Water effect tutorial in photoshop

Threads specific to teaching (or step-by-step resources) for making any kind of graphic image for us in RPtools applications (mostly MapTool and TokenTool).

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Dracorat
Dragon

Post by Dracorat »

Btw, I thought I'd throw something else in here.

An easy way to quickly square up the edges of anything that's been blurred is to go to LEVELS and move the triangles inward. It gives a sharper and more precise result.

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

The example of the statue by the river looks awesome by the way.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

A water ripple texture very like that can be done in GIMP like this:

http://gug.sunsite.dk/tutorials/tapostrophemo1/

plothos
Great Wyrm

Post by plothos »

Very helpful. Thanks.

AidyBaby
Dragon

Post by AidyBaby »

UntoldGlory wrote:The example of the statue by the river...
Thanks. I wish I could find the time to contribute more here and Cart's Guild but RL is getting in the way a bit. I hope to be able to get back into mapping soon (turned into a professional lurker!).
D&D qualities are related inversely to those of Poker... and I love both.
http://www.yorkpoker.co.uk

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Unfortunately, the GIMP water-effect tutorial is AWOL at the moment. However, you can make some progress with it even without, by messing with a combination of waves, ripple, and displace.

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

I put this together in Gimp a while ago. It's a very different look, but might be useful to you:

http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... water+gimp

snikle
Great Wyrm

Re: Water effect tutorial in photoshop

Post by snikle »

Very nice tutorial! The sample with the river flowing through the country looks very very nice.
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

LPhilosoFEE
Kobold

Post by LPhilosoFEE »

For my first post (Hi all!) thought I'd post a non-broken version of the GIMP link

http://www.tumfatig.net/docs/11_soft_cl ... rface.html

(I think it's the same one, can someone confirm that?)

This method seems complimentary to Torstan's method. By inspecting both, I suppose we each can make our own "secret recipe" for water. :)

PS (for Photoshop users) I found a link using some similar noise/blur methods. However, it is applied to making water in a photo, and the technique quickly becomes more complicated. Anyone who touches up photos will probably admire the end result!
http://photoshopcontest.com/tutorials/2 ... water.html

(Edit, after reading Torstan's method carefully!)
Last edited by LPhilosoFEE on Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

LPhilosoFEE wrote:For my first post (Hi all!) thought I'd post a non-broken version of the GIMP link

http://www.tumfatig.net/docs/11_soft_cl ... rface.html

(I think it's the same one, can someone confirm that?)

It has many steps similar to Torstan's method. By inspecting both, I suppose we each can make our own "secret recipe" for water. :)

PS (for Photoshop users) I found a link using some similar noise/blur methods. However, it is applied to making water in a photo, and the technique quickly becomes more complicated. Anyone who touches up photos will probably admire the end result!
http://photoshopcontest.com/tutorials/2 ... water.html

Woo! That's awesome!

AidyBaby
Dragon

Post by AidyBaby »

I've spotted that tutorial some time ago and managed to replicate the effect well, however, as you state it's ideal for perspective view (i.e. photos). I haven't been able to apply the effect successfully for plan effects.

-- AidyBaby --
D&D qualities are related inversely to those of Poker... and I love both.
http://www.yorkpoker.co.uk

LPhilosoFEE
Kobold

Post by LPhilosoFEE »

AidyBaby wrote: I haven't been able to apply the effect successfully for plan effects.
New to this, what does "plan effects" mean? :|

I haven't been able to do it with stock GIMP filters either. Closest I've gotten to somewhat-realistic water is ... now my avatar. If anyone's interested I'll post a tutorial in a new thread.

re OP in GIMP, seems importing PS's "Ocean ripple" into GIMP is the only straightforward way. Has anyone reading had success at this?

BruntFCA
Kobold

Post by BruntFCA »

I started to use Paint.net.

Gimp is too complicated and PS is $$$.

I used the water reflect plugin, and then cut out the bottom half. I have an adequate looking water. However, what I need to do is to set the water pgn I've created as the "spray" or "brush" texture, so I can spray the water on my maps!

I've no clue how to do this, so it's not really worth it for me to make the water, only to have it in a useless "block" format.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

BruntFCA wrote:I started to use Paint.net.

Gimp is too complicated ...
I disagree, but to each his own.
BruntFCA wrote: I used the water reflect plugin, and then cut out the bottom half. I have an adequate looking water. However, what I need to do is to set the water pgn I've created as the "spray" or "brush" texture, so I can spray the water on my maps!

I've no clue how to do this, so it's not really worth it for me to make the water, only to have it in a useless "block" format.
Learn how to use Layer Masks.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Malekith
Giant

Post by Malekith »

I've never tried GIMP, but I'm sure it's not really that much more complicated. in fact PdN is probably worse in some people's eyes because it's so simplistic and requires a lot of plugins. Hpwever it's just as powerful as GIMP and PS if you know how to use it.
It's my favourite I think, I had a copy of PS CS4 and got on with it ok, but I didn't know it the way I know PdN. But I digress...

The best plan of action is to look at the PdN forums. they are a very very good source of info for this sort of thing. It's like this forum's equivalent in the graphical design part of the interweb. I don't know how to use brushes or layer masks myself to be honest and I haven't done much with images recently cos my time is short. But I know that those two things are discussed a lot over there and it shouldn't take you long to find out what you need to know - as long as you're not easily sidetracked like me xD if I was on there and here I think I'd spend so much time reading and learning I'd never use the programs xD

Mal
Mal

Return to “Graphics, Images, Tokens, Maps”