Can you Make small maps out of a large map?

If you have searched the other User Creations subforums and an answer to your question has not been found, please post here!

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

pandapentium94
Kobold

Can you Make small maps out of a large map?

Post by pandapentium94 »

Okay so I recently made a pretty huge map, lots of objects, pretty in depth vision blocking but I think its consuming way too much memory. So what I would like to do is to take chunks of it and make it a new map that I can load in through the campaign. Is this possible?

Example:

OOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOO

The yellows are two cities connected to each other by a road system. Now can I cut them out, paste them to a new map so I can load them and it would save me a ton of memory. It would have a simple cloud that I made from some other smoke cloud. I made it opaque so you can barely see through it, like real smoke :D

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Can you Make small maps out of a large map?

Post by aliasmask »

Depends on how you created your map. You'll have to manually move objects to objects layer on new map. The relative positions are saved when you copy/paste, so that's good. If you have drawn backgrounds those need to be redrawn. If you have a larger image as a background then you'll need editing software to save the part you want and put in new map. You have to redraw vbl.

You may want to reduce the vision range of the map from 1000 to 240 or something like that. Maybe turn off PC reveal FOW when starting server and just expose areas you want or occassionally hit ctrl-shift-o to clear the FOW data on tokens.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

pandapentium94 wrote:Okay so I recently made a pretty huge map, lots of objects, pretty in depth vision blocking but I think its consuming way too much memory.
You can see your memory consumption in the bottom right hand corner. If you're not bumping up against you max memory setting (which you should fix using information from your other thread) you might not need to break the map up at all (as it will be 4 times what you are currently using).
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

should you go for this option, I've created several functions in the bag of tricks to support this (like border teleports that teleport the token to the other map when you move over it). I've also introduced shadow tokens with this idea in mind, but they currently only work on one map (so not intermap) yet.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

I had to do this for my Keep on the Borderlands map. What i did waa export it then imported it x times. Then went and deleted the objects/npc's i didn't need for each map.
-Jamz

pandapentium94
Kobold

Post by pandapentium94 »

JamzTheMan wrote:I had to do this for my Keep on the Borderlands map. What i did was export it then imported it x times. Then went and deleted the objects/npc's i didn't need for each map.
That... that is genius. I would have never thought of that! Thank you so much! Well it looks like we all just got Jammed ;)
Parks and recreation for those who don't know.

But on a side note, my map always starts to the lower right of my map. And I have to zoom WAYYYY out and scroll and zoom in every time I load my campaign. Is there a way to fix this? Like change where the camera starts at?

And another thing, the Bag of tricks, I don't understand how to use macros. Just to be completely honest. But the teleport thing sounds awesome, and theres a lot of other functions from it that sound cool.

Yet another question for any one who knows. Is there actual attacking Maptools? Like taking one token, maybe dragging it over another and it deals say like 25 damage to it? Or like it damages it for 2D8? I've looked but all I've found are macros for it and I don't understand how to use/install those.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

pandapentium94 wrote:
JamzTheMan wrote:I had to do this for my Keep on the Borderlands map. What i did was export it then imported it x times. Then went and deleted the objects/npc's i didn't need for each map.
That... that is genius. I would have never thought of that! Thank you so much! Well it looks like we all just got Jammed ;)
Parks and recreation for those who don't know.

But on a side note, my map always starts to the lower right of my map. And I have to zoom WAYYYY out and scroll and zoom in every time I load my campaign. Is there a way to fix this? Like change where the camera starts at?

And another thing, the Bag of tricks, I don't understand how to use macros. Just to be completely honest. But the teleport thing sounds awesome, and theres a lot of other functions from it that sound cool.

Yet another question for any one who knows. Is there actual attacking Maptools? Like taking one token, maybe dragging it over another and it deals say like 25 damage to it? Or like it damages it for 2D8? I've looked but all I've found are macros for it and I don't understand how to use/install those.
1. maptool always starts on load on the coord 0,0. You can turn on grid coords in the settings to see where your map is (you can also see the coord in the lower left). To get it to load on another location you can (once more) use the bag of tricks. There is a setting where you can set the map to load initially and and the coord to focus on. theres also a macro 'change map(?)' which you can use and together with a 'centre of me' token it will load that map centred on that token.
2. there are a lot of tutorials with the BoT, one with installation instructions and one big one with an entire overview of its functions. I would suggest to get a cup of coffee and watch them.
3. attacking tokens... yes there are many ways of doing that, including one that you described, but they all make use of macros and it usually boils down in you creating them yourself. I would lay of this for a while though until you get more comfortable with using mt without that.

Return to “Requests for HELLLLP!”