Players Get Eternal Load

If you have searched the other User Creations subforums and an answer to your question has not been found, please post here!

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

SetArk
Kobold

Players Get Eternal Load

Post by SetArk »

So, i've been running a campaing on maptools and everything has been fine for some time.. But then, today when they were to enter on a new dungeon, the players connected to my game, but when they started to load the Map, they bugged out.
They were stuck on a Loading Assets 22/26 for a LONG time.
I've tried deleting some objects and turning off all the lights... And still they couldn't load it up ^^"
I use the latest version 1.3b91.
Anyone knows how to go around it?

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Players Get Eternal Load

Post by aliasmask »

If there is a crash during a load sometimes an asset gets corrupted and causes the hang up. I recommend going to .maptool/assets, sort by date and delete the last weeks or so.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

SetArk wrote:So, i've been running a campaing on maptools and everything has been fine for some time.. But then, today when they were to enter on a new dungeon, the players connected to my game, but when they started to load the Map, they bugged out.
They were stuck on a Loading Assets 22/26 for a LONG time.
I've tried deleting some objects and turning off all the lights... And still they couldn't load it up ^^"
I use the latest version 1.3b91.
Anyone knows how to go around it?
1) When you have the map open how much memory is it using (bottom right hand corner)?
2) How much memory are your players assigning to MT (have them check Help>Gather Debug Information to be sure)?
3) Provided that your players are assigning about 50% more memory than the map in question is using, have only one player connect to the server and let them download the map.
4) How large is your campaign file? And are you using only PNG's and JPG's on the map?
If there is a crash during a load sometimes an asset gets corrupted and causes the hang up. I recommend going to .maptool/assets, sort by date and delete the last weeks or so.
This is good advice, but this would usually only explain one client (the one with the buggy cache) not being able to load a map, not all clients failing.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Full Bleed wrote:
This is good advice, but this would usually only explain one client (the one with the buggy cache) not being able to load a map, not all clients failing.
I was thinking this could be possible if everyone was loading the map with a very large image and the server crashed. They would all likely be stuck on the same asset loading and then the crashed could have corrupted it.

Sereptus
Giant

Post by Sereptus »

I had the same problem just last night. Players could go to any other map but the one that I needed them on. I tried deleting all the other maps in the campaign and it didn't help.
-The clients were running Maptools at Maxmem 2048, Min 64, and stacksize at 4. These are the same setting I run on. I've heard that a stack of 3 is plenty but have never had any problem running with 4.
- The memory box at the bottom right shows 510M/1570M
- When I connected my laptop (using LAN)to my desktop server to test it loaded right in if this is any kind of clue for what is happening.
- I will be doing further testing tonight and through the week and I'll keep you guys updated.

-Here is a link to the map that was giving me grief, just in case it helps

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5vj0id69kmwbn ... rpmap?dl=0
OOOHH RegEx....YOU BITTER-SWEET BEAST!!!

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Sereptus wrote:I had the same problem just last night. Players could go to any other map but the one that I needed them on.
Try starting the server and having only one player connect and go to the map.
Be patient and see if they eventually properly download the map.
If they do, add additional players one at a time.

If the first person still can't get into the map, do as Alias suggested and have them delete their asset cache and try again.

Rinse and repeat.
When I connected my laptop (using LAN)to my desktop server to test it loaded right in if this is any kind of clue for what is happening.
This just lets us know that the map isn't bugged and the problem lies elsewhere.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Sereptus
Giant

Post by Sereptus »

Ok, so we completely cleared the assetcache folder located in .maptool on the clients machine and reconnected. It took a while (for it to reload assets I'm assuming) but yeah! That worked! Second time loading in went really quick! Now, the other problem we have and I've had before is for some reason out of no where there client will disconnect and reconnect periodically though out the session. I'll look to other threads for this fix though. Thanks a lot AM and Full Bleed!!

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Sereptus wrote:Now, the other problem we have and I've had before is for some reason out of no where there client will disconnect and reconnect periodically though out the session. I'll look to other threads for this fix though.
That is almost always a connection problem on their end (unless it's happening to all of your players, in which case it's probably a server connection problem.) This connection inconsistency might have been the root of the corrupted asset cache problem.

Some ways to strengthen their network connection:

1) Use a wired connection.
2) Reduce network use outside MT (i.e. turn off torrents and intensive video streaming).
3) Update network card/adapter drivers. You might even want to experiment with a larger Transmit Buffer setting (see MT Network FAQ for where this is usually a fix).
4) Power cycle router every once in awhile.

When a player starts having this problem have them immediately run tests at speedtest.net and pingtest.net. They can also run a 24 hour Smokeping test from dslreports.com to get a clearer picture on their line quality.

Sereptus
Giant

Post by Sereptus »

That is almost always a connection problem on their end (unless it's happening to all of your players, in which case it's probably a server connection problem.) This connection inconsistency might have been the root of the corrupted asset cache problem.
_ This came a little too late to test, and I suspected something along the same process. Although everything worked ok with loading in the map as we previously discussed and solved, one client hooked up to me tonight and another just came over and joined him on his machine to play. We had 3 disconnects from his side so I remotely took over his computer and downloaded the .campgn file to his system then let him become the server. No problems from that point on.

-An interesting thing happened when I was the server is that (as a fix in a crunch) I switched from direct internet to wireless as I have both capabilities and they were able to connect immediately where as they were having an "Java loading exception time out error" before that, even though we had tested it earlier and they could connect. To clarify, we tested the map, it worked, everything was fine. We shut down for a break, they came back and were unable to load in until I switched to wireless. That was a little strange as it was the same two machines connecting, just later...maybe an hour.

I guess I can reasonably deduce it's my system network somehow but I guess I'll take a look at updating my Network driver and the Network FAQ and see about the Transmit Buffer size as well.

Thanks for your insight, I really appreciate this when just trying to move the story and adventure along with out the hic-ups!! Tonight's game was still counted a success because of your guy's input we still got in about four hours play! Thanks again :P

Return to “Requests for HELLLLP!”