DIY - GM RIG for Roleplaying

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

Glock-9mm
Giant

DIY - GM RIG for Roleplaying

Post by Glock-9mm »

So I have been thinking for a while that Id like to make my own GM Rig just for Roleplaying.

I see others have tackled the whole "portable table" with big LCD displays etc but I want a budget yet practical GM rig.

The plan is to make the GM station on a show string budget, The thing needs to run only 3 peices of software, Maptools, DM Genie & My Info! so I think thats eay enough to do with 3 screens and 1 extra output for running a projector if I need one.

I own my own house now and when we brought it I managed to (This translates to "She let me think I won") win my own full time gaming room... I have 2 big solid trestal tables and router etc but finally its time to make the GM rig...

This post will follow my great adventure (with photos)... I'll also include costs...

This means that I want 3 screens at once and I want an Unobstructed view to my players, If you imagine a star trek consol... Thats what this rig will look like, Im hoping that over the next 3-4 weeks I can complete this project. (Especially now that Ive finished putting my workshop together)

Things I have so far
  • $Free * PC: - I have a with 2 GB Ram that I got a few weeks from a mate
  • $Free * 17" Screen x 1 - My mate had an ASUS laying around
  • $Free * 15" Screen x 2 - My mate had two matching IBMs aying around
  • $4 * Cup Holder
  • $14 * 80mm Fans x2 (For keeping the monitors cool)
  • $12 * 80mm Skullwinf Fan Covers x2 (For looking cool!)
  • $Free * 12 Volt Power Adaptor to run fans
  • $86 * USB 2.0 UGA resolved
  • $Free * 4 way powerboard
  • $70 * Timber
No Longer Needed
  • $18 * AGP Graphics Card - Brought a 2nd hand one (Will Be resold)
  • Graphics Card x 1 (PCI) - (USB 2.0 UGA resolved)
  • Power supply x 1 (To run the Fans)
Things I still need
  • DVI-RGB Convertor
Anyway, stay tuned for more developments :)

If you have suggestions please feel free to suggest things. :)
Last edited by Glock-9mm on Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:33 am, edited 4 times in total.
---
Glock-9mm (Wgtn, NZ)
Shooting from the hip... Never the lip!

Geokinkladze
Kobold

Re: DIY - GM RIG for Roleplaying

Post by Geokinkladze »

If you won a games room I guess it's nowhere near the kitchen, in which case you'll probably want a fridge. If it is, then I take my hat off to you.

Glock-9mm
Giant

Post by Glock-9mm »

Geokinkladze wrote:If you won a games room I guess it's nowhere near the kitchen, in which case you'll probably want a fridge. If it is, then I take my hat off to you.
LOL, Its downstairs, We have a very big House by NZ standards :) On the upside I have a gaming dedicated fridge already :) One could say at my age... Im all about concerving energy! lol. This Christmas I will be redecorating the gaming room with new Lights and colour... Maybe even... New Carpet!

Anyway... Some of the parts arrived this week, When I get home tonight I'll post the concept Pics I have done in "Sketchup".

I discovered that the AGP card Graphics card I brought does not like windows... So rather than fight with it I brought a brand new USB 2.0 UGA, It arrived today and I tested on my work PC and it works mint! This will now be placed on the back of my normal PC at home with will give my required 3rd Monitor output. (It cost mme $87 NZ Dollars, So will likley be the biggest cost of the project)

The Spare PC I have and had air marked for this project is going to a new home, I cant be bothered messing round with it... To old for that! lol

---
Glock-9mm (Wgtn, NZ)

Glock-9mm
Giant

Post by Glock-9mm »

KA-POW!

Here are the images of the Screens I have, The Sketch up model and the current table layout!

Image[/img]

---
Glock-9mm (Wgtn, NZ)

JonathanTheBlack
Dragon

Post by JonathanTheBlack »

Wish I had a live group to make a room like this for. Perhaps someday, after the girlfriend gets over always having to do things together.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

JonathanTheBlack wrote:Perhaps someday, after the girlfriend gets over always having to do things together.
Heh... good luck with that... :)
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Scubba
Cave Troll

Post by Scubba »

I hate to add to your (shoestring) budget, but have you considered picking up an old Wacom tablet on eBay? If you are doing a lot of freehand map generation, you will be very happy you did.

Glock-9mm
Giant

Post by Glock-9mm »

Spent some time today and popped together the screen layout... I had to make osure the UGA I brought to make 2 screens into 3 was ok... It is. :)

Here are some additional pics of the screens layout.

Note: The screens pictured are not the project ones... The one in the middle is but the 2 x 22" Inch screens are my normal PC screens.
Scubba wrote:I hate to add to your (shoestring) budget, but have you considered picking up an old Wacom tablet on eBay? If you are doing a lot of freehand map generation, you will be very happy you did.
What would I do with even more screens? lol.

I'm going to run it off my PC, the reasoning is sound... 1: I dont have to transfer maps et, 2: It has 8GB Ram and 3, I know it will work :)
jfrazierjr wrote:
JonathanTheBlack wrote:Perhaps someday, after the girlfriend gets over always having to do things together.
Heh... good luck with that... :)
Ditto on the luck wishing, My Missus thinks its just cute I am a geek... Im ok with that. :)
---
Glock-9mm (Wgtn, NZ)

Glock-9mm
Giant

Post by Glock-9mm »

Well it looks as though construction should begin this weekend and tonight I'll head down and grab the Timber, Hinges and Screws....

Today the last part of hardware I needed and had to source arrived... That being the below. If you ever want Wall mounts... I fully recommend this company, they had the mounts to me within 24 hours!

Link: http://www.computerstore.co.nz/LCD-WMB301.aspx

I am still waiting on the Wirless adaptor for my PC but thats nothing to do wit the rig, Its just So I have Internet. (Im not keen to run 50 Meters of Cable yet, lol)
---
Glock-9mm (Wgtn, NZ)

CyrusStonecypher
Giant

Post by CyrusStonecypher »

The Wacom tablet isn't a display, it's a pen-based input device. If you needed to create maps on the fly it would allow you to sketch with a pen.

Glock-9mm
Giant

Post by Glock-9mm »

Ahhh... Meh.

Im fast Enough with my MX Pro mouse. :) lol
---
Glock-9mm (Wgtn, NZ)

Glock-9mm
Giant

Post by Glock-9mm »

Here are some pics of the weekends work, I am about 13rd done... If I wasnt gaming Id have got further,

Will post more Pics during the week. :)

---
Glock-9mm (Wgtn, NZ)

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Looking good! Keep the pictures coming... :)

JonathanTheBlack
Dragon

Post by JonathanTheBlack »

Newly single... I am definitely going to have to keep an eye on this thread for inspiration for my own rig at home. Hopefully I can scrounge up enough reliable and reputable players for a live game.

Return to “User Creations”