GE's Cave Tiles v2

Threads for tilesets and background graphics made by MapTool users and provided for other users to make use of. (This is just like the section for frameworks that users have made and offered to others, but specific to libraries of map-making tiles, objects, and backgrounds).

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

galneweinhaw
Dragon

Re: GE's Cave Tiles v2

Post by galneweinhaw »

Natha wrote:
galneweinhaw wrote: If you are using them, I've made a lot more tiles to complete the set and then some. Let me know if you want to try them and I'll package and upload.
I'd like that, please. :)
What would you recommand to resize them to 50px ? (software and how-to)
Hmm... not sure.

You could try ImRe, it's a free resizer that works with PNG images and can do batches of files:
http://www.vcsoftwares.com/ImRe.html
galneweinhaw = galileo newton einstein hawking

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

lmarkus001 wrote:The one thing that does not handle well is secret/concealed doors-passageways.
I've taken to putting a letter "S" on the Hidden layer and including a macro on it, a la your Timer token. Selecting the "S" and clicking the "Search" macro runs a Search check on all PCs on the map sending the output to "self". (I plan to add DisableDevice and OpenLock macros as well.) I should probably save a list of those who succeed on the check so that I can refer to it later (scribble-scribble on an electronic post-it note). I also have a single macro that move the "S" token to the Object layer so that the players can see it.

It should be a simple matter to tell the "S" token that there are other tokens that should be moved to various layers on success, allowing the OpenLock check to make a passageway visible. Probably properties like "Token", "Object", and "Background" where each is a list of token names that are moved to the respective layer upon success. Maybe have a similar list of tokens that should be moved to the Hidden layer as well? This will need tweaking, since I wouldn't want it to happen unless I specifically authorize it.

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

I meant more visually. The cave tile set with the VBL does not lend itself well to having a secret door to another area. Too much "behind-the-wall" is exposed.

So if I wanted to have a secret passage, I would need a different tile hidden to the players that pops in if they discover the passage and totally changes the terrain AND changes the VBL.

Brigand
Read-only User

Post by Brigand »

Well, when we get VBL attacked to objects/tokens, that will work. The secret tile will replace the other tile, changing VBL.

galneweinhaw
Dragon

Post by galneweinhaw »

lmarkus001 wrote:I meant more visually. The cave tile set with the VBL does not lend itself well to having a secret door to another area. Too much "behind-the-wall" is exposed.

So if I wanted to have a secret passage, I would need a different tile hidden to the players that pops in if they discover the passage and totally changes the terrain AND changes the VBL.
What I've been doing is placing traps and secret doors on the object layer, and not visible to players. Then when they discover it, I make it visible (not on the background so it's easy to select quickly as opposed to fiddling around with all the background stamps to get the right one.) It will place itself over the background and replace whatever was underneath.

I'll see if I can post an example.

galneweinhaw
Dragon

Post by galneweinhaw »

I updated the tileset to include everything I had.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jwmmwzinwzk

Ikyoto
Kobold

Post by Ikyoto »

Gotta say, these are great for cavern crawling. Thanks - the work shows. The ends have been matching perfectly.
"Wait a minute. If you are a god and all powerful, why do you need worshipers?"
-the last thing Toff the Archer said before he was turned into a puddle of oil by a god.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Very Nice! Wish you'd done this a month ago when I was laying out a cave system. :-)
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Waneta
Giant

Post by Waneta »

What? He did do it a month ago, in fact he last updated at the end of April!
How am I going to stop some big mean mother hubbard from tearing me a structurally superfluous new behind?

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Well then dang me for just now finding it. :mrgreen:
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Natha
Dragon

Post by Natha »

FWIW : used the tilesets to do Massacre at Fort Dolor
ImageImageImageImage

galneweinhaw
Dragon

Post by galneweinhaw »

Cool! I added it to the cmpgn file resource:
http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... 37#p105937

Natha
Dragon

Post by Natha »

Thanks.
I forgot about this one.
:|
ImageImageImageImage

Maelwys
Kobold

Post by Maelwys »

Just a quick thanks for these amazing looking tiles. I've just started to use Maptools to run the GDQ modules, and this tileset is amazing for that, with all the underground caves and stuff throughout the module.

The one thing I haven't found yet, however, is some cave-appropriate set decorations. Stalagmites/stalactites, sink-holes, rivers and lava flows... things like that. Anybody have any suggestions?

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

There are some of those in the 2GB torrent that's going around. I've got about a half-dozen stals and stags ;), but the rest of the dungeon dressing is stones, cracks in the floor, moss, etc.

Return to “Tilesets/Graphics for Map-making”