TyeJae Framework

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

TyeJae
Cave Troll

TyeJae Framework

Post by TyeJae »

Just wanted to post my framework for 4e D&D so that people could take a look at it. I have been slowly making changes to it over the past SEVERAL months and finally at the point where I feel it is getting there.

I must say before I go any further though, that this framework would not be possible if it weren't for Rumble. I've based it strongly off from code he's done already (actually started just editing his framework) and he also has helped me get past many bumps in the road. So, I thank you Rumble for all your help.

Some key things that I like about my framework:
1. Experience is configured automatically when you kill a monster.
2. Health Bar shows temporary hit points.
3. You can drop items to the map and other players can pick them up
4. You can loot monsters when you kill them (as well as gold)
5. Pleasing to the eye
6. States are handled on a single token (speeds things up).
7. Very customizable

I will end with some screenshots to show some of the other features
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
So yeah, let me know what you think. Here is the download

Edit: The next thing I am working on is a merchant token that the players can interact with and buy items from. I'm about 1/4 done on that.
Last edited by TyeJae on Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Creations:

skester
Giant

Re: TyeJae Framework

Post by skester »

6. States are handled on a single token (speeds things up).
How do you do this? Does it speed things up a lot?
I'm interested in the details of this as well.

I play Pathfinder/3.5 but am always interested in finding new stuff to put into my framework.

I'll definitely take a look.

Skester

TyeJae
Cave Troll

Post by TyeJae »

How do you do this?
I just drop the "States" token into each map I create (usually very far away from the battles so that it doesn't show up in targeting). And wrote the code to always put the timer on that state instead of on each individual token.
Does it speed things up a lot?
VERY much. One thing I hated was how long it took to end the turn. It was like push End Turn, wait 10 seconds then the turn would finally end. With this change it is instantaneous (maybe 1 second if it has a lot of states to remove).
I'm interested in the details of this as well.

I play Pathfinder/3.5 but am always interested in finding new stuff to put into my framework.

I'll definitely take a look.

Skester
Yeah its really fun doing it, because my players have healing potions. And if someone needs one they can drop it, then the other player can pick it up and use it. All during battle. It makes it cool.

Let me know what you think when you look at it.
My Creations:

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I haven't actually seen your campaign, but it looks and sounds really good. You may be able to use 1 token for your states and have it on a separate map. What I do is add the property "libid" to the token. I also make it a library token. It's also important to have an onCampaignLoad and set the libid there on start up because it can change seemingly randomly between game loads and server startups. Here's an example:

Code: Select all

[h, if(isGM()): setLibProperty("libid",currentToken())]
It's now pretty easy to access all the properties of the lib token from whichever map.

edit: oh, the reason for the libid is to use the non library token specific functions where id is a parameter.

TyeJae
Cave Troll

Post by TyeJae »

I initially tried to make a Lib:States token, but I was running into problem after problem (that I didn't know how to fix) so I opted for the easier route of just having the token be on every map. I got lazy I guess... lol
My Creations:

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

In my defense, I did make a change in my framework that reduced turn-end times significantly (down to the 1-3 second mark' it's so much nicer - previous versions were excruciating). :D

I will be taking a look at the state handling, though - that sounds interesting. I did something like that with an abortive version of my framework (I have a Lib:Init token that handled all initiative functions). It was very fast, but I never incorporated it because it required too much other fiddling to easily integrated. I may revisit it.

TyeJae
Cave Troll

Post by TyeJae »

Yeah I initially tried editing your framework, but when I changed around how the states were handled, it threw everything out of whack. There are so many things linked together its crazy. In every framework really. I love this stuff. Really enjoying coming up with stuff and trying to implement it. The merchant token I am working on is going to make things more fun for the player.
My Creations:

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

TyeJae wrote:Yeah I initially tried editing your framework, but when I changed around how the states were handled, it threw everything out of whack. There are so many things linked together its crazy.
It may be in every framework, but I know mine is. I don't even remember how states work (which is why I kept thinking, "I should do this, but...no way man, too hard").

However, I was looking at yours and I see what you're doing with it, and I think that's a good approach. Anything to eke out more speed is good!

I also noticed that you'd put the debugging stuff in "Not Sure About." I don't know if you figured out how to use it, but basically, it's a function you can call and give the names of variables, and it will tell you what the variables are at that point.

So, if somewhere in a macro, you put:

[h:debug("variable1", "variable2", "variable3")]

you'll get an input that pops up with variable1, variable2, and variable3 listed, along with their values at that point in the execution. The quotes are important, by the way. It's helpful if something isn't coming up right, you can see what various variables are and maybe see where the problem is.

TyeJae
Cave Troll

Post by TyeJae »

However, I was looking at yours and I see what you're doing with it, and I think that's a good approach. Anything to eke out more speed is good!
Thanks, I've been working on that for a while now. :D
I also noticed that you'd put the debugging stuff in "Not Sure About." I don't know if you figured out how to use it, but basically, it's a function you can call and give the names of variables, and it will tell you what the variables are at that point.
Yeah, I was using your debug code during creation, but I was erasing them when I didn't need them anymore. But I must have left one somewhere because when I delete the debug thing I get an error... lol
My Creations:

madmaxneo
Giant

Post by madmaxneo »

Does anyone know if this 'TyeJae Framework' still exists somewhere? I'd like to take a look at it to see how it all works.

Bruce

Return to “User Creations”