My dungeon tiles

Threads for tilesets and background graphics made by MapTool users and provided for other users to make use of. (This is just like the section for frameworks that users have made and offered to others, but specific to libraries of map-making tiles, objects, and backgrounds).

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

torstan
Great Wyrm

Re: My dungeon tiles

Post by torstan »

Yep, the walls should go on the background layer.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Hmm, maybe it's worth creating subdirectories for ths images? A subdirectory called BackgroundLayer and then all of the walls and such, then another subdir called ObjectLayer and all of the "dressing"?

That might make it more obvious for beginning users. :)

Waneta
Giant

Post by Waneta »

I'm not sure exactly how the caching/repository works, but what happens if you're tiles are distributed with the client and but then later updated? If the new ones aren't in the repository, wouldn't clients of gm's who use the new ones have to download the new ones with the campaign file?
How am I going to stop some big mean mother hubbard from tearing me a structurally superfluous new behind?

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

Another idea would be, for a later version of MT, to have objects default to a specific layer. Maybe that could be determined by the folder they are in? That would really make laying out a map a snap as the various objects/tiles/etc would just go to the layer they "should" be in, but of course a way to override that should still be possible.
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me.

ImageImage

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

Waneta wrote:I'm not sure exactly how the caching/repository works, but what happens if you're tiles are distributed with the client and but then later updated? If the new ones aren't in the repository, wouldn't clients of gm's who use the new ones have to download the new ones with the campaign file?
MapTool caches based on the MD5 (I think) of the file. If it's updated, MapTool immediately will know that they aren't talking about the same files anymore and it will seek to download a new version from the repository and then the GM.

If someone had local copies of the 1.0 files and used them, the clients would search the repository for the 1.0 - I see no reason why they'd be removed from the repository simply if we updated to a 2.0 version. The repository could host both without issue and a mix of both could easily be used.

Is the gallery repository working again yet?

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

Having them in separate folders is a good idea. I think I'll do that as an extra visual cue. I think having objects autoselect their layers could get irritating, as there are always times when you might want walls on the object layer (secret doors) or objects on the background layer (carpets, pits). Interesting thought though. I think having a layer preference might be something to revisit when we come back to considering a more broad implementation of layers.

As for the download versions, I'm going to defer to Hawke on that one.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

If you could save objects like you can tokens (maybe you can but I haven't tried) maybe you could save the layer as part of that? They would probably show up as .rptok files but that would be fine. Adding VBL as part of the saved object/background would rule!!!
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Waneta
Giant

Post by Waneta »

My point was that Torstan's files are not in the repository. It's excellent that they would be distributed with the initial download, but as soon as people start using a newer version and they're not in the repository, the GM will have to upload them all despite an older version being in the maptools distribution.

Basically, I was just commenting on Torstan's comment that because his files will be distributed with maptools they don't really need to be in the repository. That's true right up until a newer version of his tiles comes out.
How am I going to stop some big mean mother hubbard from tearing me a structurally superfluous new behind?

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

I see your point. I would hope that the version that comes in the 1.3 final will be the final version of the tiles, but that might be a little foolhardy...

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

Waneta wrote:Basically, I was just commenting on Torstan's comment that because his files will be distributed with maptools they don't really need to be in the repository. That's true right up until a newer version of his tiles comes out.
Got it... that is correct... if they aren't in the repository, newer versions w/o updating your MapTool wont provide any speed benefit for any changed files (though unchanged ones would continue to see a benefit). My suggestion then would be to keep all versions in the repository.

Good suggestion.

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

Okay, now for the person who hasn't been paying attention. Where it The Repository and how should I go about putting these there?

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

torstan wrote:Okay, now for the person who hasn't been paying attention. Where it The Repository and how should I go about putting these there?
It used to be - and someone can confirm if this is still true - that the gallery was a default repository... so anything uploaded to the gallery would be pulled from there rather than the GM's computer. The caveat is the script that repositoryized the gallery was run once a day, so you'd need to upload your stuff earlier.

Last I heard the script was broken post-host-changes, but we'll see if that's the case! If it's fixed, simply uploading the images will get everybody faster speeds.

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

That's a good idea. If the gallery is working as a repository then I can upload all the assets there.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

The gallery is in fact the default repository. Unfortunately it isn't currently auto updating the index.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Is this something than can be run by hand every so often (like after Torstan makes an update to his tiles?)
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Return to “Tilesets/Graphics for Map-making”