Seamless Tiles

Threads for tilesets and background graphics made by MapTool users and provided for other users to make use of. (This is just like the section for frameworks that users have made and offered to others, but specific to libraries of map-making tiles, objects, and backgrounds).

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Mazerik
Kobold

Seamless Tiles

Post by Mazerik »

Here is another one that is done in oil paint (using a wacom drawing tablet and ArtRage).
Attachments
stone02.png
stone02.png (437.77 KiB) Viewed 17141 times
Last edited by Mazerik on Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

syntruth
Giant

Re: Seamless Tiles

Post by syntruth »

Not a bad start. However, the drop shadows make it look like grey lily-pads to me, not like the stones are embedded in the ground. And the grout sections need some sort of texture as well, in my opinion.

What app are you using to make this in? :)

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

syntruth has some good comments and with those adjustments made, I think this would look pretty good. :)

keithcurtis
Giant

Post by keithcurtis »

If you are using Photoshop, try adding a bevel effect to the layer, rounded and fairly large, to give them a weathered look, or smaller and sharper for newe flagstone. A slight inner glow set to Shadow might also work.

Note, you'll need to work with a larger texture and then cut it down to size from a flattened version, otherwise you'll wind up with bunged-up edges.

This looks like a good start.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

In general, don't use directional shadows for images meant to be used in VTTs. It is pretty much a guarantee that whatever direction you pick won't match the lighting where it is used and won't match the other objects used.

wrathchild
Dragon

Post by wrathchild »

I like that the tile doesn't give any obvious patterns when zoomed out - this is very easy to get with these kind of tiles - good job on that.

I agree with the grout lines needing a texture also - that would look great!

No shadows is probably also a good idea for the reasons stated.

Great effort! Keep working on it for all of us who haven't got a creative bone for such things ;).
Entering the Digital Age of Roleplaying.
Part of the Resident GURPS Lobby.
Calling for Halos to be Hexified.

Mazerik
Kobold

Post by Mazerik »

Ok, I spent a little more time with this one. The other one, I used photoshop and attempted to create one real quick. I agree with all of the constructive criticism and so I decided to do a more artistic approach. I used the program "ArtRage 2" and painted one. I then took it into photoshop to create the seamless effect. Is this style usable for people's campaigns? Let me know, cause it was kinda fun!
Attachments
stone01.png
stone01.png (456.94 KiB) Viewed 17149 times

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Nice.

Mazerik
Kobold

Post by Mazerik »

here is another one!
Attachments
seamless
seamless
stone03small.png (174.35 KiB) Viewed 17114 times

Mazerik
Kobold

Post by Mazerik »

ok, here are a couple of dungeon/castle tiles... For the full set, click on the link below and go to my gallery!

http://gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/Mazerik/
Attachments
Hall_S-W_Corner_1sq.png
Hall_S-W_Corner_1sq.png (292.67 KiB) Viewed 17093 times
Hall_N-S_1sq.png
Hall_N-S_1sq.png (308.11 KiB) Viewed 17094 times
Hall_E-W_1sq.png
Hall_E-W_1sq.png (266.66 KiB) Viewed 17098 times
Last edited by Mazerik on Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mazerik
Kobold

Post by Mazerik »

can anyone tell me how I can make all of the tile sets available for download? I have 33 of the same style as the post above and I would like to let people download them. I haven't made any doors, traps, stairs or other objects yet but the tile sets have just about everything you need to make a custom dungeon in maptools.

one other question... in photoshop 5.5, how do you make an object (for example, a table) and preserve the transparency so that you can drop it on top of another tile in Maptools? I should know how to do this, but for the life of me I cannot seem to do it!

wrathchild
Dragon

Post by wrathchild »

Mazerik wrote:Ok, I spent a little more time with this one. The other one, I used photoshop and attempted to create one real quick. I agree with all of the constructive criticism and so I decided to do a more artistic approach. I used the program "ArtRage 2" and painted one. I then took it into photoshop to create the seamless effect. Is this style usable for people's campaigns? Let me know, cause it was kinda fun!
I really like the style of this one (and the dungeon tiles based on it). Up close it's great!

It doesn't zoom out as well as the first one however - AFAICT it has to do with the very light stone in the upper left corner. The ones to the left of that one are also in the lighter range, and together they come to form a repeating line when you zoom out.

But I really like the style. Different than what we're used to.

wrathchild
Dragon

Post by wrathchild »

Mazerik wrote:here is another one!
Again liking the style, but this particular one gets very bad when zooming out even a little due to the light band of stones in the middle. If that could be adjusted it'd be a winner!

wrathchild
Dragon

Post by wrathchild »

Mazerik wrote:ok, here are a couple of dungeon/castle tiles... let me know what you think
Now that I've tried to set them up a bit and fool around, I can say that these have turned out great. They're 350 px AFAICT and for some reason this seems perfect for the hexmaps I usually use - snap-to-grid makes them fit perfectly. And as said above, I like the style a lot.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Mazerik wrote:can anyone tell me how I can make all of the tile sets available for download? I have 33 of the same style as the post above and I would like to let people download them.
There is a Gallery attached to the main site that you can upload images into. You will need to make an account for yourself.
Mazerik wrote:one other question... in photoshop 5.5, how do you make an object (for example, a table) and preserve the transparency so that you can drop it on top of another tile in Maptools? I should know how to do this, but for the life of me I cannot seem to do it!
You save them as PNG files though there is probably a setting in Photoshop that says to preserve transparency. I use Gimp so can't help you with the specific setting.

When saving images that have a transparent area around them use whatever the feature in Photoshop is called that allows you to automatically crop away the unneeded portions while preserving the drop shadow.

Return to “Tilesets/Graphics for Map-making”