Color Coded ID Tags

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

TheIneffableCheese
Cave Troll

Color Coded ID Tags

Post by TheIneffableCheese »

This is something that came from my group's practice when using minis. Often when we would fight a bunch of the same thing (e.g., 6 orcs), we'd end up using multiples of the same mini, and to differentiate each of them we'd use sets of the same colored dice to break them into groups to make table talk more efficient ("I attack red number 3").

We're using Maptool to replace our at-the-table battlemat, so we had a need for something similar. Enter Color Tags.

I made four sets of ten tags (Blue, Green, Red, and Yellow - each 1-10). They have a thin colored boarder with a square in the upper left that has the number on it. You can see what the blue ones look like here.
ColorTagsExamp.JPG
ColorTagsExamp.JPG (267.51 KiB) Viewed 1149 times
I set each of the tags up as a State with incremented names (Blue1, Blue2, Blue3, etc). Personally I put them into groups called "Color Group Blue" etc, to keep them together and sorted next to each other in my State menu.

You can download the entire pack here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/204 ... orTags.zip

I also wrote a macro script that loops through the tokens selected and applies a set of color tags starting with 1 and incrementing up. The nice thing is if the tokens are named with incremented numbers starting with 1 (Troll 1, Troll 2, etc.), the loop assigns the corresponding tag to the existing number in the token name. More a happy accident than anything, but still nice.

Code: Select all

<!-- checking for too many tokens and set list if good -->
[h: Num = listCount(getSelected())]

[h, if(Num>10): assert (1==0, "You may not assign tags to more than 10 tokens at a time", 0); theList = getSelectedNames()]

<!-- Set the start of the counter -->
[h: Tag = 1]

<!-- Apply color tag and increment -->

[h,foreach(token, theList, " "), CODE:
{
	[h:NewTag = add("Blue",Tag)]
	[h:setState(NewTag, 1, token)]
	[h: Tag = Tag+1]
}]
The example is for the Blue tags, but all you need to do to make it work for the other states is to change the color name string in the foreach loop.

I hope someone else finds these useful.

Tanthos
Giant

Re: Color Coded ID Tags

Post by Tanthos »

Hey, this is kinda nice and convenient. Thank you! :)

Return to “User Creations”