(wip) SR 4 framework

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

aku
Dragon

(wip) SR 4 framework

Post by aku »

Ok, so after a long hiatus from working on this, i've made some progress, and have an almost* useable system here I still need to get an initiative system that works into it.

Current Features

I would consider this a "lightweight" framework. There is a targetting macro, which is optional for combat situations. You can also roll directly by the "Skill Roll" Macro. Includes a damage/healing macro.

Instructions

Copy Sample PC token. Either edit token to set up attribute ratings (note i will have a front end macro to edit this soon) Once your attributes are entered, you can go ahead and add skills. Once your skills are added, you can use skill roll, and select the linked attribute, apply modifiers, and enter a note to be printed once rolled. Edge (see below for disclaimer) and gremlin rolls are also supported.

Things to be added
  • Edge:gets rolled, but need to add counter to make sure it's not used if it's available
    Initiative:it aint there at all, yet.
Last edited by aku on Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Paradox
Dragon

Re: (interest check) SR 4 framework

Post by Paradox »

Ironically I found this post while searching for Veggie's. :mrgreen:

Sorry!

I would find it welcome, but I would understand if you've already moved on.
I no longer believe that MapTools is usuable or intended just for programmers. MapTools is for everyone.

bmcoomes
Kobold

Post by bmcoomes »

I'd be inerested, right now I'm using Veggie's which works but like to see something more like MikeKozar's if you havn't see his it's quick kewl but not very user friendly when you trying to learn how to use it.

Thanks,

Paradox
Dragon

Post by Paradox »

bmcoomes wrote:I'd be inerested, right now I'm using Veggie's which works but like to see something more like MikeKozar's if you havn't see his it's quick kewl but not very user friendly when you trying to learn how to use it.

Thanks,
Bmcoomes,

Does Mike Kozar have his posted somewhere? I wouldn't mind taking a look at it if he did. I reaize it may not be user friendly at first, but to some extent I can make that complaint about almost any FW (some are better or worse than others).

Anyway, I'd love to check it out. Does he have a thread for it? I might be overlooking it.
I no longer believe that MapTools is usuable or intended just for programmers. MapTools is for everyone.

Paradox
Dragon

Post by Paradox »

Disregard: Search is your friend, blah blah, blah. No he doesn't have one posted.

I sent him a PM regarding it.

Anyway.. I like Veggie's simple clean approach, but I'd be interested in any alternative. Include anything aku (the original poster) wants to try.

aku
Dragon

Post by aku »

over all i dont mind veggies. The biggest problem i have with it, is it seems wholey unintuitive on how to track "thinks" Theres physical, stun, matix and ammo bars, but no macros that change them, it needs to be done by hand (apparently), secondly, want to change your physical damage track? need to do it by hand. Since SR is not a "action" based game, as say, DnD is where you have the base rules, and then a million and a majillion actions that tweak those rules a little, i'd like to try to pretty much have most of the macro's pre built for the characters for the most part once the character sheet is done.

of course, how much of that i can actually DO, has yet to be seen :D

bmcoomes
Kobold

Post by bmcoomes »

And I have the same issue with Veggies. That is way I was checking out the other frameworks out there and Mike's is awesome but a bear to figure out how to use.

aku
Dragon

Post by aku »

Well, hopefully, i can fix that, somewhat.

bmcoomes
Kobold

Post by bmcoomes »

That would be sweet!

Paradox
Dragon

Post by Paradox »

I agree, that would be awesome. Looking forward to it when you can!

aku
Dragon

Post by aku »

I took a look at Veggies again, and he's got all of the macros there on his Lib:token, and it looks like he's put some things on his example characters, but nothing for the copy characters to make your own...

Paradox
Dragon

Post by Paradox »

aku wrote:I took a look at Veggies again, and he's got all of the macros there on his Lib:token, and it looks like he's put some things on his example characters, but nothing for the copy characters to make your own...
What Veggie has basically done is made an all-purpose generic macro, that you can customize and save to your own token.

You select your token, run the all-purpose one, add notes to customize it, and when you run it you have the option to save to your token for future use. You can then right click it to change its colors and arrange them into logical groups.

The limitation of Veggie's framework is that you really need to know the rules of the game; the framework will not "carry you" in terms of GMing or playing. There is next to no automation in it, merely the tools to that you would need at the face to face table.

I just want to make that distinction clear before we pan Veggie's framework too much. It gives you roughly the same tools that you would need at a face to face table, no more but no less. In that respect it is very simple, elegant, and practically speaking fast (because automation can run pretty slow sometimes).

However, in a combat situation, when you roll your attacks you need to add all the modifiers manually, and count your hits manually. Then the defender still needs to roll to dodge (or whatever), account for modifiers manually, and count those net-hits manually. The GM still needs to determine if damage actually occured, and then manually subtract what is soaked by armor.. and finally apply the damage manually (with a macro). Basically what I'm trying to illustrate is that each step of the game has to be sorted out by the GM and the players just as they would at the face to face table. Veggie's framework is basically an initiative tracker that keeps track of damage, and has an advanced dice roller. That's it.

Nevertheless, you can run an entire game with it just fine. Which is why I don't like to knock it too much. Back in the day, that use to be enough for some folks. It's just not doing a lot of the 'legwork' for you. You're just not much past the face-to-face experience.

The only modifiers the Framework will keep track of is Physical Wounds and Stun, and their impact on rolls.. which apply to almost everything but resisting damage, so they're easier to implement because of the near universal aspect of them.

aku
Dragon

Post by aku »

Maybe I was brain dead then but I thought there was more on his example characters... I'm not sure how much more I can get. Ammo tracking SHOULD be relatively easy (make a macro for each type of shot, a form for the choices, and roll) beyond that I make no promises lol

aku
Dragon

Re: (wip) SR 4 framework

Post by aku »

Ok sports here's my current pls re:ammo counts. I plan on having a macro for single shot, burst fire and full auto. The burst fire would have the option for narrow and wide and whatever else I need a simple check or current ammo will be able to determine if it is a w shot burst or needs to call the single shot macro.

Anyone see any issues with this attack

aku
Dragon

Re: (wip) SR 4 framework

Post by aku »

Ok, so after a long hiatus from working on this, i've made some progress, and have an almost* useable system here I still need to get an initiative system that works into it.

Current Features

I would consider this a "lightweight" framework. There is a targetting macro, which is optional for combat situations. You can also roll directly by the "Skill Roll" Macro. Includes a damage/healing macro.

Instructions

Copy Sample PC token. Either edit token to set up attribute ratings (note i will have a front end macro to edit this soon) Once your attributes are entered, you can go ahead and add skills. Once your skills are added, you can use skill roll, and select the linked attribute, apply modifiers, and enter a note to be printed once rolled. Edge (see below for disclaimer) and gremlin rolls are also supported.

Things to be added
  • Edge:gets rolled, but need to add counter to make sure it's not used if it's available
    Initiative:it aint there at all, yet.

Return to “User Creations”