
Cave Troll

Post by Arimmus »

Like I said, I am no pro at this sort of this, I have limited knowledge. I just wanted to do this because so many are out there trying to find models that fit what they need, and others just can't think of all of it, and I find its fun to put these together. Took me about 10 minutes to do him up. Any other request please feel free to let me know. I also DO the portraits as well, Faces are much harder to do however :p

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Just pick some stuff to make and start posting to your gallery. If you enjoy doing this, just start and take requests as they come in. Eventually, someone will find something they need if you have already made it up...

I know for me, I can never have to many unique monsters(Ogres, Trolls, Goblins, Orcs, etc). I would "love" to also have fairly decent number of drow(in an underworld campaign setting now) since that's a major part of the story arc over the next 15 sessions or so(no big rush, we only meet once a month, next playing Jan and even then it's the other GM's game). If you want to do up a few, I would mostly prefer males of martial classes (fighters and rogues), but also need a BBEG spell caster(well... technically..two... one will be a older brother to be introduced later in the arc...)
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Telarus
Giant

Post by Telarus »

Arimmus wrote:Like I said, I am no pro at this sort of this, I have limited knowledge. I just wanted to do this because so many are out there trying to find models that fit what they need, and others just can't think of all of it, and I find its fun to put these together. Took me about 10 minutes to do him up. Any other request please feel free to let me know. I also DO the portraits as well, Faces are much harder to do however :p
Incorrect Gamma is a little known, but very common problem in digital art. I'll see if I can find where in your software to set the correction. Learning it now will save you from massive headaches later.

You said it's Daz3D right?

Arimmus
Cave Troll

Post by Arimmus »

Yeah Daz3d 4. I still need to work with lighting for it. Any who, here is another teaser for all those still not convinced I have some skill, I present "Kain" from legacy of Kain. Note this isn't 100% finished yet, but meh.
Kain Top.png
Kain Top.png (207.7 KiB) Viewed 10252 times
ENJOY!

Return to “Graphics, Images, Tokens, Maps”