My dungeon tiles

Threads for tilesets and background graphics made by MapTool users and provided for other users to make use of. (This is just like the section for frameworks that users have made and offered to others, but specific to libraries of map-making tiles, objects, and backgrounds).

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

torstan
Great Wyrm

Re: My dungeon tiles

Post by torstan »

So as you can flip any tile, you can make stairs that go in either direction. So, once again, way ahead of you :) Here's an example - same tiles here as in the pack:
spiralStairs2.png
spiralStairs2.png (499.2 KiB) Viewed 3069 times
Never let it be said that I don't cater for left handed orcs...

I don't live there any more sadly though my parents do. I used to guide tours around Linlithgow Palace.

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

very cool!

This brings up the idea of grouping images. It'd be neat to build say a generic room from these pieces and group them so they then move around as if one image. Currently tokens show up with the red-white border, objects with blue-white... maybe grouped objects as orange-white to indicate grouping for confusion sake. Move it around, etc. and break apart as needed.

Then one could release a .cmpgn file with a bunch of grouped rooms that could be used to build really easily and broken apart when needed.

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

@Hawke: Hey there. That's a great idea. By the way, I haven't forgotten about those trees you asked about. They are coming when I move on to outdoor terrain.

For Phergus, there are now a whole set of new corner pieces.

Here are the new screenshots of a few. Hopefully I have covered almost all possible eventualities (there are cross pieces, corners, dead ends and t-junctions):
newCorners.png
newCorners.png (334.83 KiB) Viewed 3027 times
newCorners2.png
newCorners2.png (225.68 KiB) Viewed 3027 times
I've updated the zips with the new tiles. Oh, I've also cleaned up the crap wall ends that Phergus picked up on. They should work better now.

Mathemagician
Dragon

Post by Mathemagician »

Tortsan-

Another addition that I think would be nice is a set of rounded pieces, that might be used to make a circle room, or a rounded corner, these sorts of things.

Also, RPMiller described exactly what I wanted in the transition-to-underground tileset.

Man, asking is so much easier than creating! But you're doing fantastic work, and I can't thank you enough. I think it'd be criminal if these don't get included as official tilesets for the stable release of 1.3!

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

The problem with the circular ones is that you'd need one tile set of curves for every different radius of room, so I think I'll hold off on those for a core set of tiles. I might put together a set of room tiles at some point in the future though. They've gone on the list.

I've also added a wooden floor texture:
TilableWood.jpg
TilableWood.jpg (24.11 KiB) Viewed 3017 times
This can now be used for most buildings so that the walls I already have can be re-use outside the dungeon for inns, warehouses and so on. Here's an example:
Inn.jpg
Inn.jpg (76.99 KiB) Viewed 3014 times
This now shows that I need to do a grass and dirt texture and some house and contents work. Anyway, progress.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Love the new bits! Thanks Torstan! Slainte Mhath!

RedDog
Dragon

Post by RedDog »

This is really nice torstan. Thanks a lot for sharing your work.

Here are a few other suggestions you might consider:
- Natural drop offs (for collapsed dungeon floors)
- Small Alcove
- Short stairs for dias
- Corner stairs for dias
- Wall tile you can pull away to reveal a secret hall
- 45 degree walls that can connect to the one you already have (although, that would almost be like creating a new set)

Anyway...thanks again.

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

What do you mean by natural drop offs? Also, what size are you after for alcoves?

A lot of the extras people are after can be achieved by turning off snap to grid. Here are some screenhsots of these tiles used to create angled halls and circular rooms:
Angles.jpg
Angles.jpg (22.46 KiB) Viewed 2946 times
CircularRoom.jpg
CircularRoom.jpg (31.67 KiB) Viewed 2943 times
The transition from flagstones to another texture can be best achieved I've found by drawing the new texture over flagstone texture. Here's an example:
Textures.jpg
Textures.jpg (39.46 KiB) Viewed 2945 times

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

I've also added barred walls to the pack and some doors. Here they are:
BarredWalls.jpg
BarredWalls.jpg (59.77 KiB) Viewed 2946 times
BarredWalls2.jpg
BarredWalls2.jpg (121.54 KiB) Viewed 2946 times
And here are the doors. They're not in the main pack yet, but here's the png for those who want to play around with them. They're sized to rotate around the hinge.
Door.png
Door.png (14.96 KiB) Viewed 2946 times
This is the 100px version. You can easily downsize it for easy use on a 50px map.

I've also updated the sample campaign file to the one these screenshots were taken from.

thecyberwolfe
Dragon

Post by thecyberwolfe »

Now if only there was a way to have VBL built into those bars :)

Thanks!
The Cyberwolfe
----------------
Them: "Name one thing a PC can do that a Mac can't!"
Me: "Right-click."

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

Oh my word, tell me about it. VBLing those bars was painful. When the VBL on tokens is working (in 1.4 I hear) this will be phenomenal. Of course, it's going to make all these tiles a bit more useful as well.

teejaydub
Cave Troll

Post by teejaydub »

Yes, VBL on tiles like these will be killer - but I want to chime in as well to say this is very nice work. Thoughtfully constructed AND aesthetically pleasing. I look forward to using them. Thanks!

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

Thanks!

I was playing around with this and thought of new uses for the tiles I already have. Well, I built a castle!
Castle.jpg
Castle.jpg (80.44 KiB) Viewed 2932 times
To build this I did the following:
1. New map -> Grass
2. Lay down the textures using the paint tool - grey flags for the castle, dark blue at 20% opacity for the base of the moat followed by water at 100% to make it look nice, vertical wood for the drawbridge.
3. I defined the elevations using the step tiles from the Stairs and Elevations directory. These were also used to define the edge of the drawbridge
4. I placed the staircases.
5. I added the downward gradient over the longer staircase to darken it and make it clear that it was going down to the ground.
6. I used the internal walls tiles to built the outer castle walls.
7. I used the old single wal tile with the shadow on the ends (the one Phergus didn't like) to create the battlements.
8. VBL on the whole thing, and voila! A castle.

Malekith
Giant

Post by Malekith »

Floundering Fortresses Batman!
This is so amazing! Such a great expansion for the 2 gig file and sould so be included as an official set (d'ya hear me admins? :P)

Mal
Mal

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

Wow Tortsan! AWESOME stuff! This will make creation a breeze. Here's looking forward to the attatched VBL!

Return to “Tilesets/Graphics for Map-making”