Campaign: Mountain Pass

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

dorpond
RPTools Team

Campaign: Mountain Pass

Post by dorpond »

Well, I first started playing around to see overall performance. That ended up with a pretty advanced campaign file. First I created the mountain pass. That is a mountain that has a cave that leads from one side of the hill to the other. I loaded it up with LBL and overall, it tested fantastic! Performance rocked! Very cool!

So then I decided to make another hill; this time make it with a path around the hill that leads to the top of the hill. To pull this illusion off, I had to use multiple textures and LOTS of back shading to make the hill appear 3D. At the end of the day, that killed my performance even on my Zippy PC. That is too bad becasue I was really looking forward to expanding on this campaign by adding more trees, a couple villages, monster camps, rivers, etc..

I think I will have to stop here however until we can make transparency perform better but I think (I could be wrong) that is going to have to wait for a push to Java 6 which is a while down the road.

Let me know what you think. I would like to know what you think of the artistic effects and more important, how it performs on your PC. Please let me know the latter since it is very important to the developers and I.

http://rptools.net/dorpond/MountainPassV2.cmpgn

NOTES:
1. All trees have LBL
2. Cave is all LBL
3. Watch towers have LBL
4. Hill with path does not have LBL and is in progress.
5. This WHOLE map was created with texture drawing (oops - incorrect; the watch towers are stamps)

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Thanks for your work Dorpond. :shock:

You and the other MapTool graphics wiz-kids make life a lot easier for us graphics lamers. :oops:
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

The cave mountain seemed to work fine, the hilltop pass would stall pretty hard when hitting transition points (invisible borders on the internal image chunks).

Yet another campaign for me to use to tune the rendering :)

Thanks !
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

In case someone wants to use Version 1 of the campaign file, you can download it here:
http://rptools.net/dorpond/MountainPassV1.cmpgn

It doesn't have the large hill with the path going up but at least you could use it for a game. ;)

Let me know how they both perform for you.

Thanks!

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

RPTroll wrote:Thanks for your work Dorpond. :shock:

You and the other MapTool graphics wiz-kids make life a lot easier for us graphics lamers. :oops:
LOL - no problem RPTroll - I enjoy doing it! Making these types of maps really puts Maptool in perspective when it comes to its capabilities. My job here has dual purpose; make fun maps for everyone and see how those maps work in the Maptool. The data collected from the latter is great, especially for Trevor.

dLANbandit
Dragon

Post by dLANbandit »

I really like that map it is amazing.

Trevor: How is blocky vision supposed to work? I tried setting up a vision named Threat Area with Blocky and a 5 ft radius. It ended up being just the upper left threat area lit up with the bottom right grid squares not shown as in the threat area. If blocky isn't supposed to center on the square and radiate out in touched squares it sure would be useful to create a vision that does that.

I really like being able to name visions.

Another comment on Blocky Round, I thought it would be a more realistic DND type LOS, so I tried setting up 120 ft blocky round vision. I found that it is like the round vision until the outer band where it is blocky. I expected to see blocky vision lines all the way out. I'm not sure how hard that would be to do but it would be useful to show the outline of squares crossed by the ROUND LOS without showing the ROUND LOS vision lines. That would allow me to create a vision and disable it then call it Sneak Range, Full Move Range, Run Range.

trevor

Post by trevor »

The blocky round is current anchored to the top left. That need fleshing out.

I like your idea of highlighting the cells that would be uncovered. I'll add a tracker and take a close look in 1.3 (I'm trying to feature freeze 1.2 so we can stabilize and release it)

dLANbandit
Dragon

Post by dLANbandit »

I was playing around with the vision with a 10ft round vision and a 120 ft forward conic vision.

Wandering through the right side of the cave where the columns could be very dangerous if you don't go slow and look around you. Something could easily sneak up on you in there.

trevor

Post by trevor »

dLANbandit wrote:Something could easily sneak up on you in there.
Mwahahaha !

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Well, I found that making the mountains with stamps allows Maptool to perform a hell of a lot better than drawing them out with texture draws and transparencies.

I like creating maps better with texture drawing since it allows more flexibility but I wanted you all to know that doing large things with stamps works very well atm.

Check out the performance here:
http://rptools.net/dorpond/MountainPassV3.cmpgn

ooklamok
Kobold

Post by ooklamok »

Hiya... the link doesn't seem to work anymore. Any chance of getting it reposted?

Thanks!

trevor

Post by trevor »

ooklamok wrote:Hiya... the link doesn't seem to work anymore. Any chance of getting it reposted?

Thanks!
In progress

trevor

Post by trevor »

Fixed

ooklamok
Kobold

Post by ooklamok »

Thanks!!