Help Making a Token Library

If you have searched the other User Creations subforums and an answer to your question has not been found, please post here!

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

megaman093
Kobold

Help Making a Token Library

Post by megaman093 »

Wasn't sure where to post this so I'll try here.
I recently started playing Dnd 3.5 again over maptool with some real life friends. I've decided to start trying to make a token library containing all 3.5 monsters with macros to share with everyone. I go to http://www.imarvintpa.com/DnDLive/index.php where they already have tons of tokens with some basic info. I then add macros for things like init attacks and saves. The idea is to have tokens that a DM can drop into the game and use immediately.

I wanted to see if anyone wanted to join in on this. Ideally we would get most or all of the monsters from the 3 monster manuals which is quit a bit of work. Let me know if you would be interested in helping make some tokens.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: Help Making a Token Library

Post by Full Bleed »

megaman093 wrote:Wasn't sure where to post this so I'll try here.
I recently started playing Dnd 3.5 again over maptool with some real life friends. I've decided to start trying to make a token library containing all 3.5 monsters with macros to share with everyone. I go to http://www.imarvintpa.com/DnDLive/index.php where they already have tons of tokens with some basic info. I then add macros for things like init attacks and saves. The idea is to have tokens that a DM can drop into the game and use immediately.

I wanted to see if anyone wanted to join in on this. Ideally we would get most or all of the monsters from the 3 monster manuals which is quit a bit of work. Let me know if you would be interested in helping make some tokens.
It would be kind of pointless to try and do all the monsters at once... because once something in your framework changed you'd have to do them all over again. That's why people tend to use "Statblock Importers" that are built specifically for their frameworks to import monsters as needed in a format that's compatible with their current setup.

You might want to take a look at lmarkus' Pathfinder/3.5 framework. It has a good statblock importer in it.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Full Bleed wrote:You might want to take a look at lmarkus' Pathfinder/3.5 framework. It has a good statblock importer in it.
Also, all of IMarv's tokens are designed for that framework. I usually click Edit Char and set the base hitpoints rather than leaving it as random. Using Edit Char also sets the token type to DnD35. At least I think it does. I think it's something I did awhile back and Lindsay adapted it to the newer versions.

If you're just starting playing DnD I would recommend trying Pathfinder. I think the character builds are less complicated and more balanced than many of the characters your 3.5 players will want to play. Beware Tome of Battle and Exalted Deeds/Vile Darkness in 3.5. They have some game breakers and are some of the more recent releases before they abandoned 3.5. Also, IMarv has tokens for Pathfinder and the d20pfsrd is pretty all inclusive. Your players can research races, classes, feats, spells and abilities with little trouble.

megaman093
Kobold

Post by megaman093 »

I was actually using an older version of that framework but it doesn't seem super user friendly and kind of clunky. It's nice that you can add in every possibility for an attack but that's a lot of options to wade through every time you make an attack. Importing the stat blocks wasn't super great either. What I was doing was adding in my own simple macros to the selection window so they'd be usable in any version.

I dunno maybe it's easier than it looks is there a tutorial video or anything for it?

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

megaman093 wrote:I was actually using an older version of that framework but it doesn't seem super user friendly and kind of clunky. It's nice that you can add in every possibility for an attack but that's a lot of options to wade through every time you make an attack. Importing the stat blocks wasn't super great either. What I was doing was adding in my own simple macros to the selection window so they'd be usable in any version.

I dunno maybe it's easier than it looks is there a tutorial video or anything for it?
It probably isn't very easy... and I don't think there has ever been good documentation for it. Truth is, the main reason I don't use it is because way back when I was looking for a Pathfinder framework I had the same feeling about it and I ended up just building my own framework, slowly adding features I needed as I needed them. But, last I checked, it is much more user friendly now than it used to be (though I'm sure building my own framework has made figuring out other people's frameworks easier as well).

That said, the statblock importer concept is a concept you should familiarize yourself with if you are looking to "build a monster token library". If you're not going to adopt the framework, you can still see how the importer can pull information out of a statblock and attach it to properties you use in your game. With some investment you can probably customize it to suit your needs and avoid the daunting task of trying to build up a library that would probably become useless and obsolete as you add new features and macros to your campaign. It will be much easier to just update the importer and re-import a monster (almost instantly) that will be compatible with any new features you add along the way.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

megaman093
Kobold

Post by megaman093 »

Thanks I have been considering looking into making my own properties/ framework. I think my friend and I will keep building this token library though. For anyone new to maptool, or people that don't have a lot of time it should still be a big help to have tokens that have attacks/saves/etc manually entered and that work in any version or framework. I'm probably going to start collecting them by CR and posting them on thetangledweb and on here.

Return to “Requests for HELLLLP!”