[Request] GUMSHOE

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

RPMiller
Demigod

[Request] GUMSHOE

Post by RPMiller »

Has anyone created a Framework for the GUMSHOE system?
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me.

ImageImage

booga
Dragon

Re: [Request] GUMSHOE

Post by booga »

I don't think so,

but it'd be most welcome as it could be transformed for other games based on this system, like Trail of Cthulhu.

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

Im working on a Gumshoe framework. Its not done yet, but if you like, you can have a look. Feedback is appreciated.

EDIT:
Latest Version:
v1.1
Last edited by CoveredInFish on Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

booga
Dragon

Post by booga »

I played with it a bit,

and it's a very good start IMO. I like the CSS display, it's very promising. Do you intend to make it so that users will be able to adapt it to their specific Gumshoe RPG ? I personaly only play Trail of Cthulhu and I believe the set of skills is a bit different. It'd be nice for the GM to somehow be able to add/remove skills via a macro.

Thanks for your hard work, and keep up with it !!

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

Yes, it generates all skill lists and related stuff dynamically from lists the gm can enter. Have a look at the Lib:Setting-Token. There are a bunch of macros called Something _FearItself. You would have to make some _ToC.

I'm not aware of rule mechanics specific differences, so i have not taken those into account yet.

booga
Dragon

Post by booga »

Cool,

I don't think game mechanics are different. I looked at the Lib:settings and saw the Frea Itself macros (two of them). Would the GM have to include two extra macros for his setting ?

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

Just copy all something_FearItself macros, edit them as you wish and rename them to something_YourSetting. There is a macro, i think it's "setting" but im not at my computer right now to look it up, that just sends the text "FearItself". Change that to "YourSetting".

Done.

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

Any good suggestions for links about this system? Wikipedia and their website turned up scant info other than it wont prevent you from finding clues, it's about interpreting them. I'm interested in a little more about this thematic crunch and how the mechanics work differently than other RPGs.

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

Main site: http://www.pelgranepress.com/gumshoe/
Forums: http://dyingearth.com/forum/default.asp?CAT_ID=9
Review: http://www.flamesrising.com/gumshoe-rpg-review/
Fear Itself review: http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/13/13351.phtml
Trail of Cthulhu review: http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/14/14160.phtml

You can also ask me specific questions if you want. I was a playtester for ToC and MCB.
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me.

ImageImage

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

Did some more work.

fw gumshoe 1.0

I would say all necessary features are implemented. Since i have no play-testing with it yet and beeing quite noobish with gumshoe at all, I'd really appreciate feedback.

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

Next version. (saved for 1.3b60)

Gumshoe framwork v1.1

I really lost track what changes i made, but there are plenty. Selecting a specific seting is made easier. Hidden difficulties are possible. Settings are more configurable.

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

Tried to DL your FW but dropbox game me an error. Hope to check it out, I bought Mutant City Blues and will be interested in checking it out.

Two things I thought of when it comes to these types of games is the need for notes and potentially handouts. I know we don't necessarily have to have framework stuff to handle those things, but any suggestions from your games on how your players keep track of that stuff? I almost feel like it'd be worth it to have a google doc open in addition to MT.

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

Hmm ... sorry, seems to work for me. Have you retried it? I can upload to a different host and post a link if necessary.

As for note taking... I havent played any gumshoe yet with MT. My framework wasnt playtested by me at all ... hope to do it someday but there is always so much more to play than time.

I think a shared google docs document or a wiki might be a good solution, but you could probably build something inside of MT as well.

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

Worked this time - must have been on dropbox's end the first time. Thanks!

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

Anybody had a chance to use the fw yet?

Picked up MCB for one group, another is looking into maybe grabbing EsoTerrorists to run a Supernatural themed game or two.

Return to “User Creations”