Screencasts: Photoshop Tutorials

Threads specific to teaching (or step-by-step resources) for making any kind of graphic image for us in RPtools applications (mostly MapTool and TokenTool).

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Kepli
Giant

Post by Kepli »

If you liked the floors Dorpond pointed at, you might also like the puzzle tiles that are mentioned in the Dundjinni post :wink:

Puzzle Tiles: http://www.dundjinni.com/forums/forum_p ... &KW=puzzle

dLANbandit
Dragon

Post by dLANbandit »

I do I do.

but what I want to know most is how to make tiles. I pulled some searches like dorpond suggested and found a few tutorials on how to make seamless tiles. But what I don't know how to do right now is even make a seamed tile.

I learn best by modifying examples, so I'm desperately searching the net for examples.

Kepli
Giant

Post by Kepli »

Basically I still use the tutorial JDale wrote ...
http://www.vsf.cape.com/~jdale/rpg/rpg.htm

By now I tweaked it a bit for Photoshop CS2, but I basically still do the same. If this doesn't help you enough, let me know and I will see what I can do :wink:

dLANbandit
Dragon

Post by dLANbandit »

so most textures are created by people using digital cameras? I was under the impression people were drawing them somehow.

I guess I do have some nice cameras.... I'm going to try that. thanks. ..

Dracorat
Dragon

Post by Dracorat »

Some people do draw them, but those same people are the ones who pass a pencil over a page and end up with a complete figure of a human being down to the last pouch on their belts ;)

dLANbandit
Dragon

Post by dLANbandit »

ah. OK thanks. I was under the misguided impression that there were tricks one could pull off in photoshop that let you create those textures from scratch with little artistic ability and mostly technology and methodology.

I now know that I should be building my own starting with borrowed goods, or photos. not trying to figure out how to draw them myself.

Kepli
Giant

Post by Kepli »

dLANbandit wrote:ah. OK thanks. I was under the misguided impression that there were tricks one could pull off in photoshop that let you create those textures from scratch with little artistic ability and mostly technology and methodology.

I now know that I should be building my own starting with borrowed goods, or photos. not trying to figure out how to draw them myself.
Those textures JDale used where just what he used for samples. I never use photographs, since I create all my textures with either Photoshop of other drawing progs. And yes, Photoshop has an enormous amount of filters you can use.
Here is a tip: generate a photoshop image at 128x128, 156x156, 512x512, etc using all kinds of filters and it will tile ;)

Dracorat
Dragon

Post by Dracorat »

For the record, even ILM has a texture database - when they need new textures they hire artists or take photographs - very little photoshopping happens for original work.

At least, that's what I've gotten from watching DvD commentaries and making of videos from movies like XMen, Pirates of the Caribbean, Lord of the Rings. Both the comments their designers have made "We grew mold in a petri dish and then took photos" and what Ive gleamed from watching their computers when they are running through stuff support what Ive said.

Kepli
Giant

Post by Kepli »

Very true ... It's just not how everyone does it :wink:
I don't need that much realism for instance :)

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Kepli wrote: Here is a tip: generate a photoshop image at 128x128, 156x156, 512x512, etc using all kinds of filters and it will tile ;)
Make that 256x256 :P :wink:

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

There are also apps out there specifically for creating textures (tileable or not). They can be created algorithmically and or from an existing image like a photo. TextureMaker is one such program.

There are a number of plug-ins for Photoshop that will create tiles and Gimp includes a basic one.

Kepli
Giant

Post by Kepli »

dorpond wrote:
Kepli wrote: Here is a tip: generate a photoshop image at 128x128, 156x156, 512x512, etc using all kinds of filters and it will tile ;)
Make that 256x256 :P :wink:
Oops ... :oops: ... shame on me ...

Skyryder
Kobold

Post by Skyryder »

A great source of Free Textures is at Mayang's Textures:

http://mayang.com/textures/

An awesome "free" plug-in for PhotoShop can be found at RedField plugins. It's called Seamless Workshop:

http://www.redfieldplugins.com/filterSe ... rkshop.htm
"But that's not the way Dark vision works in the real world."

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

That is an awesome find! Thank you! I'm going to post this over at the Cartographer's Guild as well since we are always looking for stuff like this. Thanks!
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me.

ImageImage

heruca
Dragon

Post by heruca »

Thanks for the link, SkyRyder.

Return to “Graphics, Images, Tokens, Maps”