My dungeon tiles

Threads for tilesets and background graphics made by MapTool users and provided for other users to make use of. (This is just like the section for frameworks that users have made and offered to others, but specific to libraries of map-making tiles, objects, and backgrounds).

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Mathemagician
Dragon

Re: My dungeon tiles

Post by Mathemagician »

Another thing I think might be neat is if you had a transition to a non-masoned dungeon. So a cracked wall, and then a scattered flagstone overlay to make a connection to a dirt tunnel.

And then I'd love a set of textures that could be used to make nice cavern walls / floors, that could be used to paint out a jaggedy cavern (rather than tiles to do a "copy and paste your own cave").

I simply love your style!

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

Thanks!

I've been thinking about this a bit. I want to get a complete masoned dungeon set first and then do the more uneven caves in the same style - a floor texture and pieces of walls. Any thoughts on how to go from masoned to nonmasoned?

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

I think the easiest would be to "cut" your flagstone texture at the joint of the flagstones, and remove it. Then fill in the removed part with your dirt texture. Maybe include a tile with transparency that has a few flagstones randomly positioned, tilted up, etc that can be placed over the "transition tile" so that it looks like the work men just stopped at that point and left some flagstones laying there.
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me.

ImageImage

Sepp
Dragon

Post by Sepp »

These look neat. I downloaded them, and will give them a whirl in MT later tonight.

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

Thanks. I'll be interested to hear how that goes.

Thanks RP, they're good ideas. I'll have a play around and see how I get along.

I added some 2 square wide spiral staircases for those of you who want Big dungeons:
SpiralStairsDown,2Sq,50px.png
SpiralStairsDown,2Sq,50px.png (47.78 KiB) Viewed 3321 times
SpiralStairsUp,2Sq,50px.png
SpiralStairsUp,2Sq,50px.png (49.27 KiB) Viewed 3320 times
I'll do the 1/4 rise ones over the weekend. I've updated the zips with these in both the 100px and 50px versions.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Ladders
Broken wall sections
Rubble(of the broken wall variety)
Well(as in a water well)
Fireplace
Perhaps some type of partially transparent symbol for murder holes
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

Good ideas there. They've all gone on the list. Some will be set dressing (which is coming later) but most are for construction.

Brigand
Read-only User

Post by Brigand »

I like the idea behind these tiles, but they're a little cumbersome to use. Especially when it comes to rotating individual pieces and how easily and efficiently they're used on the fly. I spent all day at work coming up with different shapes and tile sizes, trying to figure out a way to speed up the process of using a tileset, but making the layout universal. I think I hit upon a way to make such a tileset, but it wouldn't be as nice as the walls you have.

I guess I could create a default, generic set of tiles you set over painted terrain or large terrain tiles and then go back and create specific tiles to match different terrain textures. The image attached is a sample of where I'm starting. The black will cover up the terrain, marking spots for VBL very easily.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Love the style of these Torstan. But I have a couple minor quibbles (of course).

FWIW, I've personally been in nearly 200 castles and fortifications and, with one exception, all turnpike staircases that I have seen ascend clockwise. Which is to say that your up stairs are backwards. :)

If you mirror image them they will be correct and have the benefit of matching the the descending stairs from the level above which descend counter-clockwise.

Need a turnpike staircase going both up and down as well.

Your wall pieces have shadows that extend off the ends of them. Which means when you butt one wall up against the next that you get a shadow on top of one of the pieces.

On the short wall pieces there is a lot of extraneous shadow (and dirt) off the ends of the walls. Here's an example placed against a white background to show what I mean.
ShadowExample.png
ShadowExample.png (8.58 KiB) Viewed 3299 times
One thing that is missing is inside and outside corner pieces. While you can butt a vertical and horizontal wall section up against each other, one of them will end up with the others shadow or dirt fill on top of it.

Looking forward to future additions.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Phergus wrote:FWIW, I've personally been in nearly 200 castles and fortifications and, with one exception, all turnpike staircases that I have seen ascend clockwise. Which is to say that your up stairs are backwards. :)
Yep. The goal of castle construction was to always keep an invader at the disadvantage and requiring them to climb stairs with their sword arm restricted was a key goal.

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

@Aria: I don't quite understand the principle you're suggesting - could you elaborate a little? One thing I can do is make up a few more finished rooms from the pieces to make the construction quicker.

@Phergus: Thanks for the testing. They're useful comments.

Now staircases :) I used to guide castles in Scotland, so I know all about staircases. I thought about that. Now obviously you can flip all these tiles to get the up staircases to work the right way. However I made these immediately after reading the dungeon a day blog where the deeper you go, the more dangerous it is. As a result, surely the defenders are the lower denizens and so will need the advantage. Therefore the turnpikes in a dungeon should go down when you go clockwise to disadvantage the adventurers, in exact contrast to all castles in the real world.

The reason I created a staircase that goes 135 degrees is that an up staircase and a down staircase stuck together will give you a full 270 degree staircase. I want to keep the number of tiles down to keep the filesize down, though I might well put together a full 3/4 spiral staircase image to do that.

Wall shadows - I do have weak shadows on the end of the walls. I wanted to make these quick and dirty to put together so I wasn't worrying too much about corners. So the walls that are there are enough to create a rough dungeon. For people who care about more precise dungeons I'll clean them up a little and add corner tiles.

As for the smaller walls - I was wondering who would notice the crap shadows. I've been meaning to clean them up for a while. Ah well, new bits will appear over the weekend and you can keep me honest :)

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

And Torstan should know this because we have a whole thread devoted to the discussion at the CG. ;) :lol: Just giving you a hard time T. It is for a fantasy dungeon after all. Maybe all orcs are left handed. ;)
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me.

ImageImage

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

torstan wrote:Now staircases :) I used to guide castles in Scotland, so I know all about staircases.
Oh, cool! Do you still live there? I haven't been there in 10 years, but the wife and I had a great time in Scotland.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Fair enough Torstan but what about dungeons that go up? :)

Craig
Great Wyrm

Post by Craig »

Phergus wrote:Fair enough Torstan but what about dungeons that go up? :)
That problem can be solved by standing on your head :)

Return to “Tilesets/Graphics for Map-making”